Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Teslabots on Vacation? CT_Pic3.JPG

My Primary objectives for a CT Camper:
  • Does not require towing
  • Fits entirely inside the vault when travelling for ‘stealth’
  • Breathable canvas camping experience
  • Affordable cost for what it is
  • Quality materials despite low cost - e.g. Tencate CampShield canvas, Stainless Steel poles...
  • Robust and simple, like CT itself
  • Design style compatible with CT, especially triangles
  • Quick and easy to deploy - and re-pack
  • Easy to remove in its entirety and store when not required
  • Protection from elements/ shelter, some storage, 2 person sleeping
  • Some optional accessories - e.g. Awning, Induction cooker, Mattress, Weather cover...
Also, I prefer to strive towards the following adage: “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add but, when there is nothing left to take away”. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.) Harder to achieve than you might think.

My observation of the existing CT camper options are that each one has features or foibles that would prevent me from wanting them for some reason or other. Whether it be cost, complexity, aero-drag, size, ventilation, even spoiling the CT aesthetic (I really do like how CT looks) and more. I want to picture myself and companion touring a country in a CT, not a Winnebago - although I do like the PolyDrop trailer! This has led me to spend quite a significant amount of time and effort to develop my own ideal of a CT camper over the last few months as I believe that there is room for multiple CT based camping solutions.

My vision for a CT camper tries to follow the objectives that I set myself above and, as its starting point, uses the concept of a fold-out hard-standing floor that lies on the ground once deployed with the tent concertina-ing out from the vault behind it and then extending the internal poles to make the resulting structure taut. (The attached image should give you an idea.) I also have an idea for a secondary usage mode which I will flesh-out if there is enough interest?

Packing-up is simply this process in reverse - shorten the poles, lift the floor onto the tailgate, neatly fold in the tent fabric and finally fold the floor over the top. Fitting into the Vault so that the tonneau cover can be closed over the top and the tailgate raised & locked. A set of storage/ steps, a table-top w/ induction hob unit and a double mattress (not shown) would be the ‘standard’ camper package which I think can be made for a reasonable price. If you already enjoy camping, you probably already have much of the other stuff you might want.

Areas that require more attention include, but are not limited to: sleeping 4, carrying water/ food/ clothing, toilet, fridge, washing, bringing toys such as surf boards, etc.. (A solution for a pair of bicycles is under development!) The removal of the rear bench seat, if it is possible, may address some of these but adversely impacts others and a midgate/ pass-through would also change priorities but these are both unknown for the time being. Also, the storage area under the vault bed really suits a combination fresh/grey water bladder where, as the fresh side empties, the other fills - once the volumes/ dimensions can be identified - and is another focus of my attention.

However, my wife and I toured around New Zealand for 3+ months in an impossibly small, late ‘80’s Bedford Rascal van we nicknamed ‘Flims’ and had a whale-of-a-time. The CT is a vastly better starting point and not being loaded down bringing everything should enable more, not less. Sadly, my idea of ‘everything including the kitchen sink’... is to bring a plastic bowl, so I might need your help here!

For a Crowd-Sourced camper design, I think this addresses most basic needs and leaves plenty of scope for personal customization. At this point, the design is sufficiently fluid for others to suggest improvements and changes. Ideally such that enough people are then sufficiently interested to help me fund the creation of a couple of prototypes and help me make this a real product. The prototypes could then be raffled off as a thank you!

If you are interested, drop me an email to [email protected] - if CTOC allows - and if enough people come forward, I will set up a payment process to fund the prototypes.

I’m not so proud that I think that this is perfect, however, I would be grateful if your criticism could remain courteous please.

Kind regards, Go99s.

(Models of Cybertruck and Manekins courtesy of GrabCAD.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
CT_Pic3.JPG

My Primary objectives for a CT Camper:
  • Does not require towing
  • Fits entirely inside the vault when travelling for ‘stealth’
  • Breathable canvas camping experience
  • Affordable cost for what it is
  • Quality materials despite low cost - e.g. Tencate CampShield canvas, Stainless Steel poles...
  • Robust and simple, like CT itself
  • Design style compatible with CT, especially triangles
  • Quick and easy to deploy - and re-pack
  • Easy to remove in its entirety and store when not required
  • Protection from elements/ shelter, some storage, 2 person sleeping
  • Some optional accessories - e.g. Awning, Induction cooker, Mattress, Weather cover...
Also, I prefer to strive towards the following adage: “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add but, when there is nothing left to take away”. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.) Harder to achieve than you might think.

My observation of the existing CT camper options are that each one has features or foibles that would prevent me from wanting them for some reason or other. Whether it be cost, complexity, aero-drag, size, ventilation, even spoiling the CT aesthetic (I really do like how CT looks) and more. I want to picture myself and companion touring a country in a CT, not a Winnebago - although I do like the PolyDrop trailer! This has led me to spend quite a significant amount of time and effort to develop my own ideal of a CT camper over the last few months as I believe that there is room for multiple CT based camping solutions.

My vision for a CT camper tries to follow the objectives that I set myself above and, as its starting point, uses the concept of a fold-out hard-standing floor that lies on the ground once deployed with the tent concertina-ing out from the vault behind it and then extending the internal poles to make the resulting structure taut. (The attached image should give you an idea.) I also have an idea for a secondary usage mode which I will flesh-out if there is enough interest?

Packing-up is simply this process in reverse - shorten the poles, lift the floor onto the tailgate, neatly fold in the tent fabric and finally fold the floor over the top. Fitting into the Vault so that the tonneau cover can be closed over the top and the tailgate raised & locked. A set of storage/ steps, a table-top w/ induction hob unit and a double mattress (not shown) would be the ‘standard’ camper package which I think can be made for a reasonable price. If you already enjoy camping, you probably already have much of the other stuff you might want.

Areas that require more attention include, but are not limited to: sleeping 4, carrying water/ food/ clothing, toilet, fridge, washing, bringing toys such as surf boards, etc.. (A solution for a pair of bicycles is under development!) The removal of the rear bench seat, if it is possible, may address some of these but adversely impacts others and a midgate/ pass-through would also change priorities but these are both unknown for the time being. Also, the storage area under the vault bed really suits a combination fresh/grey water bladder where, as the fresh side empties, the other fills - once the volumes/ dimensions can be identified - and is another focus of my attention.

However, my wife and I toured around New Zealand for 3+ months in an impossibly small, late ‘80’s Bedford Rascal van we nicknamed ‘Flims’ and had a whale-of-a-time. The CT is a vastly better starting point and not being loaded down bringing everything should enable more, not less. Sadly, my idea of ‘everything including the kitchen sink’... is to bring a plastic bowl, so I might need your help here!

For a Crowd-Sourced camper design, I think this addresses most basic needs and leaves plenty of scope for personal customization. At this point, the design is sufficiently fluid for others to suggest improvements and changes. Ideally such that enough people are then sufficiently interested to help me fund the creation of a couple of prototypes and help me make this a real product. The prototypes could then be raffled off as a thank you!

If you are interested, drop me an email to [email protected] - if CTOC allows - and if enough people come forward, I will set up a payment process to fund the prototypes.

I’m not so proud that I think that this is perfect, however, I would be grateful if your criticism could remain courteous please.

Kind regards, Go99s.

(Models of Cybertruck and Manekins courtesy of GrabCAD.)
Nice rendering. This would make for a lot of space.

Everyone's objectives are a little different. Personally I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve the ground. You would need a level spot devoid of mud and snow and it would require a full stow effort to move your rig.

Best of luck to you, post your progress.

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Nice rendering. This would make for a lot of space.

Everyone's objectives are a little different. Personally I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve the ground. You would need a level spot devoid of mud and snow and it would require a full stow effort to move your rig.

Best of luck to you, post your progress.
Hi Tinker71,
The hard-standing floor that rests on the ground has a frame to lift it up ~3 inches, maybe using aluminium 'L section', and I had also thought of using some wedges for leveling. I am assuming that CT would have self-leveling!

I appreciate your comment about needing a 'full stow' so need to make that really easy to do,
Kind regards, Go99s.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
You have a MVP(Minimum Viable Product) now. Focus on A,B.C,D. Ignore everything outside redlined MVP.

Origami experts will fold C1/C2, D1/D2 and B1/B2 end panels fitting within boundaries defined by A hardlid cover.

