Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This video is more about the nitty gritty of the Gigapress. He suggests a 12k press is unlikely because it doesn’t make sense to use a gigapress to make the battery tray.

Possibly a 12k press could be used to cast the roof, front and back fenders, with dash area supports with Pillar A, B and C going down to the chassis. The chassis would likely be made from three parts the front end cast, the battery tray and the back end cast. Just looking at a toy car, the upper part is separate from the bottom part. Moving parts (e.g., doors, hood and etc.) are added after. They must be planning to use a 12k press if they are developing it. If this info/rumour is accurate of course.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Possibly a 12k press could be used to cast the roof, front and back fenders, with dash area supports with Pillar A, B and C going down to the chassis. The chassis would likely be made from three parts the front end cast, the battery tray and the back end cast. Just looking at a toy car, the upper part is separate from the bottom part. Moving parts (e.g., doors, hood and etc.) are added after. They must be planning to use a 12k press is they are developing it. If this info/rumour is accurate of course.
Jordan from The limiting factor suggested they might cast from aand rear at the same time on a 12i press. Casting two or more parts in one shot.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Wow. SO much advancement of tech, it gets better every month! And meanwhile, Big Three et al still peacefully snoozing at their helms, do not disturb signs and all. Wakey wakey, my dudes! Hmmm. Still not listening. Don't say you weren't warned...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think this would make sense. It wouldn't be as big of a deal to have a $25K car be totaled in a wreck. With a 1 piece body, it seems like it wouldn't take that big of a wreck to total a vehicle. Hopefully the batteries would still be good, and they could be recovered and maybe used for a powerwall?
Hopefully with Tesla insurance they could give you a choice of new car (ahead of any line) or cash. And Tesla would take the totaled vehicles and recycle them.
I think people over-index on being able to fix things.

Being able to extract the most value for the least economic/ environmental impact.

If the batteries are worth more than the rest of the car and it’s easy to extract then it’s not really totalled is it?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Wow. SO much advancement of tech, it gets better every month! And meanwhile, Big Three et al still peacefully snoozing at their helms, do not disturb signs and all. Wakey wakey, my dudes! Hmmm. Still not listening. Don't say you weren't warned...

I get the feeling ICE was stretching out as long as they could, whilst holding the belief that they would :

A. Give enough rope for Tesla to hang itself , and :

B: Tesla would bear the brunt of its mistakes, and having learned from that, ICE would waltz in and control the expansion of the EV market.

As it stands :

A. Tesla dins't hang itself

B. Tesla learned from its mistakes and prospered, and ICE is caught 10 steps back and are totally out of control.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I get the feeling ICE was stretching out as long as they could, whilst holding the belief that they would :

Yeah, big auto kind of shot themselves in the foot.

I suspect most of them are only just now starting to figure out how F*#ed they are.

In about 3 years the supply of lithium is going to be stretched super thin any anyone who doesn’t have supply locked in is going to be out in the cold right as demand for EVs is really hitting the vertical part of the hockey stick.

The CEO of Stellantis is still whining about this being a government driven change and holding his breath expecting some policy change to save them.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think people over-index on being able to fix things.

Being able to extract the most value for the least economic/ environmental impact.

If the batteries are worth more than the rest of the car and it’s easy to extract then it’s not really totalled is it?
What word would you prefer, Done? Just because an insurance company calls a vehicle totalled doesn't mean it's not worth anything. It just means that vehicle is not worth repairing, so they will write you a check. What they do with it after that is up to them. :D

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What word would you prefer, Done? Just because an insurance company calls a vehicle totalled doesn't mean it's not worth anything. It just means that vehicle is not worth repairing, so they will write you a check. What they do with it after that is up to them. :D
Well Tesla sells insurance now so it all kind of comes full circle doesn’t it?

Maybe they just unbolt the body and give you a new one.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well Tesla sells insurance now so it all kind of comes full circle doesn’t it?

Maybe they just unbolt the body and give you a new one.
At that point it wouldn't be totaled, they could say "we can fix it". There are times when you get in a wreck and don't want the insurance company to fix it.
My mother-in-law had an insurance company give her a choice between fixing and writing her a check for a wrecked PT Cruiser. She had always loved the car, so she had them fix it. About a year or so later, she saw a Mini she just had to have. And because the PT had been in an accident that caused frame damage, it wasn't worth much at all. She would have been way better off, totaling out the car and getting more money.

OP
OP
Richard V.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The question now is will the check be a fair representation of the valuable materials (batteries and etc.) that will be reused by the industry compared to a standard ICE vehicles?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The question now is will the check be a fair representation of the valuable materials (batteries and etc.) that will be reused by the industry compared to a standard ICE vehicles?
Don't they just write a check based on the resale value of the vehicle, not the sum of it's parts?

I can't imagine too many vehicles being worth more in parts than its resale value before it was wrecked.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My Zero is worth more in parts than put together but that's kinda true of lots of vehicles. It's why people buy cars to part out. It takes time and effort to separate everything.

And a crashed, unknown condition vehicle is filled with 'we don't know if the parts are okay' but the parts, once extracted, begin to lose that unknown-ness.

?‍♀

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard V.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't they just write a check based on the resale value of the vehicle, not the sum of it's parts?

I can't imagine too many vehicles being worth more in parts than its resale value before it was wrecked.
If it is a true resale value, then the market should be self adjusting. I am not sure how this would work. Insurance companies "adjust" numbers all the time. So in this way they have the better of it all the time over their clients. How would the resale value be monitored and evaluated?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My Zero is worth more in parts than put together but that's kinda true of lost of vehicles. It's why people buy cars to part out. It takes time and effort to separate everything.

And a crashed, unknown condition vehicle is filled with 'we don't know if the parts are okay' but the parts, once extracted, begin to lose that unknown-ness.

?‍♀

-Crissa
Yeah my sand cast 1970 Honda 750 (which hasn't run in almost 25 years) is worth more in parts than sold as is. I know what you mean, I wouldn't want to part it out.

Here's a photo of my dad with it, back in the 70's.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Develops 12,000-Ton Giga Press for Production of the One-Piece Car Body Honda750v
Sponsored

Last edited: