Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag

What do you think? Is Tesla's AI so well developed that he swipe-clapped his palms a few times and said "Welp! My job is done! Y'all got it from here, right?"
Sponsored

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Itā€™ll be interesting to see where he may be heading. I donā€™t know his age but was he just ready for retirement? Or will we see he may have jumped ship for more money at a legacy automaker? Time will tell more of the story Iā€™m sure.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
A "retirement" for him isn't like retirement for us, or me. He's considered the top on his field and is known by name. He's choosing not to work for anyone and will probably write a book. He'll do a few paid appearances at conferences and think about what problem in his field he wants to apply himself to. Then he'll find a company that wants him to work on that particular problem for a boat load of money.

I just wonder if leaving Tesla, considering their AI aspirations, means something. And if it does, what is it? Is it good news, bad news, was he just tired of the grind... ???

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
All good for both, Tesla FSD have matured, and Andrej Karpathy have succeeded FSD mission. Dojo and the talented Tesla team can take it from here. The foundation is at Tesla (recipe and kitchen if that's what you call it). Grasshopper will become the teacher:), cycle of life. I think, in the future for Tesla will rely on the Dojo computer handle heavy lifting. Thank you and Best of luck to AK, either he will kick back and relax or explore to a new adventure.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
While Karpathy was on holidays, Elon praised the quality of the AI team. Even called it maybe the best in the world.

That's when I knew Karpathy was gone. A typical Elon move is to lay the seed for something about to happen in a conversational way.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

What do you think? Is Tesla's AI so well developed that he swipe-clapped his palms a few times and said "Welp! My job is done! Y'all got it from here, right?"
He is a research scientist with a manager's cap. Some people get tired of that and want to return. I did. The AI team will be fine.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
He is a research scientist with a manager's cap. Some people get tired of that and want to return. I did. The AI team will be fine.
ā€œSuccess is 10% inspiration 90% perspirationā€

Andrew leaves recognizing his further contribution would be minuscule knowing success for the team lies ahead.

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
I doubt anyone leaves a team within 12 months before the product goes to market.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
ā€œSuccess is 10% inspiration 90% perspirationā€

Andrew leaves recognizing his further contribution would be minuscule knowing success for the team lies ahead.
Maybe he is leaving 2 weeks before the product goes live.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶uĢ¶sĢ¶ cĢ¶,Ģ¶ yĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶ pĢ¶iĢ¶cĢ¶kĢ¶uĢ¶p, ā¼•äø«ā»?å°ŗć‚»å°ŗć„©ā¼•é•æ
Country flag
I think of this as a good thing, I dont believe that people like him just leave partway through.
which means his job is done in his mind, so the AI aspect is perhaps essentially complete .

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I think of this as a good thing, I dont believe that people like him just leave partway through.
which means his job is done in his mind, so the AI aspect is perhaps essentially complete .
Man, it would be super cool if it were true. Unfortunately, we are in the dark left to ponder šŸ¤”
always soooo perplexing.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
What if......
He's leaving to start an educational structure to facilitate the future of AI development and advancement.

One of the gripes I've seen from Elon Musk is the lack of topical education for the coming (rapid) shift in technology. AK would be a prime part of the beginning of overhauling education to suit the future needs.

Most of the reveal events have been recruitment events.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
What if......
He's leaving to start an educational structure to facilitate the future of AI development and advancement.

One of the gripes I've seen from Elon Musk is the lack of topical education for the coming (rapid) shift in technology. AK would be a prime part of the beginning of overhauling education to suit the future needs.

Most of the reveal events have been recruitment events.
If true, that would be great news.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I doubt anyone leaves a team within 12 months before the product goes to market.
Thatā€™d be true, were it not that Karpathy crossed-over from higher ed. research to industry.

Given all the money, resources and support to crack AGI was always the big hairy goal for Andrew. University couldnā€™t make such an offer. Tesla provided an opportunity to define the pathway, spec the architecture, launch the testbed and train the supercomputer(DOJO). Which DOJO (IIRC) was also specā€™d on his academics. It was end-to-end Karpathy and he recognized that an associative relationship with his Lab wasnā€™t getting ā€˜r done.

He completed what inspired his sabbatical to Tesla in the first place. Andrew never intended to nameplate Tesla AI with his work product. Karpathy executed a knowledge-transfer to Tesla. Tesla got a decade worth of runway in the exchange.

DOJO hasnā€™t even begun to train FSD yet which leaves runway to anyone following Karpathy to leverage their work.
Sponsored