Taking too long... Just Ordered a Model Y.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Okay, to be fair, it's not really taking too long. However, I'm guessing it may be some time before I may take a delivery of a Trimotor. Maybe never. I'm about 200K-th position on the list and quads will be built first. I don't want to pay more for a quad, not sure what I'll do, but I suspect it's likely that I won't be able to get the truck until 2024.

My current vehicle's warranty is expiring mid year and I already spend too much on maintenance, I don't want to know how much it will cost when it surpasses 72K miles. I can also get a ridiculous price for my current vehicle on the used market and I don't want to be rushing to try to find a Tesla at the last minute, so model Y it is.

Whenever my CT order comes up I will sell the MY and move to the truck.

Tesla Cybertruck Taking too long... Just Ordered a Model Y. 1641864474291
Sponsored

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
The model Y is the absolute best car I have ever driven or owned, and I have driven 100's as a previous car salesman and have owned quite a few.

I paid $49k a year ago for a 2021 model. Kelley Bluebook is showing $59k for 2020's with 30k miles. Mine is a year newer with 20k miles. I have literally paid less than $10 for electricity for all 20k miles as Tesla gave a free year of supercharging when I took delivery. Taking delivery of a Performance Y in a couple weeks that was $61k at order, now $64k. Should be able to sell the old car to someone near $60k.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Wise move since who knows when the CT will go into production or what new pricing will be.

Your going to love your Y. Almost 14k trouble free miles on our March 2021 build that MSRP’d for $48,990. We added the $2k for the 20” Induction wheels as the only option.

What is your projected delivery date?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The model Y is the absolute best car I have ever driven or owned, and I have driven 100's as a previous car salesman and have owned quite a few.

I paid $49k a year ago for a 2021 model. Kelley Bluebook is showing $59k for 2020's with 30k miles. Mine is a year newer with 20k miles. I have literally paid less than $10 for electricity for all 20k miles as Tesla gave a free year of supercharging when I took delivery. Taking delivery of a Performance Y in a couple weeks that was $61k at order, now $64k. Should be able to sell the old car to someone near $60k.
wow......64k? with or without options (color, interior wheels). FSD?,,,,if I can get one for that, I'll do it now....gonna go check out

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Wise move since who knows when the CT will go into production or what new pricing will be.

Your going to love your Y. Almost 14k trouble free miles on our March 2021 build that MSRP’d for $48,990. We added the $2k for the 20” Induction wheels as the only option.

What is your projected delivery date?
March although I can push it as I have some time. I'm going to monitor changes in the Y, if I get lucky I might get a Texas Y, which if it has the front and rear castings perhaps it's worth it. Then again, do I want an early production run Texas Y? Not sure... would love to get a 4680 version too, but we'll see.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Only $5k and 8 month sooner delivery difference right now
Screenshot (61).png
Yeah, when I ran through the options of Model Y vs Model 3, Y perf vs LR etc. the Perf Y seemed like a good choice for only $5K more. I want the extra performance, the wheels and the option for earlier delivery. Also, I wonder if 4680 Ys will be sold as Performance models first? That might be a long shot... lol

I got the FSD to avoid the price bump to $12K and decided the $150 a month it adds to the repayment is worth it for me.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, my partner has a Model 3, same mileage as my Golf but where I have spent $100 a month on maintenance (amortized over its life so far) the maintenance cost of the Model 3 has been zero, except for tires. It's never been in the shop, never had leaking oil or water (I've had both).

That price movement is insane! I wouldn't mind if that happened for me too, but honestly, the price needs to come down, IMO to help drive mass adoption. Financially it's basically lineball with my current car when you factor in maintenance and gas costs, but what a deal it would be if it was clearly $100-$150/month less in overall automotive costs. Admittedly I could have bought the LR, but $5K doesn't make much of a difference.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
FYI; Tesla is cracking down on those buyers who don't take delivery for whatever reason.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll see what happens, I can move in March if need be. I could probably edit the order to a LR and then back again later I suppose. LOL

They may not be happy with me though.

You wonder why, there is almost infinite demand at this point.

EVFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3, 2022 MY, 2023? CT
Country flag
OP - I did the exact same thing when Elon announced the CT delay. Ordered MY and received it 3 months ahead of schedule on Dec 6th. One month in and loving it, even more than the M3 we’ve owned since 2019. You’re gonna like it too! I’m 88,500 on the list for CT, dual motor. So another 18 months is my guess.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
March although I can push it as I have some time. I'm going to monitor changes in the Y, if I get lucky I might get a Texas Y, which if it has the front and rear castings perhaps it's worth it. Then again, do I want an early production run Texas Y? Not sure... would love to get a 4680 version too, but we'll see.
Model Y's from Austin are supposed to be for local deliveries and the East Coast. Model Y's out of Freemont will be for the West Coast. I hope for your case that "Somewhere hot and humid " means
that you will get an Austin model. Also, 4680's for a March Delivery is sketchy. I am rooting for you but that maybe a little early.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Who in their right mind will want a Model Y from Freemont when Austin Models will have front and Rear Castings (I don't believe Freemont is doing front castings, correct me if I am wrong) as well as the worlds greatest paint shop.

There has been to be a way for you to request an Austin model.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Model Y's from Austin are supposed to be for local deliveries and the East Coast. Model Y's out of Freemont will be for the West Coast. I hope for your case that "Somewhere hot and humid " means
that you will get an Austin model. Also, 4680's for a March Delivery is sketchy. I am rooting for you but that maybe a little early.
yeah, hoping to delay until I can if possible. Honestly, I'd eat the $250 to get a 4680 model, plus the paint.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Who in their right mind will want a Model Y from Freemont when Austin Models will have front and Rear Castings (I don't believe Freemont is doing front castings, correct me if I am wrong) as well as the worlds greatest paint shop.

There has been to be a way for you to request an Austin model.
Agreed. There will be some who won't know or won't care, let them have the Freemont Ys... actually, if I could specify local delivery in Texas, I would do that to get an Austin Y. Even though it would technically have to be sold from a neighboring state I believe because of Texas dealer laws. I'm happy to do a short flight and a long drive back if it guarantees I get one.
Sponsored