Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
https://autoshowny.com/vehicles/

I'm not commenting on the quality of those EV vehicles with a presence at the auto show, just that there are quite a few models/brands presenting fully electric cars/suvs/trucks at this weekend's auto show at the Javitz center.

I will be going, cause its right next to the ferry I take home from work, and both thought "hmm.. I haven't been to an auto show in decades since my parents used to take us every year in the 80's and 90's" and "what an easy detour on my way home from work to check out a bunch of new electric vehicles I've never seen before."

Unfortunately, Tesla has zero presence there! I understand they have no marketing department, but this seems like a no brainer to start attracting people who wouldn't go out of their way to check out a Tesla any other time. It's part of the fun of auto shows.. jumping into every single car and imagining owning/driving it. I'm sure they would start to attract a few more people who wouldn't normally consider one when they get butts in seats and start to experience them in person. We are still at a point where most people haven't actually sat in one or know very many people with them to get a chance to ride in one. To be fair.. Rivian also doesn't have a presence at the show. Sucks cause I would really like to see the R1T in person also!

I'll be taking a close look at the F150 Lightning for my father who has already said he plans on buying one of those in a few years. He is not the target audience for the cybertruck and is quite sick of hearing me talk about it! But has no qualms about getting a fully electric truck when it's time for him to upgrade.

Anyone else plan on going?

I'll post pictures when I get them.

EDIT: adding the link to F150 Lightning video here for ease of finding...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Judging by Tesla's sales they're about to hit the point of maximum spread, like an outbreak. Pretty soon so many people will have a Tesla that everyone will eventually personally know an owner who will put their butt in a seat and answer every question they have.

Right now every single car they make is in an owner's driveway a week after the last bolt is tightened. They can't make enough to satiate demand. They literally sold 3x more EVs than everyone else combined in Q1 of this year.

I'm willing to bet the F150 Lightning production rate will resemble Rivian's production numbers. Ford has done a terrible job in sourcing battery materials, and GM is no better. When the CT is released it's first full quarter of deliveries will probably be more than every other manufacturer deliveries combined. By the end of the CTs first year of production there will be more CTs (alone) in driveways than the combined total, in all history, of every EV sold by all other manufacturers. Let that sink in.

-electric-vehicle-sales-q1-2022-CleanTechnica-logo.png

TLDR: They don't have to because every car they make is already sold and it's going to be that way for at least two more years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Judging by Tesla's sales they're about to hit the point of maximum spread, like an outbreak. Pretty soon so many people will have a Tesla that everyone will eventually personally know an owner who will put their butt in a seat and answer every question they have.

Right now every single car they make is in an owner's driveway a week after the last bolt is tightened. They can't make enough to satiate demand. They literally sold 3x more EVs than everyone else combined in Q1 of this year.

TLDR: They don't have to because every car they make is already sold and it's going to be that way for at least two more years.
True. But this will take a year or two to trickle down to the point where the last holdouts will put their butts in a friends or most likely a child's Tesla. Doesn't cost much to participate in an auto show or a couple in key big car markets with way more eyes and butts on them in a short period of time. I bet the giga fest cost way more.. and that catered to a limited number of die hard tesla fans!

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Wow, I must be pretty lucky then! Saw a Polestar sedan with paper plates yesterday in Savannah GA , and they didn't even make this list. Must mean there are fewer than 9 in the US?
(edited for terrible grammar)

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Wow, I must be pretty lucky then! Saw a Polestar sedan with paper plates yesterday in Savannah GA yesterday, and they didn't even make this list. Must mean there are fewer than 9 in the US?
Funny you should say that. Last Thursday I saw my first one while I was whizzing past jammed traffic as I headed into DC.

WAITASECONDITHINKTHATSAHEYITSAPOLESTAR! Gone.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I bet the giga fest cost way more.. and that catered to a limited number of die hard tesla fans!
Tesla Austin Cyber Rodeo Giga fest was not targeted at Tesla fans even though it was many Tesla fan's dream.

It was for Austin Tesla workers and eastern Austin area residents that had to put up with all the construction and also loss of smaller town environment (higher rents, higher property taxes, more traffic, area schools will be hugely impacted in a couple years).

The few people that own property will make a lot of money but the majority of retirees and regular workers that live in eastern Austin but do NOT work at Tesla might eventually have to move because of higher costs.

Last edited:

Tenksen

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I think its really good to check out all EV's that are on the way so definitely check it out.

I want my Cybertruck but at the end of the day its putting down a large sum of money even if they stick at preorder prices so if the competition put out something that works for you its worth checking out.

Look forward to the pictures!

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I think its really good to check out all EV's that are on the way so definitely check it out.

I want my Cybertruck but at the end of the day its putting down a large sum of money even if they stick at preorder prices so if the competition put out something that works for you its worth checking out.

Look forward to the pictures!
I will not be buying anything else but cybertruck. But I will enjoy checking out all the new options that are coming to market. It's going to be a fun decade for ev adoption! Things have changed drastically in terms of manufacturer focus on ev despite the pandemic dominating the first two years of this decade. Even in the last 8 months since I decided to commit to buying the CT, it's been amazing to go from Tesla only with very few other non Tesla options to basically everyone having plans this decade, and many models coming out in the next year or just having come out. I see Tesla's everywhere now thanks to manufacturing increases this last year, and now I'm seeing other brands on the road. Saw my first Hyundai ioniq the other day when I was driving behind it trying to figure out what the hell I was looking at.

The ball is finally rolling close to the top of the hill and maybe start picking up speed downhill very shortly.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Enjoy the show! I love cars and auto shows. I do kind of wish Tesla participated in more things like this, but they don’t need to. And attending shows is expensive. And they did just have their own event which probably got them more buzz than a years worth of traditional auto shows.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Remember the Advertisement GOAT?
Top 10 Greatest TV Commercials
  1. Apple – “1984”
  2. Wendy’s – “Where’s the Beef?”
  3. Tootsie Pop – “How Many Licks?”
  4. Coca-Cola – “Meet Joe Greene”
  5. Budweiser – “Wassup?!”
  6. McDonald’s – “The Showdown”
  7. Energizer – “Escape of the Bunny”
  8. Old Spice – “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like”
  9. Always – “Like a Girl”
TSLA narratives are paralleling AAPL as nearly identical from my catbird seat. The ad, directed by Ridley Scott (the same guy behind Alien and Gladiator), showed a scantily clad s3xy woman fighting a brainwashing machine, inspired by George Orwell’s classic dystopian “1984.”

Sound familiar? It’s déjà vu with ICE oems .vs. Mars futuristic techno-mobility in foreground of the dystopian Blade Runner society that awaits(arguably here).

Woke…who needs a show to prove autos aren’t dino-cars? Everyday is Tesla commercial day. Only thing missing is Jim Carey’s comedic timing cast as Elon Musk in serial release. It’s the Truman Show script updated, rewritten to the present. All the same, similar tropes i.e. exploration of simulated reality, existentialism, surveillance, religion, metaphilosophy, privacy, and reality media.

The new plot twist is Cyber, AI, AR and the new C3P0 named “DOJO”. I laugh daily pulling a ref. from history that Elon’s reworked into this new TSLA gig. SteveJobs would never watch it for reals but I’m betting his new “God View” in heaven has heard plenty of lines in the new script.

That’s my outline of the first season pilot. Casting and comedic devices to whip up a needed break from this shitshow daily(aka Russia, politiks, global warming and Venezuela oil pumping). LOL you can‘t make this SciFy up. So Teslas Baby!

Pete70123

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport
Country flag
Wow, I must be pretty lucky then! Saw a Polestar sedan with paper plates yesterday in Savannah GA , and they didn't even make this list. Must mean there are fewer than 9 in the US?
(edited for terrible grammar)
Then I saw the second one
Funny you should say that. Last Thursday I saw my first one while I was whizzing past jammed traffic as I headed into DC.

WAITASECONDITHINKTHATSAHEYITSAPOLESTAR! Gone.
i saw one when I was in Tampa last week near the airport. It was the “moon” color.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… I'm willing to bet the F150 Lightning production rate will resemble Rivian's production numbers. Ford has done a terrible job in sourcing battery materials, and GM is no better. …
I think GM is a bit better off than Ford on that basis. They just spent the past 6 months replacing cells on their Bolts so they haven’t moved any new cars. Now that the recall is winding down. They should be able to crank out over somewhere between 60,000 and 90,000 cars over the rest of the year. Including some Hummers which is pretty crazy.

Of course GM‘s packaging is ridiculously heavy compared to the 4680 structural pack. And their cars are about 20% less efficient (maybe worse than that now). But for the moment anyhow they seem to have enough cell supply for a bit of volume.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think GM is a bit better off than Ford on that basis. They just spent the past 6 months replacing cells on their Bolts so they haven’t moved any new cars. Now that the recall is winding down. They should be able to crank out over somewhere between 60,000 and 90,000 cars over the rest of the year. Including some Hummers which is pretty crazy.

Of course GM‘s packaging is ridiculously heavy compared to the 4680 structural pack. And their cars are about 20% less efficient (maybe worse than that now). But for the moment anyhow they seem to have enough cell supply for a bit of volume.
What does the finishing of Bolt recall have to do with freeing up capacity to make new GM models (Hummer, Lyriq) that use Ultium battery? The battery cells are made at different battery factories, use different chemistries and different architectures.

---------------------------------------

Chevy Bolt Battery Recall: How Could This Have Happened? A full explanation of the problem causing every single Bolt EV to be under recall for a potential fire-causing defect.
By John Voelcker
Sep 13, 2021
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37552121/chevy-bolt-battery-recall-deep-dive-details/
Bolt EVs from model years 2017 through 2019 that might have defective cells. That number later grew to 68,700 vehicles.
Added together, the three recalls are expected to cost GM about $1.8 billion. The company took an $800 million charge this year, and it has said it will pursue reimbursement from LG for $1 billion in additional costs related to the expanded recall and future fixes. Advertisement - Continue Reading Below The more cells and modules GM ascertains need to be replaced, the greater the concern over availability of suitable cells. Full replacement of all 141,000 battery packs would require sourcing roughly 8.4 gigawatt-hours of new cells from LG—cells that GM likely has not planned for.
While GM and LG are separately building two joint-venture cell plants to fabricate GM’s next-generation Ultium cells—to be used in more than a dozen EVs starting production late this year—those cells have a different chemistry, use a different battery-management system, and are even a different size than the Bolt cells.

Chevrolet Anticipates Record Bolt EV Sales in 2022 - Guide ... https://www.guideautoweb.com › articles › chevrolet-antic
The record for the Bolt EV was set in 2021 — despite the recall and temporary stop-sale order—with 24,828 units sold in the U.S. (and 4,668 in Canada). Another top Chevy representative, Kevin Kelly, said he's confident the company will surpass that “pretty significantly" this year.

GM expects record year of Chevy Bolt EV sales following fire recall
Published Wed, Apr 6 2022
By Michael Wayland
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/06/gm-...hevy-bolt-ev-sales-following-fire-recall.html
“We see record numbers of sales and production for ’22, and we see ‘23 being bigger than ’22. We are bullish on both EV and EUV,” Steve Majoros, vice president of Chevrolet marketing, told media Wednesday. The automaker restarted production and shipments of the Bolt EV and a larger “EUV” version this week. Production of the vehicles at a plant in Michigan had largely been down since August, when the automaker recalled every Bolt that had been produced at the factory since 2016.

GM never even sold 28K Bolts ( Bolt & Bolt EUV) in U.S. in 2021.
Almost No Bolt sales and almost no Hummer EV sales in 2022Q1.

GM EV buyers get no Federal EV subsidies.

Chevy Bolt brand is a damaged brand in the marketplace.

Probably only way GM can get Bolt sales is by severely under pricing them and still only to the few buyers that did not pay attention to the Bolt fire stories in MSM.
How many people will trust to parking even new Bolt with supposedly now good battery in their garage/driveway and put their family and house at risk?
How many workplace parking lots, general parking lots, parking structures will keep prohibitions on Bolts?

New Bolt sales might have to compete with tons of used Bolts ( recalled Bolts with new batteries) for sale at fire sale prices.

On what realistic basis does GM base predict record EV sales for 2022?

I think GM's prediction of record Bolt sales for 2022 is based on the same magical thinking that GM used to believe they have been EV leaders for last couple years AND at the same time state they will catch Tesla by 2025.

I don't think GM EV (Bolt, Bolt EUV, Hummer, Lyriq) sales will break 40K units for 2022.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What does the finishing of Bolt recall have to do with freeing up capacity to make new GM models (Hummer, Lyriq) that use Ultium battery?
If nothing else.

GM can continue making Bolts. They retrofitted 140,000 in 6 months so they have capacity for quite a few.

Chevy Bolt brand is a damaged brand in the marketplace.
Definitely.

But they clearly have capacity to get EVs out the door if they need to.
Sponsored