Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It would be interesting if they lined the interior of their service vehicles with the test steel, see how beat up it gets.
No Doubt, it would make sense to test the bed of the Cybertruck, in the floors of the service vans. Also, the service guys would be getting the benefit of a stainless floor.
Sponsored

freilichr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Chevy Impala, Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
...then there is the wrap approach to protecting your stainless...

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
...then there is the wrap approach to protecting your stainless...
Well, not in the sense of protecting the nose and behind the wheels from stones.

I have about three commercial vehicles a year wrapped with 3M Controltac vinyl. It will keep most covered surfaces looking like new (looks like new when its removed). But , heavy stones chips will cut the vinyl and "pit" the metal, albeit probably to a lesser extent if the surface had not been wrapped.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I plan to use a thick, clear sheet of paint protection film on the nose and hood of my CT. The bus industry uses this on the $1m-2m coaches. It's super thick, lasts years without discoloring.
Here's what that film ("Clear Bra") looks like after 20 years. the problem is that it ruins the paint underneath so you can't just remove it and re-apply.

But hopefully that won't be an issue with the CT metal.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Using Mobile Service Fleet to Test Cybertruck Steel Before Launch 57618281_2126781470750742_4538550400483065856_o
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Using Mobile Service Fleet to Test Cybertruck Steel Before Launch 58373271_2126781494084073_3188339345501192192_o

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Yep, I have 2001 Porsche that had the same stuff on it. Junk. It yellowed and cracked, then it was easier to repaint the car than try to remove the stuff without damaging the paint.

I would hope the newer materials are more UV resistant. In any case, it should be easy to remove and reapply a clear film on the nose of the CT every few years. I'm sure someone will offer die cut kits as soon as the CT is available.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe put the harder stuff that's less uv safe on the outside of the more uv safe stuff and just replace it more often.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The current PPF is different from the older film. The adhesive will not turn yellow over time.
How do you know if it’s new??? ?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I did a ton of research on all of the PPF currently on the market and had the Expel brand applied to my my 2019 truck. It's fully guaranteed for a decade when applied by a certified installer.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
In retrospect I am surprised that Tesla did not do this a long time ago. Guess it was due to not knowing the exact composition they were going to use for Starship.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having a staff metallurgist probably opened their eyes to what is possible would be my guess...

Silentjustice

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Well no, this is just a small piece that used for testing. I don't think they are going to put some test metal on a car and then shoot it or crash something into it. These pieces are probably going to be testing just normal wear that you might see on the truck. Such as how resistant they are to rust from salt in the air, salt water, regular water, road salt (winter), scratches from gravel roads.

Those are the kinds of things that someone who doesn't get in an accident or go off roading will be most likely to be worried about.

When it comes to testing the actually 3mm thick body of our Cybertrucks, i'm excited to see the actual crash tests and rollover tests of the vehicle. I'm also excited to see what sort of youtube videos people will do with their 'indestrucible truck'.
Can you imagine the YouTube videos.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
How about when the CT gets into an accident. Would they replace an entire panel, or would one have to paint the entire vehicle or wrap it.

Can you imagine if someone takes the time to grind in a swirl Finish like you sometimes see in public bathrooms and kitchens. But I guess you could get a wrap with it already precisely laid out.

Rick.