Use Cybertruck as stationary power source.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I am not going to power up the whole house. I plan to install a transfer panel connect to gas furnace, sump bump, fridge, wifi router and 1 or 2 outlets. Perhaps Tesla can provide list of Tesla certified transfer panel. Nature gas generator or gasoline generator are noisy and require yearly maintenance.
Make sure that is a 4G/5G capable WiFi router in case the whole neighborhood is down (or starlink) ?

I have a home automation system which, when the automatic transfer switch kicks in and power is drawn from the CT, I planned would lower the temperature by 1-2 degrees (from the homeā€™s air-to-water heat pump), stop hot water production (ā€œvacation modeā€), and reduce lighting to a minimum. The home automation system would need its own battery probably.

Else I would have the automatic transfer switch in a sub panel for certain circuits as said above.

I looked into this with regard to an automatic diesel generator many years ago and it wasnā€™t such a complex electrical job (from the customerā€™s point of view) as long as I had space in the breaker panel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Iā€™m clearly no electrical engineer but I was thinking more along the lines of a new accompanying wallcharger which turns around to Ā«suckĀ» power from the CT when the home supply drops off. A more complicated home installation for sure, but the CT would also perhaps need some important changes to the inboard inverter and firmware (or piggyback on the existing outlet electronics in the bed). Iā€™m pretty sure I saw some company presenting that kind of a ā€œ2-wayā€ wallcharger. Iā€™m sure ā€œ2-wayā€ chargers will be standard practice at some point considering the increasingly powerful EV batteries just sitting there while extreme weather takes out the power of homes. Might even get cheaper home insurance with that kind of setup (especially in colder climates).

EDIT: It was Nissan who already in 2016 delivered EVs with charge ports capable of V2G (vehicle to grid).
vehicle to grid is part of the utility and the promise of distributed power.
it may be that any electric vehicle in the near future will be *required* (as in by law) to store power for the grid as a whole and provide backup during emergencies such as the recent debacle in Texas during the Arctic freeze, and/or during peak load.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I believe those solutions will come along. However, it is remarkably complicated. Certain difficult problems must be solved that involve high voltage, lots of current, and safety.

- Power from an EV can never leave the home and get onto the grid, just the same way power from a home generator can never be allowed onto the grid. There is potentially a very complex model under which that isn't true, but we have a long way to go with our grid before that.
- To you power your whole home from an EV, you'd need a circuit capable of supplying all that energy. Basically wires as fat as the ones that go IN to your power meter, and an EV capable of delivering that kind of current to something other than its drive unit.
- To power less than your whole home from an EV, you'd need a way to connect just certain circuits, the total max consumption of which doesn't exceed what the EV and related wiring can safely deliver.

Some of those issues are resolved, for generators, with an automatic transfer switch and, where the generator isn't meant to be whole-home, as sub panel containing breakers that deliver energy to select circuits. I believe we are at arms-length from having such an apparatus that could sum that up, and also communicate safely with an EV, to make all the right stuff happen at the right time.

But in the meantime, a CT with outlets could go a long way in the right direction!

(I don't practice electrical engineering much these days, but I do have the degree)

you are right on all points, and all of these issues have been solved for some time now. grid tied solar systems with battery backup disconnect themselves from the grid when running off battery so you dont fry some poor lineman repairing downed lines who thinks thereā€™s no charge on the wire. beyond that, automation of power distribution systems is extremely advanced and gets more so every month.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Teslaā€˜s opportunity to waste V2G and V2X stationary power. Powerwall was synergistic with Tesla Solar; as V2X is to Teslas. TSLA is the wood behind the arrow to be driving the tip of the arrowhead into grid-tied energy, stationary power and V2H.

There are technicals in disparate industries, building and electrical code domains. Downstream impacts exist for appliance manufacturers as seen in new ground fault requirements with low voltage fixtures. The chain isnā€™t simply Mains-centric at the PoS.

California killed CANBUS as not in CA interest. Tesla have already provided technical advise I believe from which CA benefits. Elon predicts PoE as automotive standard.

V2X brings BEV roadmap full circle for ownerā€™s committing six figures to enjoy the full and normal Tesla benefit from BEV, portable power, backup gen and solar energy investments. TSLA is not an AAPL who would never close the roadmap full circle for its customers.
Sponsored