Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
It matters to me, on a trip away from home. I don't like being forced to stop every 200 miles.
You just aren't an EV driver yet. You are still stuck in the old concepts of an ICE.

And if you are stopping every 200 miles, you are taking way longer to travel than I do. I stop sooner and get there a lot faster.
Sponsored

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You just aren't an EV driver yet. You are still stuck in the old concepts of an ICE.

And if you are stopping every 200 miles, you are taking way longer to travel than I do. I stop sooner and get there a lot faster.
I have been driving a BEV since 2021. I understand what you are talking about. I just don't agree.

I don't want to stop more frequently, and I don't want to stop only where there is a DCFC station. But I have no choice if I want to make it to my destination. I have stopped at many Walmart parking lots whether I wanted to stop there or not. And I really didn't. I would have rather stopped at 100 other places than a Walmart parking lot.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Today I made multiple trips with the bed open. I don’t know or care about range for daily driving, there is plenty. I will do my best to keep the bed closed on long hauls. That’s not always possible with gear.

IMG_5142.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg
Badass. You're my hero, Almost.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have been driving a BEV since 2021. I understand what you are talking about. I just don't agree.

I don't want to stop more frequently, and I don't want to stop only where there is a DCFC station. But I have no choice if I want to make it to my destination. I have stopped at many Walmart parking lots whether I wanted to stop there or not. And I really didn't. I would have rather stopped at 100 other places than a Walmart parking lot.
Sorry, missed the Mach-E in your signature.

But you aren't a Tesla driver. You don't seem to realize where the Superchargers are, Walmart is not one of the places that you will find Superchargers.
Tesla puts its Superchargers nearer those other 100 places that you want to stop at. Food and restrooms are prime criteria for Supercharger locations.

But if you'd rather a long trip take longer, that's fine with me. I'm trying to be helpful and show you how you can make long trips shorter.

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Sorry, missed the Mach-E in your signature.

But you aren't a Tesla driver. You don't seem to realize where the Superchargers are, Walmart is not one of the places that you will find Superchargers.
Tesla puts its Superchargers nearer those other 100 places that you want to stop at. Food and restrooms are prime criteria for Supercharger locations.

But if you'd rather a long trip take longer, that's fine with me. I'm trying to be helpful and show you how you can make long trips shorter.
I agree - the pain will go down once I get my adapter. But still - I don't want to be forced to stop, and even the SC locations might not be where I actually want to stop. Sure, I can do it. Sure, I can use strategies like yours to improve trip speed.

But it is still light years away from being as convenient as a ICEV that can go 500 miles between fill-ups. Because that is 500 highway miles, and you really can fill your vehicle up to 100% and drive it down to 0%. You don't need to keep the gas tank between 10% and 80% (or even less, which I think is your approach). And refueling locations are everywhere, and you don't have to time your meals or pee breaks around refueling.

I am still on the BEV train, but it is not for most people. Not yet. A 500-mile CT could have been a real game changer. Oh, well.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I agree - the pain will go down once I get my adapter. But still - I don't want to be forced to stop, and even the SC locations might not be where I actually want to stop. Sure, I can do it. Sure, I can use strategies like yours to improve trip speed.

But it is still light years away from being as convenient as a ICEV that can go 500 miles between fill-ups. Because that is 500 highway miles, and you really can fill your vehicle up to 100% and drive it down to 0%. You don't need to keep the gas tank between 10% and 80% (or even less, which I think is your approach). And refueling locations are everywhere, and you don't have to time your meals or pee breaks around refueling.

I am still on the BEV train, but it is not for most people. Not yet. A 500-mile CT could have been a real game changer. Oh, well.
The prototype estimations are in the past. They don't exist, so just let them go. There have been plenty of other promises by manufacturers over time. Look at the auto shows. How many prototypes have seen the light of day? But I don't hear you complaining about that.

I've made a 500 mile trip that was within 5-10 minutes of what I did in an ICE many times.

Driving 500 miles straight, even 300 miles straight through is unhealthy.

But from all indications, it doesn't appear that you are inline to buy a Cybertruck or even a Tesla.

You made your bed, enjoy it. You got the Mach-E, enjoy it. You don't have to rain on other parades.
Sponsored