Tesla Insurance Texas

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
I have been using Tesla insurance on my M3 since April. I'm going to give up on it and switch to another company. I get dinged for things that are not my fault and just strange events, where there is no obvious clue why I'm getting dinged. I used to cost me $95 or so a month. But it just keeps going up and it is beyond my control to make it much better. Examples below.
  • Following to close. Supposedly only happens at speeds 50 and above.
    • The question is, what is to close? There is no indicator that tells you, you are to close. An Indicator would be very nice, so you could learn what the gap should be. Because I dont know, I try to leave a sufficient gap. But it leaves room for other cars to fill that gap. And then I get dinged for following to close to the car that just changed lanes. Or if they change lanes and then suddenly break. Collision warning ding.
  • Changing lanes can cause dings.
    • if you are on a curve in the road and you change lanes. And if your car points directly at another car, even though it is in a different lane(not the one you are changing into), you can get dinged for being to close or get a collision warning.
  • Turning corners in your neighborhood can cause dings. 15-20 mph
    • I turned right on a street and there was a parked car kind of close to the corner. My car briefly pointed at it as I was turning. Got a collision warning.
  • Traffic scenarios caused by others
    • So both the AI and the driver are paying attention to traffic. Someone ( another car) else does something that the driver(me) has to adjust to. (Slow down, break etc.). Both the Driver(me) and the AI both respond to the event. But I'm a fraction of a second slower responding than the AI. I will get dinged for something I'm already responding to.
    • Earlier this week. Following a car (45 posted). I have 3 car gap between us. The car in front of the car I'm following, slams on their brakes. The car in front of me slams on their brakes. Which forces me to slam on my breaks. I detected the event before the AI did. (I heard the squeel of tires.) I get dinged for both a collision warning and aggresive braking.
I just cant control what others are doing. I mostly use my M3 for communting back and forth to work. I dont drive it enough that the dings are mitigated by driving several more miles to spread the dings out.

I've called the people who answer the phones @ Tesla Insurance. They say there is nothing they can do. You have no way to argue the false positive dings that you get.

There currenly is a class action lawsuite over the Tesla Insurace issues. Frustrated that there is nothing you can do about the false positives.

K
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They raised my sons $30 a month for 3 months for same bs. He bailed out.