Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
I wasn’t going to get one of these, but hopefully the 500+ Cybertruck is still on the menu.

I’ll still get one if it’s around 400 miles, but would like the extra range.

https://electrek.co/2021/06/06/elon-musk-tesla-canceling-model-s-plaid-need-400-mile-range/
I have 310 miles long range M3. It is very inconvenient for long distant travel. For 250 miles trip, I have to charge 2 times. Often, I have to drive extra 15 miles to the charger. I will not buy any EV with less than 500mile range.
Sponsored

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
I hope this doesn't kill the 500 M+ CT. As others have mentioned, 500M+ whilst towing (really anything) becomes subs 300M very quickly. Concerning too for anyone planning a CT in cold environments. This was my primary reason for reserving at tri-motor.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yeah, that would create a huge crater in Tesla's business. They would be overtaken by other truck companies and eventually start to slide.
Well I wouldn't jump right to a conclusion that other companies would overtake them. Right now the real competition is Ford since they have the ability to produce a lot of lightnings and they already have a huge market share for ICE trucks. However once EV trucks are actually available for purchase, I don't think there is a way to keep up with the initial demand even between Tesla and Ford making as many as they can.

If the Cybertruck didn't have a tri motor option and the dual motor doesn't increase in range past 300 miles. it'll still match or exceed the specs of a lot of the compeition that's coming out. At that point it will come down to what company people like more, the technology in the truck, the style, and of course model specific features like how the lightning has an amazing frunk, the cybertruck has active suspension and the rivian has a tank turn.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I was just watching a video on youtube with someone who does a lot of Tesla related videos and he made a really good point for 4860 batteries.

The Model Y's that are soon to be coming out of the gigafactory as well as the Cybertruck are supposed to have 4680 cells. the Model Y is already a high production vehicle for Tesla and the Cybertruck has a ton of preorders to fulfill, yet the Model S Plaid and Model X Plaid which is more expensive and luxurious aren't supposed to get them.

It made sense that they weren't supposed to get the new battery cells back when they were supposed to be delivered earlier in the year before the battery cells were delivered. But now that we are much closer to when vehicles from the Austin factory are going to be produced, they might have the option to deliver all plaid models with the new battery cells. it would require a lot less battery modules to fulfill all plaid orders with 4680's than it would be for the Model Y and Cybertruck. I'm not saying they would take from the Model Y or Cybertruck, just that they might be able to supply enough for the far smaller number of orders for plaid vehicles.

This would definitely satisfy a lot of customers who will get a surprising increase on range for their new plaid models and it would be a good reason to cancel to plaid plus if it's not going to have such an increase of range over the plaid itself.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
I hope this doesn't kill the 500 M+ CT. As others have mentioned, 500M+ whilst towing (really anything) becomes subs 300M very quickly. Concerning too for anyone planning a CT in cold environments. This was my primary reason for reserving at tri-motor.
totally agree, I think the cybertruck due to it being so efficient will actually see greater (proportionally speaking) reduction in range when towing than a normal ICE truck due to it combating those efficiencies. As well 500mi in the truck market is really not saying much, (impressive for EV yes), but for me, all I keep thinking is : I really hope that (+) on the 500mi+ is a solid 70mi of (+).

I don't own a Tesla or Ev so maybe I'm wrong, but from my friends that own Teslas, their only major complaint is how rare getting over 85% of the stated range at freeway road trip speeds. So when I see 500mi, my mind immediately thinks maybe ~400mi with no load at freeway speeds with no elevation gain. With towing and elevation a huge drop from there.

I hope I'm wrong, I want the CT, but like you, the tri-motor 500mi+ was the only one I could justify and hoping that (+) was a solid (+).

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
400 turns into 250 in the winter or hilly terrain. I will cancel my order if they pull this with the CT3
I make 2 to 4 trips a year that are about 1100 miles (1750 km) each way. When supercharging, you don't want to discharge to 0% and you don't want to wait for full 100% charge either. I figure roughly 10% to 85% so you lose 25% of ideal range off the top. Then add AC/heat and highway speeds of 70 to 85 MPH (in Texas) and I'm expecting 350 miles +/- between superchargers. Like I posted elsewhere on this forum, what I really want is a CT2+ - a dual motor with 500+ mile range.

Likewise for the MS Plaid+. I'm disappointed they cancelled it. 400 miles of stated range is not enough for my road trips. I'm waiting to see what they do with my MSP+ order - refund my deposit or try to convince me the Plaid is "good enough". Also, instead of Plaid+, I'd prefer a Long Range+ with 500+ mile range and a more reasonable price. Range is more important than performance.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I make 2 to 4 trips a year that are about 1100 miles (1750 km) each way. When supercharging, you don't want to discharge to 0% and you don't want to wait for full 100% charge either. I figure roughly 10% to 85% so you lose 25% of ideal range off the top. Then add AC/heat and highway speeds of 70 to 85 MPH (in Texas) and I'm expecting 350 miles +/- between superchargers. Like I posted elsewhere on this forum, what I really want is a CT2+ - a dual motor with 500+ mile range.

Likewise for the MS Plaid+. I'm disappointed they cancelled it. 400 miles of stated range is not enough for my road trips. I'm waiting to see what they do with my MSP+ order - refund my deposit or try to convince me the Plaid is "good enough". Also, instead of Plaid+, I'd prefer a Long Range+ with 500+ mile range and a more reasonable price. Range is more important than performance.
I'd also like to see "long range" or "Large Pack" options on the dual motor like Rivian is doing.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't think they would cancel the tri motor Cybertruck. along with the dual motor, they are both leading in demand. The least demanded Cybertruck is the single motor but I don't even think they would cancel that anytime soon since it's the affordable option.

One of the really nice perks of the Cybetruck is that it is supposed to do so much and is supposed to do it all exceptionally well. More towing capacity than most trucks, higher bed capcity than the average truck, better acceleration than almost every car on the market. It's no wonder that Elon wants the Cybertruck as his daily driver.

The plaid plus was Canceled but that was mostly just increased range over the plaid itself. The Model S Plaid will still have a tri motor configuation just like the Cybertruck. It would be shocking if they have a tri motor sedan but not a tri motor truck.

If they got rid of the tri motor, that could really hurt a lot of the customers that are looking for a good work truck for a large area, especially up north. 500 miles of range is really nice but if you live somewhere with harsh winters and plan on towing a lot, that 500 miles is already going to be reduced to a significantly lower range. A 250-300 mile EPA range for towing would probably require charging far too often in winter. Even the tri motor wouldn't be perfect in winter but I think a lot of people would be okay with some extra charging over the winter months to have the truck they want.
Tesla won't cancel the trimotor, they just won't make very many or will start out with the dual motor until demand levels out a little on their batteries. They should go for the best margin given limited resources.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have 310 miles long range M3. It is very inconvenient for long distant travel. For 250 miles trip, I have to charge 2 times. Often, I have to drive extra 15 miles to the charger. I will not buy any EV with less than 500mile range.
And you think the current distribution of chargers will remain static, and you will consistently drive way above the speed limits?

Sometimes, slower is faster. It's always safer.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
WRT the CT I think the biggest thing we have to fear is that they will pull a Rivian on us, that is, produce the lower range variants first because of limited battery supply.
Speaking of Rivian, I think their break into the real world this month may have a bigger impact on CT and Lightening sales than people think. If TFL guys try to tow something at it's limit up the mountain in Colorado for their review and the results are ugly, folks that have put their ICE truck purchase on hold to get a CT or Lightening, may question viability of any EV truck for real world use and drop off the EV truck market all together. Once they buy their ICE, it may be another 10 years before they consider an EV.

Yeah, that would create a huge crater in Tesla's business. They would be overtaken by other truck companies and eventually start to slide.
That would require a more efficient design, more efficient manufacturing process and reduced cost for parts. Trajectory of where things have been going suggest their margins will be lower so they will have to have some serious volume to compete with Tesla.

If the Cybertruck didn't have a tri motor option and the dual motor doesn't increase in range past 300 miles. it'll still match or exceed the specs of a lot of the compeition that's coming out.
Sliverado is talking 400 mile range. Of course, if they are talking Hummer price, that number won't mean much.

I'm waiting to see what they do with my MSP+ order
It looks like you have both MSP+ and CT3 on order. I never understood how MSP+ can be $140K and CT3 $70K for the same advertised range. I don't think MSP+ paint job is worth $70K. Do you think MSP is going to drop in price when CT is born? CT price will rise? or they can coexist as they are?
What are your thoughts?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am just waiting for the CT "other shoe" to drop. It's happened so far with every model. Not everything announced at reveal happens.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am just waiting for the CT "other shoe" to drop. It's happened so far with every model. Not everything announced at reveal happens.

As nasty as shoe droppings are, I much rather for them to drop now vs later.

Last edited:

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
It looks like you have both MSP+ and CT3 on order. I never understood how MSP+ can be $140K and CT3 $70K for the same advertised range. I don't think MSP+ paint job is worth $70K. Do you think MSP is going to drop in price when CT is born? CT price will rise? or they can coexist as they are?
What are your thoughts?
Yeah, I don't need both. I put in an order for both in case one gets cancelled or if one was available much sooner than the other. If both become available at nearly the same time, I'll pick the CT3 (or better: my idea of a CT2+ variant!). Of course, at the moment, CT3 is the only Tesla option.

As I've stated, only the 500+ mile range matters to me, performance is second or third (4th?) priority. Paint is even lower priority. :)
Sponsored