Mechanical engineers will execute the scissor lift/gas strut mechanism to lift off the exoskeleton.

Wind loading .vs. projected area will determine height off the deck of sail pillars.

Nice concept!

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You have a MVP(Minimum Viable Product) now. Focus on A,B.C,D. Ignore everything outside redlined MVP.

Origami experts will fold C1/C2, D1/D2 and B1/B2 end panels fitting within boundaries defined by A hardlid cover.

Mechanical engineers will execute the scissor lift/gas strut mechanism to lift off the exoskeleton.

Wind loading .vs. projected area will determine height off the deck of sail pillars.

Nice concept!
Hi Rex,
I think that we may each be seeing a different product? I am aiming for a really simple canvas tent mounted on to a sled base that is loaded into the vault bed and stays in there, especially whilst in transit. In its packed for travel state, imagine a collapsed tent and poles sandwiched between two flat platforms, the sled base at the bottom and the hard-standing floor as the top of this sandwich.

To erect the tent once you have arrived, fully open the vault tonneau cover, lower the tailgate and then the hard-standing floor is unfolded first onto the tailgate and then lifted/ pulled down to the ground and in the process unfolds the canvas tent. You now have a very saggy tent until you extend the tent poles which then almost double in length from the folded state and make the canvas tent structure taut.

The front section (denoted as panel B on your highlight sketch) is pulled taut over the apex of the truck and (although not shown) held in place by a webbing strap that is attached to the tent corner at each side of the apex and extends down the 'A' pillars and around the nose of CT. (Using a medium duty webbing ratcheting block to tighten.)

With regard to 'origami', I am wanting to use prototypes and removable bungee cord(s) to assist in developing the controlled collapse and folding of the tent which should not be prohibitively difficult but is pointless if there is not enough interest to justify at this stage.

I am a Mechanical Engineer and really want to avoid the need for scissor lifts or gas struts, for lifting in or out of the CT vault. Lifting eyelets on the sled base and some pulleys appropriately attached to your garage ceiling was what I had in mind if it becomes too heavy for two people to slide it out and lift it out and off the back of the tailgate.

Lifting the hard-standing floor onto the tailgate should be a one-person affair but if needed, a small electric winch could make this an assisted lift.

I'm not sure what weather conditions you camp in but I'm a fair-weather camper and other than suggesting that you park up facing CT into any strong wind conditions, wind loading is not anticipated to be an issue - Ø1¼" stainless tubes and heavy duty quality canvas should suffice.

I am attaching a cutaway section view to illustrate where the poles rotate about a mounting block attached to the sled base (note that some of the CT parts are shown semi-transparent and I have no idea why the model has what looks like a wooden wheel arch, - it is not my model, apologies) and to show the interior somewhat more clearly.

Many thanks for your comments and observations, my bad for not making things clear,

Kind regards, Go99s.

Tesla Cybertruck Teslabots on Vacation? CT_Pic4.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This is very similar to what you have in mind.

https://en.heimplanet.com/blogs/collabs/wolf-™-cloudbreak

1640551544761.png

Questionable whether it will ever exist. Tent company is legit. Truck company is highly questionable.
Hi Ogre,
From reading most of your camping related posts, I feel that we are both in a similar point of view regarding keeping a CT Camper simple. I really like the look of your referenced tent and did contemplate making my tent using 'fire-hose' structural elements. In critically examining this approach, it's great for a quick and easy erection of the tent but I'll bet that it would be a b%993r to pack down and fold up... and then have to lift it into the truck bed!

I once nearly purchased this product - Raclett Allegra trailer tent:
Tesla Cybertruck Teslabots on Vacation? allegra1

My own concept borrows heavily from this as the idea of a hard-standing floor is really good for camping. When packed up, the tent folds fully into the trailer and the floor on the RHSide becomes a water and rain proof cover over the top of the Allegra trailer. There is also a tubular frame beneath the hard-standing floor that lifts it off the ground slightly and also stiffens the entire floor unit.

Lastly, I anticipate a similar style of awning to this, as an accessory, but with just one sturdy support pole and bracing strut plus guy rope(s).

