Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AI Day is tomorrow. Not sure if it will be live-streamed but thinking it will be.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon getting ready for AI Day

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Does anybody know a time for this? Would like to watch live but the timezones might make that difficult.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla AI Day might rely on ‘one more thing’ moment to be impactful

Fred Lambert
- Aug. 19th 2021 3:07 am PT

@FredericLambert

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla AI Day Tesla-snake-charger

Tesla is holding its “AI Day” today, and the automaker might have to rely on a “one more thing” moment in order for the presentation to be impactful.

Over the last few years, Tesla started holding events, not really to unveil new products, but to present new technologies that it has been working on in certain fields.

For example, it held a Tesla Autonomy Day in 2019 and a Tesla Battery Day last year.

Tesla AI Day is expected to be similar, and CEO Elon Musk said that they would discuss advancements in both AI hardware and software, specifically with the automaker’s new Dojo supercomputer and its neural nets.

For the most part, Tesla’s AI effort revolves around solving computer vision to deliver a full self-driving system – something it has been promising to customers for years.

Therefore, while an update on the progress on developing the technology needed to enable full self-driving is welcomed by customers and investors, ultimately, it’s something that Tesla has been expected to do for years.

The real difference maker at the event might have to be a Steve Jobs “one more thing” moment.

Tesla hinted as much in its invite to AI Day earlier this month.

The automaker wrote that Tesla AI Day attendees are going to “get an inside look at what’s next for AI at Tesla beyond our vehicle fleet.”

For now, it’s anyone’s guess what that could mean, but there’s a true possibility that it could be more impactful than solving full self-driving, which is hard to imagine.

Musk has also noted that the goal of the event is to attract more AI talent to Tesla.

Electrek’s Take
To be clear, I’m not trying to downplay Tesla’s developments in supercomputing and neural network training to achieve full self-driving.

That is extremely important, but it’s also just something that needs to happen in order for Tesla to keep its promise to deliver a full self-driving system, which it has been selling to customers for years.

But if you solve important problems with computer vision in the process, it can apply to a lot of other things that could be impactful.

I won’t pretend to know exactly what it is, but something to do with robots is the leading contender at this time.

Advancements in AI-powered computer vision can make a big difference in the usefulness of robots and the involvement of famed roboticist Dennis Hong, with today’s event fueling the rumors.

Are we going to get to see a robot powered by Tesla’s AI? Who knows, but we will be watching.

Tune in later tonight for our coverage of Tesla AI Day. The event is expected to start at 5 p.m. PT (8 p.m. ET).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla is holding its “AI Day” today, and the automaker might have to rely on a “one more thing” moment in order for the presentation to be impactful.
One of those articles where you don't have to bother reading the whole thing to know if it's stupid.

Tesla AI Day is expected to be similar (to battery day),
Well if you didn't actually listen to what Tesla said about AI day, you might think so. But if you actually... read what Tesla has said about AI Day, you'd know it was meant to be about recruitment. Not some kind of product/ technology announcement day.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This made me LOL.
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 5.59.46 PM.png
I'm a software developer and have zero interest in trying to wrap my brain around the specifics of this. Waiting for the cliff's notes version. But not really expecting a whole lot based on the announcement.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I'm a software developer and have zero interest in trying to wrap my brain around the specifics of this. Waiting for the cliff's notes version. But not really expecting a whole lot based on the announcement.
As a video/3d guy who also does a decent amount of basic coding, including very basic computer vision on video clips in the past, I found it captivating and impressive what they have been able to do. I was not really into the fsd topic much at all, but now i have some serious respect for their fsd team.

I only lost interest once they brought the guy in to talk about their super computer expansion.

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Is it even ironic the guy who's bringing us an 80s post apocalyptic sci Fi vehicle in real life is now also ushering in the main reason for those 80s sci Fi apocalypse movies?

Cyberdyne much?

;)

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel