Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Curious how many changes will happen to the CT? This is the 2nd time they have killed a model Y variant (but then brought one back)

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-modely-y-lr-rwd-canceled-fsd-price-honor/

Tesla enthusiasts who pre-ordered the Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel-Drive variant are being told to choose another configuration of the company’s all-electric crossover. Tesla is honoring its Full Self-Driving suite’s price from the date of the pre-order, however, giving a slight discount to owners who planned to equip their LR RWD Model Y with the company’s semi-autonomous driving suite.

The variant was the planned replacement for the Standard Range RWD Model Y after CEO Elon Musk stated that the configuration had less than 250 miles of range, a number that was “unacceptably low.” Musk announced the cancellation on July 12, 2020, but stated that Tesla would reduce pricing on the Model Y’s Dual Motor AWD variant and create the Long Range RWD configuration as a replacement.

However, the Model Y Standard Range trim then became available on January 7, 2021, with 244 miles of range for $41,990.

Now, Teslarati readers indicate that Tesla is reaching out to them to make them aware of the cancelation. Instead of canceling their orders altogether, Sales Advisors are encouraging owners to choose either the Standard Range RWD Model Y or the Long Range AWD configurations of the all-electric crossover. These two builds are the closest to the LR RWD variant of the Model Y.

“Below is the configuration/price breakdown of the currently available Long Range All-Wheel-Drive Model Y and Standard Range Rear Wheel-Drive Model Y,” one email stated to a Model Y Long Range RWD reservation holder said.

Teslarati reached out to a Tesla showroom for comment, where a Sales Advisor confirmed that the LR RWD Model Y would not be built at any point, and the company is contacting reservation holders to revise their reservations.

Additionally, Tesla is honoring the FSD suite’s price when the reservation holder ordered the car. The FSD suite currently sits at $10,000 but has undergone several price increases in the past year. If a prospective buyer placed a deposit on the Model Y LR RWD variant in March 2020, they would still be required to pay $7,000, instead of the current $10,000 price.

The reason for the cancelation is unknown, but it is not the first time Tesla has axed variants before release. Tesla announced several Model 3 variants that ultimately never made it to production lines. With the company’s constantly changing strategies, not every vehicle configuration that is announced will make it to customer driveways.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This article is so badly written, I have no idea which model was canceled when. Dear journalist: The one time you don't want to mix up how you refer to things is when you have four similarly named things!

So yes, they have removed all single-motor variants of the Model Y from pre-orders. They have not removed the battery configurations.

This is further evidence that FSD pre-orders will transfer at their original price, tho.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Here is a good way to see what is STILL available. 1 Single motor variant still exist. They just no longer plan on making a long range version. This falls in like with what they offer on the model 3 currently. Not a big deal if you ask me.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla cancels Model Y RWD Long Range 1612386500064

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
So did a model get canceled or not? x-x Looks like they un-canceled a model.

-Crissa
So when the model Y first launched you could reserve a long range RWD variant. They have decided to just never make it. So you wouldn't notice a difference unless you had reserved one at launch or sometime after.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla cancels Model Y RWD Long Range 1612386911969

I might add I fully believe this has to do with battery constraint. They can make more model Y's in the standard range RWD version for now. Because for a while there the standard range was NOT going to happen. Then all the sudden its available.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So when the model Y first launched you could reserve a long range RWD variant. They have decided to just never make it. So you wouldn't notice a difference unless you had reserved one at launch or sometime after.
1612386911969.png

I might add I fully believe this has to do with battery constraint. They can make more model Y's in the standard range RWD version for now. Because for a while there the standard range was NOT going to happen. Then all the sudden its available.
Yes, but my question is what will happen with the CT and those of us who preordered? Will one of our variants just disappear one day before we get the CT and have to change (and maybe pay more) for another variant

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Will one of our variants just disappear one day before we get the CT and have to change (and maybe pay more) for another variant
It depends on market conditions whether or not a model is canceled. The low-spec model isn't popular, no. But it's necessary once the market for the upper models has been fulfilled. See Model S sales after Model 3 was released, for instance.

And yes, Tesla will try to fill them (they kept the base Model 3 around a long time, it's still in a few markets that have regulatory advantage) or shift them to a model (they still have a single-motor Model Y variant), and they will try to upsell you.

My spouse has decided on taking that upsell. Which will only hurt the base model future... But as long as Tesla is production constrained, it makes no sense for them to not try to optimize those sales.

Battery supply is key here.

-Crissa

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Yes, but my question is what will happen with the CT and those of us who preordered? Will one of our variants just disappear one day before we get the CT and have to change (and maybe pay more) for another variant
Very possible. I will not be surprised if the single motor never materializes.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
There was a report that in Norway the ratio of single motor Model Y to Dual motor is 40/1, I don't know what the ratio is here in the states but I am sure its similar

When Robotaxi becomes a thing the single motor long range would make sense

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Im not sure, I sold my crystal ball a few months back. I couldnt get the dang thing to work.
Sponsored