Kind regards, Go99s.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hi Ogre,
From reading most of your camping related posts, I feel that we are both in a similar point of view regarding keeping a CT Camper simple. I really like the look of your referenced tent and did contemplate making my tent using 'fire-hose' structural elements. In critically examining this approach, it's great for a quick and easy erection of the tent but I'll bet that it would be a b%993r to pack down and fold up... and then have to lift it into the truck bed!

I once nearly purchased this product - Raclett Allegra trailer tent:
allegra1g.jpg

My own concept borrows heavily from this as the idea of a hard-standing floor is really good for camping. When packed up, the tent folds fully into the trailer and the floor on the RHSide becomes a water and rain proof cover over the top of the Allegra trailer. There is also a tubular frame beneath the hard-standing floor that lifts it off the ground slightly and also stiffens the entire floor unit.

Lastly, I anticipate a similar style of awning to this, as an accessory, but with just one sturdy support pole and bracing strut plus guy rope(s).

Kind regards, Go99s.
I'm not sold on the inflatable either, it just happened to be similar in a lot of ways to what you'd illustrated.

When I'm camping, I frequently need the vehicle so whatever I end up doing it either needs to be quickly/ instantly convertible or separate from the truck. I'm kind of done with camping on the ground so it's either going to be a trailer or sleeping in the truck for me.

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm not sold on the inflatable either, it just happened to be similar in a lot of ways to what you'd illustrated.

When I'm camping, I frequently need the vehicle so whatever I end up doing it either needs to be quickly/ instantly convertible or separate from the truck. I'm kind of done with camping on the ground so it's either going to be a trailer or sleeping in the truck for me.
Hi Ogre,
It sounds like you would lean toward a PolyDrops trailer or similar which is a product that I also really like but the $15K basic and $27K Electric versions are quite steep! I have tried to keep off the ground slightly by having half the tent in the CT and the other half on its hard-standing but there is no getting around not being able to drive off without packing up with my concept. For me, I want a couple of E-bicycles to go off somewhere nearby and am thus working on a solution for this.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated,

Kind regards, Go99s.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hi Ogre,
It sounds like you would lean toward a PolyDrops trailer or similar which is a product that I also really like but the $15K basic and $27K Electric versions are quite steep! I have tried to keep off the ground slightly by having half the tent in the CT and the other half on its hard-standing but there is no getting around not being able to drive off without packing up with my concept. For me, I want a couple of E-bicycles to go off somewhere nearby and am thus working on a solution for this.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated,

Kind regards, Go99s.
Yeah I like the Polydrop... but price is wowsa. I can spend a lot of nights in the Cybertruck for $15k. They have one model which is $45k.

Crazy.

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah I like the Polydrop... but price is wowsa. I can spend a lot of nights in the Cybertruck for $15k. They have one model which is $45k.

Crazy.
Hi Ogre,
I did mention a secondary usage mode that I am looking to offer which uses the hard-standing in an upright position on the outer edge of the tailgate with the third pole-set only extended out enough to reach the middle of the rear window panel. The surplus canvas would be folded back inside the tent (or zipped off) and have a small-ish door in the hard-standing to get in and out. The stand-off structure used to keep the hard-standing raised off the floor could now incorporate a fold out ladder to enable getting up onto the tailgate when in this secondary usage mode.

Who knows, the now rigid rear panel might be just bear proof enough for Gus???

Kind regards, Go99s

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Caption competition:
Tesla Cybertruck Teslabots on Vacation? Reckon_they're_friendly.JPG

My entry:
"Do you reckon they're friendly?"

My daughters entry:
Bot1, "What breed of dog are they?"
Bot2, "I don't know, but I think the one on the right is a Giraffe!"

New location, new camper design. I seemed to get the impression that keeping off the ground is desirable from feedback that I received so I have had my design revised. Still low cost canvas and tentpole construction, still packs into the vault completely for stealth when travelling!

Also, with hindsight, I think that I should perhaps have posted these designs in the 'Crowd-sourced Camper' thread although it seems to have become dormant. Does anyone think that there is any merit in starting a 'Crowd-sourced Camper V2.0' thread?
Kind regards, Go99s

Last edited:

CyberGus

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.timeanddate.com
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation