azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
When traveling, I usually stop at truck stops to refuel, honestly. They tend to have cheaper fuel and showers and 24hrs without going into an urban core and seeking out the Safeway or Costco whatever cheap local gas which usually isn't 24hrs.

-Crissa
1 negative is the truck stops is they have a higher percentage of credit card skimmers at the pumps
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The implication of your post is that bad guys install skimmers at truck stops. Perhaps they do but they won't be installing them at Tesla truck stops because the Tesla chargers do not use credit card readers. Your comment is at best irrelevant and at worst FUD potentially leading readers here, most of whom do not drive Teslas currently and who, therefore, may not know that no card readers are involved, to fear that they will be skimmed if they charge at a Tesla charger located at a truck stop. They won't.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1 negative is the truck stops is they have a higher percentage of credit card skimmers at the pumps
...And more people to notice them. Just make sure the pumps don't look sketch.

Tesla SC do not use credit cards.
But they will have to in California beginning at the end of the year. Well, 2023 for the Superchargers, 2021 is for Destination chargers. And 2031 for grandfathered chargers.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
...And more people to notice them. Just make sure the pumps don't look sketch.

But they will have to in California beginning at the end of the year. Well, 2023 for the Superchargers, 2021 is for Destination chargers. And 2031 for grandfathered chargers.

-Crissa
Yeah, unless they put skimmers on all the pumps, if one looked different, especially the payment section, I would be VERY suspicious...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There will be no skimmers on SC terminals because there will be no credit card readers on SC terminals. Some states are considering requiring public chargers to have credit card readers but Tesla is a private network and thus exempt. Only Tesla drivers can use Telsa chargers and they don't need credit cards. If no one who can use the terminal needs a credit card to use it why would any government agency require them to be there? Because governments do unfathomably stupid things (like passing laws that require card readers on public terminals) but I hope they wouldn't be so stupid as to try to force Tesla to install them. If they did Tesla would sue and win in court.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I suppose people might charge on occasion while towing from a Tesla destination charger (but I doubt you will find those at a truck stop). As anyone can charge from a Tesla Destination charger it is public and if a charge is levied would be covered by Vermont's law. But charges are seldom levied at destination chargers. If they are that is usually quickly flagged on PlugShare with advice given as to where the nearest Level 2 charger that doesn't charge a fee is located.

In any case, do not be concerned about being skimmed at Tesla chargers. If Vermont decides that SC stalls must be equipped with useless card readers no one will use them as they serve no purpose. Thus, even a crook as dumb as the state would be little motivated to install one and even if he did it doesn't represent a threat to you as you won't be using a credit card. It's unlikely you will encounter a destination charger that charges a fee. If you do and it has a card reader don't use it.

As a point of information for non Tesla (at this point in time) drivers: you do pay for Tesla SuperCharging with a credit card. But your authentication is not via the card (which is on file with Tesla) but through the vehicle's VIN read automatically by the terminal.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a point of information for non Tesla (at this point in time) drivers: you do pay for Tesla SuperCharging with a credit card. But your authentication is not via the card (which is on file with Tesla) but through the vehicle's VIN read automatically by the terminal.
Yes, though in the future people might want to charge cars they don't have working credit cards attached to. This is going to be more an more important as the secondary markets of Teslas open up.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, though in the future people might want to charge cars they don't have working credit cards attached to. This is going to be more an more important as the secondary markets of Teslas open up.

-Crissa
The only time I have charged my Leaf at a charger that had a few with it, I used an app.

I assume that rental EVs might come with a FOB on the keychain and the charge session will be tacked on to the bill of the rental, probably with a gross upcharge.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I assume that rental EVs might come with a FOB on the keychain and the charge session will be tacked on to the bill of the rental, probably with a gross upcharge.
If you rent a Tesla you will be given a fob or keycard but these will not be used for charging. The only way to charge a BEV at a Tesla SuperCharger is to have the car registered with Tesla as authorized to charge on the SC network and this requires that the car is, in Tesla's opinion safe to charge (i.e. that it has not been declared a salvage vehicle) and that you, or someone, has a credit card on file with them and they have assent to charge you charges to that account. How the charges are handles between you and the renter will probably vary. I'd think the easiest would be to include the cost of charging in the rental fee.

What Tesla does is called "Plug and Charge" and obviously makes life much easier for the driver. EA is working on including this on their network and indeed the new version of the new ISO standard for charging stations will support it.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you rent a Tesla you will be given a fob or keycard but these will not be used for charging. The only way to charge a BEV at a Tesla SuperCharger is to have the car registered with Tesla as authorized to charge on the SC network and this requires that the car is, in Tesla's opinion safe to charge (i.e. that it has not been declared a salvage vehicle) and that you, or someone, has a credit card on file with them and they have assent to charge you charges to that account. How the charges are handles between you and the renter will probably vary. I'd think the easiest would be to include the cost of charging in the rental fee.

What Tesla does is called "Plug and Charge" and obviously makes life much easier for the driver. EA is working on including this on their network and indeed the new version of the new ISO standard for charging stations will support it.
I was thinking non-Tesla and non-Supercharger, ie all the others (Rivian, etc).

It would be great if there was a standard all EV manufacturers agreed too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well they are working on ISO 15118-20 which includes this (and V2G and inductive charging and automatic charger connection and...). I think they are supposed to have a draft out this year but who knows how long it will be before any parts of it actually appear in hardware. EA has declared that they want to implement it and I guess they could do that in the interim independent of ISO 15118-20 by keeping their own data base of VIN numbers and credit card numbers. And/or in the interim Rivian could do what Lucid has done and that is to foot the bill for the first three years of charging. That means all the EA network would have to do is verify that the VIN is on their "bill to Rivian" or "bill to Lucid" list. I don't know how this will actually work, of course, as I have never seen either a Rivian or a Lucid at an EA terminal.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well they are working on ISO 15118-20 which includes this (and V2G and inductive charging and automatic charger connection and...). I think they are supposed to have a draft out this year but who knows how long it will be before any parts of it actually appear in hardware. EA has declared that they want to implement it and I guess they could do that in the interim independent of ISO 15118-20 by keeping their own data base of VIN numbers and credit card numbers. And/or in the interim Rivian could do what Lucid has done and that is to foot the bill for the first three years of charging. That means all the EA network would have to do is verify that the VIN is on their "bill to Rivian" or "bill to Lucid" list. I don't know how this will actually work, of course, as I have never seen either a Rivian or a Lucid at an EA terminal.
I am just afraid of the preliminary standards that plagued WiFi hardware when manufacturers would jump the gate on a standard before it was ratified and made a true standard... and was close enough most of the time, but not all the time.
Sponsored