Tesla and the Cybertruck camper market

glowplug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Regarding Tesla and the Cybertruck camper market, which of these 3 possibilities would you guess is most likely?
  1. Tesla designs and builds a camper model in-house
  2. Tesla partners with a camper design company (like Four Wheel Campers)
  3. Tesla leaves the camper market entirely after-market
Sponsored

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
I suspect a combination of 1 and 2. It seems they already have ideas on the plate that they could throw over the wall to an existing company.
I would be ok with it as long as it doesn’t hold up production of the CT

Reactions: CTM
OP
OP

glowplug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I would add I don’t think #1 or #2 would even be entertained until after the 3 motor is released.

At the same it’s likely the after-market scene will be very active. I like 4W Campers and hope they take an interest.

Down the road I think there’s a good possibility Tesla does something themselves to address the camper market, or perhaps develops an actual RV.

Last edited:

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Jeep Laredo, 2012 jeep Patriot, and 2015 Kia Forte
Occupation
Security
Country flag
I agree with the first comment., #3. Four wheeler market has already guessing a high-end camper trailer and maybe others like toy haulers.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I would expect so,etching like Apple’s MFi program (made for iPhone) where aftermarket companies can get approved or certified for a part as fitting properly, using power in a way the software can track, not draining too much power (or if on a camper shell there are solar panels, supplying power correctly) and meeting some aesthetic figment criteria. I totally agree that Tesla has way too much on their plate to start manufacturing shells, trailers and the like. By the time the CT goes into production, they are already thinking three vehicles beyond it or about a factory in Australia or something. Even a certification program might be too labor intensive.

The aftermarket will produce and there will be good and bad whether Tesla contributes or not.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Is there a current 'Made for Tesla' program for any of the other cars?

I see Tesla leaving this for the market to address... and if by the time they have released the Roadster v2.0 and if they do not think the market is providing the right options, then I could see them going into that themselves.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would be ok with it as long as it doesn’t hold up production of the CT
Tesla said that the over-bed camper and quad would be available when the truck is released. Of course we would all prefer the release not be held up in any way. I have been trying to guess what such a camper would cost and filter that into my savings plan.

matpundt

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Regarding Tesla and the Cybertruck camper market, which of these 3 possibilities would you guess is most likely?
  1. Tesla designs and builds a camper model in-house
  2. Tesla partners with a camper design company (like Four Wheel Campers)
  3. Tesla leaves the camper market entirely after-market
Love it if, Tesla designs a tow camper with an extra set of batteries to drive on double your distance and/or electric use for off-road camping.

GeoMat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck 3 motor version
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I suspect that Option #2 will happen. This frees Tesla from having to invest much time and money into creating camping options while maintaining control of equipment that gets attached to the Tesla CyberTruck. This will work best for the consumer as well as Tesla's reputation

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
#3.
Already planning to use the CT to tow our Airsteam.
Yup planning to pull my Scamp fifth wheel with it. The contrast of CT angles to rounded vintage trailer should look interesting.
Your stainless to aluminum will also look pretty cool.

Thermal_Aerial

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thermalaerial.com
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Aerial Photographer
Country flag
I like the integrated camping system on the website. But a Trailer option that gives more space would be very cool. . I agree if Tesla Partners with anyone, trailer has to have solar and extra batteries, plus additional re-generative capabilities would be great for adding more power back to both Truck and Trailer while traveling.

GrpCptMandrake

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 V8 Sport, WeeStrom, Lynskey Cooper
Country flag
New forum member here - bumping this thread to hopefully address a related subject.

I'd like to use the Cybertruck for camping with one of the new self-contained slide-ins such as a Kimbo 6 (https://www.kimboliving.com/) or Scout Olympic (https://www.scoutcampers.com/). While I know that the 6.5' Cybertruck bed length works with those campers, I'm not sure about the other dimensions.

The bed width doesn't appear to be listed anywhere and based on the photos and the overall truck width, likely will not be an issue. That said, it would be very useful to know what the bed width actually is.

I'm also interested knowing the height of the cab as both campers extend over that area. From the photos, it doesn't really look like this is an issue and in fact, it looks likely that the problem will be the reverse (excessive clearance over the cab). It would still be useful info to know this dimension.

What about miscellaneous things like tie-downs? It's not clear to me that the bed has these, though it's hard to imagine it doesn't. In terms of payload, the Cybertruck has more than enough to handle not just lightweights but nearly any pickup truck camper. I think it will make an excellent travel vehicle, assuming the charging structure gets a bit more built out.

I'm sure there are others in the Cybertruck community who have similar plans and for their vehicles. I'd be very interested in any feedback and suggestions on this subject.
Sponsored

Last edited: