Solar Oasis - Roadhouse to Camel Trough

Deleted member 3316

Overlanding in an EV is going to be a very different from current experience of carrying vast quantities of fuel. If the idea is to stop burning stuff for energy a different infrastructure would need to be in place.

Remote charging infrastructure would likely take many forms.

I imagine the simplest would be situated along interstate transmission lines, just a standard charging station in the middle of nowhere and nothing in particular.

An off grid situation would/could have multiple flavours;

1, Roadhouse community with people, stores, and entertainment.

B, A high amenity but unstaffed charging Oasis. Shade, water, a vending machine stocked with generic items and/or preordered supplies.

iii, Solar canopy Direct DC feed to vehicle battery, and similar amenities to a camel trough.

What can you envision in addition or in between these three?
Edit: make sure you add context or even a specific use case to mitigate extraneous whatsboutism not helpful to the thought experiment. This thread was born from; https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/long-trip-overlanding-remote-use-case….5865/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

That’s an interesting use case and it is off-grid, but that particular solution is definitely at the camel trough end of the scale in the context of the Overlanding with a Cybertruck.

I guess it wouldn’t take much to just make it bigger.

What situation or context do you see one of these providing a good solution for Overlanding in a Cybertruck?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
States spending $ on pop up's in certain zones is an excellent solution to quickly fill gaps.

The public could even help prioritize the rollout, ie.. online poll.

Starlink internet will provide video security to help discourage vandalism, and facilitate payment.

Charging may be slow, but for those spending a weekend, it might be enough to get you back to the closest supercharger.

At least as a stop gap.. we can only get better from there.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
If there is a water source, the water battery may be an option. Pump water up to a height ( tank on a hill) and use micro hydro to generate power at night. Pump when not taking direct form the array.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Pumped Hydro is pretty robust, unlikely to work in remote Australia but it could work in many other places around the world. It does sound more expensive than solar and chemical battery. There’s probably a location where it could work inexpensively.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
you need topography and a water source.

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
Overlanding in an EV is going to be a very different from current experience of carrying vast quantities of fuel. If the idea is to stop burning stuff for energy a different infrastructure would need to be in place.

Remote charging infrastructure would likely take many forms.

I imagine the simplest would be situated along interstate transmission lines, just a standard charging station in the middle of nowhere and nothing in particular.

An off grid situation would/could have multiple flavours;

1, Roadhouse community with people, stores, and entertainment.

B, A high amenity but unstaffed charging Oasis. Shade, water, a vending machine stocked with generic items and/or preordered supplies.

iii, Solar canopy Direct DC feed to vehicle battery, and similar amenities to a camel trough.

What can you envision in addition or in between these three?
Edit: make sure you add context or even a specific use case to mitigate extraneous whatsboutism not helpful to the thought experiment.
I sounds like you have never heard of the TESLA super charger network.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
you need topography and a water source.
Australia is notoriously the oldest, flattest continent on the planet with the lowest hills, and also one of the driest.

I did some calculations for using my place with micro pumped hydro a few years back, and even though we have a reasonable 160ft terrain height difference on our 1800acres, we still needed 1800cbm (475,000gallons) for a single 130kWh charge. The required tank size alone was considerably more costly that a battery pack, let alone for two tanks that you need to recycle the water, to not waste it.

So you really need to find the trifecta for making hydro work, being height, water and easy storage.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I sounds like you have never heard of the TESLA super charger network.
There's only three superchargers in our state and it's as big as everything west of Texas in the US.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar Oasis - Roadhouse to Camel Trough Screenshot_20230408_091404_Chrome

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think autonomous oncall mobile charging platforms which service remote but accessible areas could be a possibility within the next 5 years.