Switch from tri to dual—implications?

mahalanobis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3, Cybertruck (on order)
Country flag
When I placed my order in Nov ‘19, I chose the tri-motor simply to get max range. (Anticipated use case: towing a travel trailer.) Given the specs revealed last week, my needs would be better met with the dual. I’m currently waiting for a callback from Tesla’s order department, but meantime, has anyone else already made this change? If so, how did you do it? And did they let you keep your place in line?
Sponsored

RadoRage

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CyberTruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I'm in the same boat as you...was all in for the max range and price point of the Tri-Motor on release day (Nov19). But with the updates all around, I am aiming at an AWD dual motor version for the best range while keeping tax credit benefits.

I haven't done anything with my reservation yet...figured Tesla would reach out when getting closer to delivery window to confirm configuration.

donnyb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I am planning on doing the same thing. From what I have researched, switching from the tri to dual motor shouldn't be a problem once your turn comes up in line based on your reservation.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
There is very little difference between the Cyberbeast and AWD versions with the obvious exception of the drivetrain. The manufacturing of both is basically the same. The assembly of the front and rear drive units are obviously different, but everything else, including battery, front and rear castings, suspension, electronics, etc is all the same.

Speculation: the single motor variant will take longer because they need to reduce the battery size to (1) meet cost needs and (2) hit that efficiency sweet spot between power and weight.

To answer your question, after they are done with the foundation series (which won't take long) the choice between AWD and Cyberbeast will not majorly affect your delivery timeline. By "majorly," I mean that they may have a cancellation that's already been delivered near you, etc etc etc.

Edit: I completely misread your question and answered the question I thought you asked hahaha! I don't think that your original reservation trim matters at this point.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You likely don't need to change your reservation at all to go a dual motor. When you receive an invite email you will be able to choose from all currently produced options. Your pre-order select is not locking you into that as a choice.

The safest thing is likely to just leave your pre-order alone.

Tony Roe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I too had those same questions. So, I contacted Tesla sales the other day. They said because I had an RN number I was in a good place. They also said they will be contacting everyone when a build date gets closer to finalize my. They also said I will NOT lose my order place in line. I will also be changing from a Tri to a Dual motor. The price doesn’t warrant the need for a BEAST !!
I’m just a regular guy with with shallow pockets refusing to give GM 80k of my hard earned money. I hope Tesla stock goes through the Roof to help pay for this Amazing piece of Machinery !!!
Be Safe Out There !!
Sponsored