intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Making it affordable was always one of the most appealing things about the Cybertruck.

This isn’t a 180, it’s a reaffirmation it is keeping true to it’s original goal.
One choice is to not built it at all, and just say it wasn't feasible to make it affordable. Hope that doesn't happen though.

I never thought a $40,000 model was ever going to happen, and I placed an early order for the TriMotor and was fine with $69,000 price...(even $79,000 with all that it was offering). A couple of months ago they announced they would build a Quad motor, and maybe not the TriMotor. Okay, I will take one at $89,000, if it is delivered in 2023.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Elon said the CT needs to be affordable and that they are still trying to figure out how to do that. I work on a lot of big costly projects and whenever an owner says that to me it means we aren’t going to build this thing anytime soon because it doesn’t pencil out and we either need to cut scope to greatly reduce cost or go back to the drawing board and redesign this. It’s not a good sign at all. Momentum behind the CT is gone IMO. Guess we will be buying Optimus and having a piggy back ride for our transportation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Really makes Rivian look like the adult in the room.
Rivian was how many years late from when it was introduced?

Was Tesla supposed to guess a global pandemic come through and with all our technology, kill up to one in a thousand people worldwide?

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
If you have an order above 20k, you aren't getting you Lightning before 2023. If you have an order above 100k, you aren't getting a Lightning before 2024. If you have the 180,000th order of a Lightning, Ford doesn't plan on delivering it under 2025 right now.

The E-Silverado isn't supposed to start that cycle until 2023-2024.

Tesla has more orders than all of them combined. Should they make them at the price promised or raise the price to out-bid other companies from getting the parts and supplies?

-Crissa
Rivian it is! I am at #9500, just waiting for the Max battery.
(I have a pretty low # for the Lightning...but the Rivian has greater range)

I really wanted the CyberTruck, but waiting until 2025 is goofy.

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I saw a Rivian in person, here in Atascadero California, it was at a car wash outside, and the headlights were on, and I looked online at info about how many they had produced so far at that time (this was about 2 weeks ago) and supposedly there had been just over 1000 sold so far, so I felt pretty lucky to see one out in the wild! I took a video of it, but honestly I'm not sure how to post video on this website.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
lookin like 2023 CT production

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Personally this is fantastic news, more production means more profit. CT will need alot of production rampup.
Fantastic/ ? I guess it’s good news as a shareholder.

I want my truck though. Glad I got the Model Y to tide me over. Now maybe I’ll end up getting a second one to keep us over until CT ships.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I don't disagree with you, but nothing required Elon to announce specs or pricing at a reveal event before Tesla had gotten sufficiently down the engineering phases to be able to communicate it with a high degree of certainty. Alternatively, he could have hedged the pricing or called it aspirational. The reveal clearly made it seem like a done deal and induced hundreds of thousands of people to invest money in a preorder. Even if that's not fraud, it's in extremely bad faith and does not show caring for your loyal customers. Really makes Rivian look like the adult in the room.
Rivian, the guys who released the fake tank turn video on the heels of the Cybertruck reveal? Adult weasels.

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Rivian was how many years late from when it was introduced?

Was Tesla supposed to guess a global pandemic come through and with all our technology, kill up to one in a thousand people worldwide?
Of course Rivian was also late (and hasn't even ramped), but they communicate frequently and clearly to their preorder holders. I'm a very early CT res holder and have gotten zero updates in well over 2 years. I was also able to preorder a specific set of specs from Tesla, tied to a specific price, which has been removed from the website with no explanation.

Elon said CT is delayed, in effect, because they can get more profit from producing more Model Ys this year. That's great for shareholders, not so much for customers. There was no mention or inference that the pandemic is why no one is getting a CT in 2021/22.
Sponsored