James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can my cyber truck be used to store energy in a home solar system like a power wall.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Do you mean with the solar option from the CT or transfer power from battery to battery?

Dedicated panels may be more beneficial to the formal and the latter is not the most efficient route.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I certainly hope so. It'll be a big battery sitting in the only patch of reliable sun I have on my property.

But right now, Tesla is the only BEV I know of that can't have their battery tapped by a power system. Their proprietary software won't close the contactors and allow access to the battery.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Can my cyber truck be used to store energy in a home solar system like a power wall.
If you are creative and careful for about $100 you could safely backfeed your house from the truck through its 220V outlet pretty easily, but it’s probably not electrically up to code and you would need to manually shut of your main breaker. If Tesla doesn’t have a solution for powering your house I will almost certainly do it on my own to keep the critical items running during a power outage

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I would really like to see solar car ports with battery transfer to home functions become normalized. I feel like if I put up a solar car port in my front driveway the neighbors would hate it but the CT would stay cool

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are creative and careful for about $100 you could safely backfeed your house from the truck through its 220V outlet pretty easily, but it’s probably not electrically up to code and you would need to manually shut of your main breaker. If Tesla doesn’t have a solution for powering your house I will almost certainly do it on my own to keep the critical items running during a power outage
For a $100 you could use the truck inverter without breaking code to feed into a power transfer switch or run things off an extension cord.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I certainly hope so. It'll be a big battery sitting in the only patch of reliable sun I have on my property.

But right now, Tesla is the only BEV I know of that can't have their battery tapped by a power system. Their proprietary software won't close the contactors and allow access to the battery.

-Crissa
I am sure it’s because they
For a $100 you could use the truck inverter without breaking code to feed into a power transfer switch or run things off an extension cord.

-Crissa
Thats basically the idea. I am not sure if you are allowed to plug any power source that you want to into a transfer switch without breaking code. Technically it should probably be permitted and likely if the truck is not rated for this use the city may have an issue with it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Lots of conjecture.

Right now, with existing Teslas the answer is no. The circuitry to charge a Tesla is not reversible from what I understand this is not a software thing either, but the way the charging system is designed.

With the Cybertruck, the answer is unknown. We know there will be a 220v outlet, but that would not function as a Powerwall does. You might be able to use it as a source of backup power, but it would not work automatically like a Powerwall.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, but not like a Powerwall and thus not in a way that you wouldn't consider, to at least some extent, a kluge. There are small transfer switches designed to connect portable generators to a limited number of circuits in a residence. You could install one of these in a house and connect the CT 30A bed outlet to it in exactly the same way you would connect a 30 A (7.2 kW) generator.

Any solar system that produces 240 VAC, including ones that contain Powerwalls, clearly can be used to charge the CT using either the CT's UMC or another plugin charger.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats basically the idea. I am not sure if you are allowed to plug any power source that you want to into a transfer switch without breaking code. Technically it should probably be permitted and likely if the truck is not rated for this use the city may have an issue with it.
As far as I know, there isn't a general requirement for permits of temporary power supply; or for residential, alteration of existing circuits past the supply cabinet or repair/redirecting of circuits in the supply cabinet as long as they meet basic code.

Municipalities may of course supersede this with their own requirements (A friend who lives two counties over his town requires a permit to replace anything built-in, which means many of their houses have out of date outlets)

A transfer switch completely disconnects a load from the utility, so I am not sure they have much say about what you then power it with. Otherwise UPSes wouldn't be legal ^-^

...from what I understand this is not a software thing either, but the way the charging system is designed.
It's a software thing. The onboard charger isn't reversible, no, but the car allows DC charging, and that would require no diodes in the way, so it could be used for discharging - if the software allowed it to go into DC charging mode away from a Supercharger.

The CCS protocol is more open, so it's possible for third parties to trick CCS capable vehicles into opening up the gate, so to speak. (Closing the contactors, to be specific.)

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: