TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
It’s a good point, and with rare exceptions they are unenforceable in CA. Most of those exceptions don’t apply here.

One exception that could apply, now that Tesla is HQ’d in TX: because this guy was senior, if he was represented by counsel in negotiating his employment agreement (or an amendment thereto), and in that agreement the parties selected TX law as governing and TX the forum for adjudication.

A possible, but maybe unlikely, scenario, if Tesla’s employment counsel aren’t savvy.

In any event, contrary to my prior post, it does make it more likely he indeed up-and-“quit” … even if that means he saw some writing on the wall.
Certain C—level executives may have special contracts like you mentioned however, I do not think this guy has a title for that. He’s probably 3 levels down from EM, at minimum
Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Country flag
Why this "news" needs to be here, as a thread???????

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’m frankly surprised he was not held to a non competition clause by Tesla. Maybe he was and it expired 🤷
Those aren't legal in California.

Besides, Tesla is a place that's known for working hard, making your name and buck, and moving one. That's the culture Elon has cultivated.

If he can help Rivian get into the same space Tesla is, well, all the better for them.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well, he definitely burned that bridge after crossing it. No coming back to Tesla if Rivian goes down, and then nobody'll touch him with ten foot pole.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Well, he definitely burned that bridge after crossing it. No coming back to Tesla if Rivian goes down, and then nobody'll touch him with ten foot pole.
That's not how it works at Tesla. If he was a valuable asset, he will be welcome back at any time. If he left rather than get fired, no coming back.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Maybe run your English through ChatGPT in the future? But bottom line is right; Rivian needs this expertise, desperately, and of course best wishes to his future growth wherever it may be. Let's all hope that the Cybertruck raw materials supply chain is secure.
The major concern here is who heads the BAW Materials Supply Chain.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
My thought is that something is going on here because being “the guy” that played a key role bringing the cybertruck to market is a lot more of an exclamation point on a resume than “almost being the guy”
Either there’s a falling knife here he didn’t wanna catch or rivian just broke the bank. Theres the two options.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
My thought is that something is going on here because being “the guy” that played a key role bringing the cybertruck to market is a lot more of an exclamation point on a resume than “almost being the guy”
Either there’s a falling knife here he didn’t wanna catch or rivian just broke the bank. Theres the two options.
i wouldn't read to much into it .. unless more news comes out.. happens a lot someone is hired to help fix something that is broken.. in this case the supply chain for the cybertruck... once that challange is over the job is boring.. and missing a challenge the exect moves on to a different company with issues so they can help fix those.

some people like to fix broken things.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
In the situations where employees move on to other companies, we wish them success in their career.

If we experience a high attrition rate, we address the contributing causes.

As to Rivian, imagine updating their production process to become cost efficient on par with Tesla. (Stretch that imagination) Are Rivian’s products desired enough to increase market share?

Tesla is not worried over competition catching up since they are motivated to move forward.

Fritztech

First Name
Fritz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
A few things this story doesn’t elaborate on, because it doesn’t know:

1. The actual history of Akkari “quitting” - departures of folks this senior are rarely one-sided surprise departures, and can often be framed as “quitting” when the company is the one seeking the separation (see 2. Below)

2. As senior as he was, I can’t imagine Akkari wasn’t subject to restrictions on his ability to join competitors; the way out of that is through agreement/waiver by Tesla - often times a term agreed up when the parties are looking to separate amicably (or cleanly)

In all, for folks this senior, leaving and joining a competitor is not like “quitting” a salaried employee individual contributor role. It’s possible he’s showing up at Rivian, and allowed to frame this as “quitting,” only because he was asked to leave and Tesla is smoothing his path on paper.

I don’t know this any more than the outfits sensationalizing the “quitting” narrative. But I do know the “quitting” narrative alone isn’t sufficient to explain the dynamics here.
Exactly, have you read the Tesla contract? Just like every other high-tech company, one is not "allowed " to go to the competition unless it is totally unrelated. Therefore...

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Maybe run your English through ChatGPT in the future? But bottom line is right; Rivian needs this expertise, desperately, and of course best wishes to his future growth wherever it may be. Let's all hope that the Cybertruck raw materials supply chain is secure.
I don't need ChatGPT to do my say. if you impaired, then you need more then I do.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I predict this will setback Cybertruck production ramp by 20% for the first year. And since this is completely unprovable, I will claim perfection in my ability to predict such things.
Sponsored