Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Someone here posted a solar panel on bendable sheet I think by an inventor in Australia.

I wonder the surface area of Cybertruck if they can come up with sheets that can adhere to the body of the Cybertruck.

In which case, I don't have to clad mine with camo wrap.. :unsure:
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Is there an EV that can charge while also being driven?

And I am not talking about tow charging a Rivian or such, I am talking about charging from an external source of the vehicle (so not regenerative braking either).

Like from a trailer. Even if the trailer is generating power from solar panels, from regenerative braking, or even natural gas generator, I am not sure there is any EV that will take power while moving.

Now I like the idea of the solar vault cover and the trailer. Because I drive so little right now, even 10 miles a day above system use/drain would account for a lot of my day to day driving.

And parking the trailer at a camp site, doing some overlanding/light off road exploring, returning to camp, drain out some of what the trailer got while sitting there, is great, especially if you were pulling a trailer anyway (like cargo or RV).
Someone has hacked his model x to charge while towing. I think he tapped into the regen braking system to do it.

Seems like this shouldn’t be too hard to get working.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Someone has hacked his model x to charge while towing. I think he tapped into the regen braking system to do it.

Seems like this shouldn’t be too hard to get working.
I do not plan on throwing away my warranty as soon as I get my truck, which I am sure would happen if I tried hacking the regen system to dump in energy from an external source...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was mostly thinking of the main solar panel, and then some kind of storable solar panels that could be attached to the CT for charging or even set up nearby from the CT and plugged into the CT battery, after charging quickly disassembled and stored. The trailer for charging is good but If I'm towing something it might as well be a camping trailer w/solar
That's apparently what Elon said, that this design is just a tech demonstration, that it would be better if it lifted, was a van, or something, so it'd be shade and solar.

The thread has more replies from him in it.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------------

Can get some ideas for solar popup trailer from World's FIRST Solar Powered EV Pop-UP Campervan!

-------------------------------------------

A Great Video Tells Us A Lot More About The Stella Vita Solar RV Prototype
By Jennifer Sensiba
Published June 1, 2022
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/0...ore-about-the-stella-vita-solar-rv-prototype/

We also find out some technical details. The car’s battery is “the same size as a Tesla Model 3” (we aren’t sure which battery size), but can go 600 kilometers (372 miles) on a charge. That’s pretty damned efficient for something big enough to sleep in and relax in. Everything from the battery to the drivetrain was designed for efficiency, so that’s a reasonable and possible number. Even the weight is small for the vehicle’s size (1700 kg, 3850 lb). But it’s not unsafe. It’s built with a safety cage for the occupants and should be very safe in the event of a crash.

It would be nice to know more specifics, but they seem to not want to tell us too much at this point. Later in the video, we do find out that the vehicle’s roof (when folded down) produces 2 kilowatts peak. With the extended roof in camping mode, you get around 4 kilowatts, which is nothing to sneeze at. A complete charge can happen in 3 days, but you can get 200 km of range in a day’s worth of charging.

We get to see the presenter standing in the vehicle and looking around, and this gives us a much better idea of how big it is. The answer is that it’s a whole lot bigger than I thought from the photos. There is a TON of headroom with the top folded up, and there’s good room above the bed. I know a wide-angle lens was used, but still, it’s seriously spacious.

World's FIRST Solar Powered Campervan!
May 10, 2022
Fully Charged Show

-------

Learn more at

Solar Team Eindhoven — Transitioning to a future powered by the sun

address Brainport Industries Campus BIC 1 5657 BX, Eindhoven The Netherlands
Contact us +31 40 247 4254 [email protected]
solarteameindhoven.nl

Join Solar Team EIndhoven
Solar Team EIndhoven is searching for a new team. Do you want to be part of one of the most ambitious student teams in the Netherlands? Do you want to work in a multidisciplinary team to create innovative solutions in sustainable mobility ?

Then apply now by sending your resume and motivation letter to [email protected]

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's apparently what Elon said, that this design is just a tech demonstration, that it would be better if it lifted, was a van, or something, so it'd be shade and solar.

The thread has more replies from him in it.

-Crissa
Yea... If anything , the proof of concept is not for a trailer ,,,, its for the roof of the Robovan, or RV. The example is so simplistic , we have to consider its Tesla, probably some innovative extension solar version to change the world.... or use on Mars.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If you have battery and Solar, or even and ICE generator in the trailer, just use the trailer as a range extender and drive the trailer wheels with their own electric motors. Easy fix and the EV in front won't know the difference between being pushed by the trailer or rolling down a hill.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If you have battery and Solar, or even and ICE generator in the trailer, just use the trailer as a range extender and drive the trailer wheels with their own electric motors. Easy fix and the EV in front won't know the difference between being pushed by the trailer or rolling down a hill.
Driving a rig (vehicle and trailer) from the trailer is problematic and can lead to jackknife situations, as well as others.
Also, not sure if a trailer is a trailer if it can move on its own, from road rules/laws perspective...

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag

3.2kW so around 350W panels x 9. Also has a powerwall inside it!

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I had no idea a powerwall could be laid down flat. I figured it would not be recommended work due to the liquid cooling. Apparently that is not true. 🤷‍♂️

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
I had no idea a powerwall could be laid down flat. I figured it would not be recommended work due to the liquid cooling. Apparently that is not true. 🤷‍♂️
It actually does look upright, in the front of the trailer

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Driving a rig (vehicle and trailer) from the trailer is problematic and can lead to jackknife situations, as well as others.
Also, not sure if a trailer is a trailer if it can move on its own, from road rules/laws perspective...

With the sensors and low latency electronics we have today it should be possible to have an electric powered trailer than can help move itself without causing jackknife.

The main issue now is what is most cost effective.

------------------------------

Thor pushes forward with self-propelled electric camping trailer.
Thor Industries and German automotive supplier ZF Friedrichshafen are teaming up to clear the hurdles that stand in the way of a viable production trailer that uses electric motive power to move its own weight. The self-propelled trailer promises to be a critical tool for eliminating the efficiency and range reductions a trailer makes on its tow vehicle
By C.C. Weiss
January 13, 2022
https://newatlas.com/automotive/thor-dethleffs-electric-camping-trailer/

In July 2021, Dethleffs and ZF put the E.Home Coco to a major real-world test behind the Audi e-tron Sportback on a vacation-style journey they dubbed the Alps Challenge. Starting off with nearly-full Audi (96.4 percent) and eTrailer (99 percent) batteries, the team towed the E.Home Coco 240 miles (386 km) from Dethleffs' HQ in Isny, Germany to Lake Garda, Italy.

Much more than a basic autobahn sprint, the trip also involved climbing and descending through the Alps, including navigating the twists and turns of the Fern Pass Road in Tyrol, Austria. The team completed the journey on a single charge, consuming 82 kWh from Audi's 95-kWh battery and 74 kWh from the E.Home Coco's 80-kWh battery, factoring in the creation of a combined 17 kWh from regeneration.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype 7f07af902%2Fscreen-shot-2022-01-13-at-4.20.41%20PM

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype .amazonaws.com%2Farchive%2Fdethleffs-e-home-coco-3

All-Electric, Powered Airstream eStream Trailer Can Assist Its Tow Vehicle.
The power assist helps with the tow vehicle's driving range—good if it, too, is electric.
By Monica Gonderman
Jan 25, 2022
https://www.motortrend.com/news/airstream-estream-electric-drivetrain-trailer/

Thor Industries, owner of the Airstream brand, thinks so. Trailers don't "go" on their own, but that's about to change with the introduction of the Airstream eStream. Its traditional torpedo-shaped aluminum shell veils Thor's own high-voltage electric chassis that distinguishes this concept travel trailer from its multitudinous competition. The electric drivetrain powers the wheels, allowing the eStream to proverbially help carry, well, its own load instead of putting the full burden on the tow vehicle. This motorized assistance helps with fuel economy (or range for an electric tow vehicle) and theoretically reduces vehicular wear and tear.

Josef Hjelmaker, Thor's Chief Innovation Officer, sums up the benefits of the eStream: "The technology we co-developed creates a synchronized relationship between the trailer and the tow vehicle, enabling the trailer to move in harmony with the tow vehicle, reducing the pulling effect required from the tow vehicle. This, in turn, dramatically improves the possible range of the combination. In essence, we've turned the trailer into an electric vehicle. The technology is game-changing for our industry and others."

The Airstream eStream's electric drivetrain unit was developed in partnership with industry titan ZF. It consists of two offset electric motors that each produce 30 kW of continuous power or a maximum of 90 kW. That's about 40 hp of continuous power or a max of 121 hp each—and a maximum of 66 lb-ft of torque.

Energy — about 30 times more than the largest lithium battery system of today's Airstreams—is stored in two high voltage automotive-grade battery modules that provide 80 kWh of power for the eStream's drivetrain and amenities. Thor claims there's enough battery power to survive comfortably without hookups for up to two weeks.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype eairstream-Screenshot_20220709_132131

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
EV trailers that assist in tow.

Not just for personal vehicles. The professionals are in on it too.

ZF Group is a worldwide supplier of commercial trucking drive, brake and steering systems. They also have 4-wheel steering systems for trucks.

Bosch also is a worldwide supplier of commercial trucking systems.

----------------------------

ZF’s Environmentally-Friendly eTrailer Recognized by CLEPA Innovation Awards 2020
The eTrailer is equipped with an electric motor and uniquely connects truck and trailer vehicle controls to maximize operating efficiency, lowering fuel consumption and emissions.
2020-Nov-26
https://press.zf.com/press/en/releases/release_21889.html

The eTrailer’s intelligent motor recuperates electric energy during braking and downhill maneuvers which can then be reutilized to power the vehicle’s traction or to operate onboard electric auxiliaries. This breakthrough semitrailer, with its integrated electric drive system, effectively enables every conventional truck to become a hybrid. It is also a complementary solution for electrified trucks extending their range and offering the possibility of a downsized electrical installation.

Making use of Free Energy: ZF's eTrailer
ZF’s eTrailer is a semitrailer with integrated electric motor. The prototype can convert every conventional truck it is coupled with into a hybrid vehicle. The eTrailer recuperates free energy during brake and downhill maneuvers. The energy can be used to power trailer local auxiliaries like refrigeration units on reefer trailers. Or it can be used to assist the truck engine with additional traction lowering the fuel consumption up to 16 percent less fuel. Building on its recent acquisition of @WABCO, ZF is accelerating the development of its products and systems portfolio to enable intelligent commercial vehicles. The eTrailer is a perfect proof for this. In this video, ZF expert Johannes Heseding explains the technology.
Oct 23, 2020
ZF Group

------

Bosch smart electrification solution for trailers and commercial vehicles
Bosch has developed a smart solution for electrifying the axles of trailers and commercial vehicles. The electrified axle recuperates energy during braking and when driving downhill, which can be used for various applications. This reduces fuel consumption and emissions. With an electrified axle, it is furthermore possible to maneuver the trailer or tractor unit remotely. The solution is suitable either for new vehicles or as retrofit.
Apr 1, 2019
Bosch Mobility Solutions

------

Sponsored

Last edited: