Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
A fully decked out Class A RV weights around 30,000 lbs, so a Tesla Semi could tow one and be considered a lighter load.

That RV includes a diesel engine, fuel tank, cooling system, drive train, such.

How about building one from scratch/DIY?

Start with a refrigerated trailer (it has insulation and 'AC' already) and that weighs about 10,000 lbs. Add 20,000 to 30,000 lbs for furniture, internal walls, water tanks, solar panels, battery, etc. Still going to be a lighter load for the Tesla Semi.

Make it a 'toy hauler' version and have room for your bikes, motorcycles, atvs, golf carts, and/or car and still not going to be beyond what a Semi designed around the 80,000 max gross vehicle weight can handle.

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
A fully decked out Class A RV weights around 30,000 lbs, so a Tesla Semi could tow one and be considered a lighter load.

That RV includes a diesel engine, fuel tank, cooling system, drive train, such.

How about building one from scratch/DIY?

Start with a refrigerated trailer (it has insulation and 'AC' already) and that weighs about 10,000 lbs. Add 20,000 to 30,000 lbs for furniture, internal walls, water tanks, solar panels, battery, etc. Still going to be a lighter load for the Tesla Semi.

Make it a 'toy hauler' version and have room for your bikes, motorcycles, atvs, golf carts, and/or car and still not going to be beyond what a Semi designed around the 80,000 max gross vehicle weight can handle.
A refrigerated trailer most often has a diesel ran refrigerator. But I have looked into building a tinyhouse on wheels, and I could get that under 7,000 pounds including the trailer. Composite insulated panels are very light weight and have excellent insulation qualities.

I also looked into vips which would be heavier, but you can have 1 inch thick walls and have better insulation than 4 inch foam. Of course the issue is maintainability. You would want some way to access the inside of the wall should a panel develop a hole.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
If you are talking about an ENERGY storage, you don't need to say MWh. The h is implied.
Not all readers understand what's implied. Better to be more explicit than confusing. ;)

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
A fully decked out Class A RV weights around 30,000 lbs,...
Exactly my point a Class A RV weights 30,000 now with a ~1500lb engine trans. combo. If you delete that you still would have to account for an additional ~12,300 lbs of battery for the OPs 1MWH battery request, lol

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Exactly my point a Class A RV weights 30,000 now with a ~1500lb engine trans. combo. If you delete that you still would have to account for an additional ~12,300 lbs of battery for the OPs 1MWH battery request, lol
Dude, are you completely unfamiliar with the Tesla Semi????? They are using a battery in the 1MWh range already. It already exists.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Dude, are you completely unfamiliar with the Tesla Semi????? They are using a battery in the 1MWh range already. It already exists.
So your plan is to use Semi as an RV? :eek:

OP
OP
CappyJax

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
i was just thinking. If the cyber truck gets half the range when towing, and we expect a 250kWh battery, then that means about 1kWh/mile. If Tesla made a 14000 travel trailer., they could put in the trailer a 500kWh battery to supplement the CT. That would yield around 750 miles while towing. That would still leave over 7,000 for the rest of the TT.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
i was just thinking. If the cyber truck gets half the range when towing, and we expect a 250kWh battery, then that means about 1kWh/mile. If Tesla made a 14000 travel trailer., they could put in the trailer a 500kWh battery to supplement the CT. That would yield around 750 miles while towing. That would still leave over 7,000 for the rest of the TT.
From the slides from Battery Day, it looks like the CyberTruck will get the high nickel chemistry, which means the greatest energy density for the mass. Also, with the extended range and savings in weight, I expect the CyberTruck to have a 75 to 150 kWh battery pack.

But, I could be wrong, maybe it will go up to 200 kWh... but with the new cell & battery packs, I do not think that is needed anymore.
Sponsored