Tesla just wanted a weird truck, Elon Musk says

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
“We’re really, fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker, basically,” he said. “The goal is to kick the most amount of ass possible with this truck. We want it to be something you could use to tow a boat, a horse trailer, pull tree stumps out of the ground, go off-roading and you don’t have to worry about scratching the paint because there is no paint. You could just be smashing boulders and be fine.”

https://newsakmi.com/automotive-news/tesla-just-wanted-a-weird-truck-elon-musk-says/
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
“We’re really, fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker, basically,” he said. “The goal is to kick the most amount of ass possible with this truck. We want it to be something you could use to tow a boat, a horse trailer, pull tree stumps out of the ground, go off-roading and you don’t have to worry about scratching the paint because there is no paint. You could just be smashing boulders and be fine.”

https://newsakmi.com/automotive-news/tesla-just-wanted-a-weird-truck-elon-musk-says/
Seems like the article is from a long time ago if Elon is talking about 200K reservations. Tesla hit that in the first week.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I wonder if Elon (Tesla) would like to know what additional "ass" to kick with a CT. Beyond some playing in the mud capability I would like to see lower price, higher assembly quality and reliability as a design priority.
otherwise a SS exoskeleton with wheels?...
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla just wanted a weird truck, Elon Musk says 1596384127702

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I am curious if the Cybertruck will be using 8-lug wheels similar to a 3/4 ton domestic pickup...

But the Cybertruck is expected to be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it more on par with Ford’s Super Duty or Chevrolet’s Silverado HD. Musk told Automotive News the Cybertruck would not be sold globally.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I am curious if the Cybertruck will be using 8-lug wheels similar to a 3/4 ton domestic pickup...

But the Cybertruck is expected to be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it more on par with Ford’s Super Duty or Chevrolet’s Silverado HD. Musk told Automotive News the Cybertruck would not be sold globally.
Except in China?
?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Except in China?
?
Well, when a reporter takes the quote from an offhanded parphrase, 'some places don't allow trucks like this' and 'we're focusing on the North American market' (something Tesla/Elon has said about every car they made so far) to mean 'none for the rest of the world', that's where you end up.

-Crissa
Sponsored