Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
So one of the interesting things in the battery day presentation was that batteries were going to become structural components along with the aluminum casting frames. But the cybertruck uses the exoskeleton build instead of internal frame. So I'm curious if the battery still gets used as a structural component.
With all that I've seen of people talking about modifying the CT with add-ons using welding or drilling holes, I'd think that a structural battery as part of the exoskeleton would be a bad mix for those mods. But even with the exoskeleton, I'd think there would still be a skateboard at the bottom so maybe the structural battery just strengthens the skateboard and makes the CT even more tough?
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yeah. I was kind of hoping I could replace my partially degraded pack in 10 years with half the weight and double the range. BUT WITH 5 million on the road in 15 years some one will figure out how to grind them out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, you still need the cross-tension of the deck between the structural arches of the sides. So it would just be alot easier to make than the Y's body.

The construction of a sedan or crossover is more like the Cybertruck since they have uni-body construction instead of body-on-frame like much trucks. The exoskeleton is very similar to the unibody with only a minor difference. You still have to have structure on the inside to mount things to!

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Well, you still need the cross-tension of the deck between the structural arches of the sides. So it would just be alot easier to make than the Y's body.

The construction of a sedan or crossover is more like the Cybertruck since they have uni-body construction instead of body-on-frame like much trucks. The exoskeleton is very similar to the unibody with only a minor difference. You still have to have structure on the inside to mount things to!

-Crissa
Before, it was said the inside would be stamped steel, but not as think and maybe not stainless...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Before, it was said the inside would be stamped steel, but not as think and maybe not stainless...
Tesla has always used a mix of materials based upon what each part needed. If they find a way to replace multiple steel parts with aluminum, you bet they will. But they won't sacrifice function to do it. They'll probably be things like mounting panels and fire blocks - places where the weight of steel and the strength and easy welding isn't needed.

-Crissa

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag

I also agree with him on the timeline... I think we will see CTs rolling long before the end of next year.

SS

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

-Crissa
I would agree! Makes sense to me.

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Yeah. I was kind of hoping I could replace my partially degraded pack in 10 years with half the weight and double the range. BUT WITH 5 million on the road in 15 years some one will figure out how to grind them out.
Can't see anyone designing a vehicle where it would be impossible to readily replace a major component such as a faulty battery section/pack - if anything, going by what Elon said about recycling old packs on BD , its going to be made a lot easier.

OP
OP
Hoppi

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
Can't see anyone designing a vehicle where it would be impossible to readily replace a major component such as a faulty battery section/pack - if anything, going by what Elon said about recycling old packs on BD , its going to be made a lot easier.
I agree that the battery/pack might be made easier to replace. But replacement means removing the whole structural battery pack (basically the whole bottom of the Cybertruck between the front and rear wheels) and putting in a new one. The old battery pack would then be disassembled and recycled.

I doubt that it would be worth replacing the whole thing for just 1 or 2 failed batteries. But if you were to drive far enough to finally get a relatively large number of battery failures, then yes, there is probably a way to get the battery pack replaced.

But with the new structural batteries, I seriously doubt if you can get a single battery replaced without harming the rest of the batteries.

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
...But with the new structural batteries, I seriously doubt if you can get a single battery replaced without harming the rest of the batteries.
Agreed, That would be a back-to-base job once the whole pack was out

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Since CT is supposed to effectively be uni-body it's structure will either already include the area the batteries are located (battery compartment) or will not need the "battery box" to be structural. Therefore in either case the batteries would be replaceable as an entire "pack" as in the battery box scenario or removeable for service out of the integral "battery compartment".
Sponsored