CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Anyone else in love with the idea of an electric RV based on the semi? With a 1MW battery pack, it should get over 700 miles. If the aerodynamics to the rear were improved, it could get as high as 1,000 miles. Expanding solar panels could yield 10kw which if you stored 8kw, you could recharge the battery for free in less than 20 days or so of good sunshine. I think the best format would be to remove a set of the rear wheels, and put those motors on the front wheels for AWD.

Autonomous driving would be amazing. How cool would it be to go to bed in one city, and wake up in another?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think Tesla would make an amazing RV if they put their mind to it, unfortunately it probably wouldn't be reality until late in the decade at the earliest, at least that's what I would assume. Tesla seems like they have more orders/preorders in 2020 than they've sold in cars in the past 8 years. I suspect that's part of the reason why they raised 5 billion dollars in capital, so they can build more factories.

It will be years until Tesla can deliver all the preorders, even with tons of people canceling their orders, it's way more than they have the ability to produce. With so many more Teslas going to be on the road, I can only see that increasing the demand for more cars since Tesla doesn't advertise like traditional manufacturers. Having more Teslas means their brand is noticed even more and once there are Cybertrucks everywhere, with tons of youtube videos about how great it is, they will probably have a much higher demand than supply again.

I would love to see a Tesla RV, even though I probably wouldn't buy one. If the Cybertruck does get a passthrough, I will be just fine with a small mattress in the bed. But I really want to see what they could make if they went with an RV. I suspect that a good number of people would probably buy an Tesla RV and live in it permanently.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Tesla Semi RV is going to happen, even if it is some custom shop doing all the RV work.

There are RVs over a million, so buying a Tesla Semi for $250k, then spending another $500k to modify it up to a full RV, then selling it for a million... Seems like profit could be made, especially if the RV shop already had all the tools and setup for making RVs...

And many RV builders are used to dealing with charge controllers, converting DC to AC and back, and such...

So, I assume as soon as the Semi is available for purchase to the public (ie, not a multi-unit deal), we will see Tesla Semi RVs.

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Tesla Semi RV is going to happen, even if it is some custom shop doing all the RV work.

There are RVs over a million, so buying a Tesla Semi for $250k, then spending another $500k to modify it up to a full RV, then selling it for a million... Seems like profit could be made, especially if the RV shop already had all the tools and setup for making RVs...

And many RV builders are used to dealing with charge controllers, converting DC to AC and back, and such...

So, I assume as soon as the Semi is available for purchase to the public (ie, not a multi-unit deal), we will see Tesla Semi RVs.
My limit would be about $300K. But it would have to have enough solar to at least maintain the battery level so AC or heat isn't running the battery down. But that wouldn't be hard. A well insulted RV could easily get away with a 500W air conditioner. Oh, and it needs a composting toilet. I hate black tanks.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Pick favorite RV add a PowerWall or 2, done

1MW is a crazy amount of power it would be way to heavy. 1MW is 1000KW as batterires are measured in kwH; 1 mwH would be enough to fill 10 P100 Model S from 0 to 100%. You'd NEVER need that much in an RV. LOL

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

1MW is a crazy amount of power it would be way to heavy. 1MW is 1000KW as batterires are measured in kwH; 1 mwH would be enough to fill 10 P100 Model S from 0 to 100%. You'd NEVER need that much in an RV. LOL
What??? You do need a MW if the RV is an electric vehicle. That is how you would get a range similar gas or diesel RVs.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
What??? You do need a MW if the RV is an electric vehicle. That is how you would get a range similar gas or diesel RVs.

" The P100D battery weighs 625 kg " 625kg = 1377.89 Lbs

1 MW = 1000 KW therefore you need 10 P100D batteries to make a 1 mwH battery, 1377.89 lbs x 10 would equal 13,779 lbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S#:~:text=The P100D battery weighs 625,kWh software-limited battery option.

Good luck with an RV that needs a 13,000 pound battery. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

If you are talking about an ENERGY storage, you don't need to say MWh. The h is implied.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I might point out the actual weight of the Semi's battery pack will probably be less than the weight of 10x the Model S's because of two things: Efficiency in packing a larger batter, and the Seni doesn't need the same cold circuit amperage per kwh as the Model S does. That lets you get away with just slightly less cooling systems and results in gained efficiency.

At any rate, remember you'll want to be able to go far from a charging point and then camp, consuming power while sitting still, then drive back. An RV consumes a huge amount of power to carry all that stuff, then you want it to go as far as that Model S, and then use more power on site. So yeah, they need big batteries.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

I remember many such words in the past regarding everything from cars to computers. My favorite was purchasing my first non-Apple computer with a 325 MB hard drive. My friends said, “Why did you get that big of a hard drive? You’ll NEVER fill that up!” It wasn’t that long ago. Honestly. Lol.

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Maybe you should just get off