Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I know very little about how Tesla makes vehicles. If they were a big automaker I’d expect them to purchase virtually everything for their cars. Being Tesla I expect them to make virtually everything themselves. Seats, motors, batteries. What about the glass, or the wheels, or the monitors, etc.? Do they make their own and, if not, do we know who supplies I am just curious.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I know very little about how Tesla makes vehicles. If they were a big automaker I’d expect them to purchase virtually everything for their cars. Being Tesla I expect them to make virtually everything themselves. Seats, motors, batteries. What about the glass, or the wheels, or the monitors, etc.? Do they make their own and, if not, do we know who supplies I am just curious.
One of Tesla’s founding principles is co-development. Tesla jointly develop and spec its components. Toyota, Apple, Mercedes, and suppliers such as Samsung, Goromine, Panasonic, etc… have all participated with Tesla.

Design is not just what a product looks like, design is how it works. Aesthetics are engineering integrated. Co-development drives quality, performance and value engineering in everything that Tesla sells. Who supplies what becomes moot as Corning Glass is not Armor Glass in the sense that Apple uses “Gorilla” glass by Corning or ”Intel Inside” branding as amplifiers in its product pricing.

Where a market fails to meet Tesla standards Tesla builds its own which it has done in battery, interior and chassis. Toyota may be producing a Tesla SUV which I’d venture a guess Toyota’s experience in International markets adds core value to its design-development process.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla co-design its acoustic glass and Armor Glass. I show e-glass mfgr AGP.
Sponsored