The Beta CT dimensions are now perfection

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The Tesla designers slowly chipped away at the Cybertrucks concept design over the years. A nip here, a tuck there, a small percentage change to the overall dimensions, etc. The average Joe probably couldn’t detect the extremely small changes but forum members probably can. The original concept truck was just a tad out of proportion to my eyes.

The end result is styling perfection. The Tesla design team nailed the design and it will go down in automotive history.

Concept at the Peterson Museum
Tesla Cybertruck The Beta CT dimensions are now perfection 1E4ECD80-0BC0-4D1B-A7C6-0BB13E228EB0

Beta
Tesla Cybertruck The Beta CT dimensions are now perfection 7B00A988-4841-4965-9804-D76645F27B5A
Sponsored

Last edited:

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I'm just holding out for the CT to remain a full sized truck (can fit six people and can stack sheet plywood flat in the bed) and not a midsized truck ( anything that can't stack plywood in the back).

I agree the truck looks good!

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I think the exterior dimensions will be very, very close to a Rivian R1T. We will have to wait for something official of course but that is my hunch.

My guess is they received a lot of feedback from potential owners saying they want the Cybertruck to be garageable.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I think the exterior dimensions will be very, very close to a Rivian R1T. We will have to wait for something official of course but that is my hunch.

My guess is they received a lot of feedback from potential owners saying they want the Cybertruck to be garageable.
No thank you. I want a full size truck. As I have posted here before, I parked next to a Rivian at a charging station. I was taken back by how small the RT 1 was. Once you have experienced a full size truck and especially a super crew. Why would you want to travel any other way. I can fit 5 full sized adults in in comfortably for long haul trips.

I am seriously hoping it is full sized and not mid sized. I do not want that compromise. I cannot believe Elon wants a cute mid sized truck. He wants a bad ass truck that will fulfill the needs of a broad spectrum of users types.

Tesla Cybertruck The Beta CT dimensions are now perfection IMG20230217101312 (1)

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The goal the of truck was to compete head on with the Ford F-150. It’s a huge vehicle segment that Tesla wants to tap into. The Cybertruck will probably end up being the cash cow for the Tesla once mass production kicks in.

It’s all speculation at this point. Tesla should be revealing specs
and pricing within the next 4-6 months.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
If Tesla goes with a Rivian sized truck they will be discarding one of the largest truck buying segments in the US:

Government and business truck sales. They use regular full size half ton pickups in the US for most every fleet of work trucks. The beds in these trucks have a pretty standard size for a reason.

If Tesla makes the bed size smaller they will be saying: "Hey! Ford! We don't want all that business which has kept you the largest volume truck seller in the US for many decades. Tesla is just a 'consumer' pickup!"

CyberJustice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag

Lol wut.

The Cybertruck is still a full sized pickup, it's only 5% smaller overall than the prototype, which was absurdly huge.

That picture comparison doesn't actually show the proper dimensions since it's on a wide angle.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I owned a Lightning for a brief period of 3-months (sold). I can tell you that parking my Lighting vs. my R1T in the same carport was equally challenging.

The big difference between the two is the height and not so much the width. Parked side by side the illusion is that the slab sided F150 is much larger when in reality it is not. Yes, the F150 is wider but not by much.

This photo has me convinced the CT will slot in size wise between the R1T and F150.

Tesla Cybertruck The Beta CT dimensions are now perfection 3AEFA81F-4D7B-4E9E-A46D-E592E2FAA5DA

Last edited:

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I like the latest incarnation of the Cybertruck but I still prefer the original version better. The way the sides folded (both above and below) in from the crease line just gave it a more dramatic look. I completely understand that it may have caused too much incursion on passenger space once the truck size was slightly reduced. I still think it's going to be a winner overall.
This will be my first truck. I've avoided them before because I just didn't like the way they looked and the minivans we've owned were hard to beat in utility. I could carry full sheets of plywood with the rear hatch closed, bikes fit inside completely assembled, plenty of roof room for kayaks and they towed the jet skis just fine.

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Each of us will have a slightly different idea of perfection. Tesla appears to be gambling that a slight shrink will scare away fewer people on the fence than a larger full sized truck that is hard to find parking spots for and will not fit in the garage.

I think from the perspective of maximizing sales they are spot on provided the truck is not too small for many contractors. If it is smaller but maintains towing capacity, payload and range This shrink will please more than it scares away.

I have had a 3/4 ton pickup most of my life as my daily driver because I need it for towing and hauling. I am not a contractor. I only need it to function as a 3/4 ton less than 10% of the time. If Tesla is able to cover that 10% with a truck slightly smaller than an F150 they will not be able to build them fast enough.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The big difference between the two is the height and not so much the width. Parked side by side the illusion is that the slab sided F150 is much larger when in reality it is not. Yes, the F150 is wider but not by much.
All-together, the Rivian’s exterior dimensions alongside its interior space and cargo capabilities should leave one wondering: why do I want mid-sized interior/cargo space trucj but in a nearly full-sized footprint?

The F150’s 145.5-inch wheelbase is around 10 inches longer than the Rivian (135.8-inches) and the F150 is about 15 inches longer overall (232.7-inches vs. 217.1-inches). They are similar heights when the Rivian is raised, both landing around 78-inches. With mirrors folded, the Rivian is 81.8-inches wide versus Ford's 83.6-inches mirrors folded. A shorter, but somehow still basically full sized footprint.

The Rivian is taller, wider, and longer than the Tacoma. In normal driving situations, the R1T is about 2.5 inches taller (73.1 inches) than the Tacoma (70.6 inches).

So, in external dimensions, the Rivian falls somewhere between the two juggernauts of full-sized vs mid-sized trucks. E.g., shorter than the F150, so is more garageable, but longer than the Tacoma, etc.

But other than for garagability and a minor increase in maneuverability, the exterior dimensions don’t really matter when considering full-sizes vs mid-sized. What matters more is cargo room, and interior dimensions.

As for cargo and interior, the Rivian is - in my view - entirely a midsized truck, but with a frunk.

But the main culprit is interior room:

Rivian

Front head room41.1 in.
Front leg room41.4 in.
Front shoulder room60.6 in.
Front hip room54.9 in.
Rear head room38.1 in.
Rear leg room36.6 in.
Rear shoulder room59.0 in.
Rear hip room54.2 in.

Tacoma:

Front head room39.7 in.
Front leg room42.9 in.
Front shoulder room58.3 in.
Front hip room57.2 in.
Rear head room38.3 in.
Rear leg room32.6 in.
Rear shoulder room58.9 in.
Rear hip room56.3 in.

For all intents and purposes, the Rivian and Tacoma average out to being identically sized interiors, with one or the other variously having a marginal advantage or disadvantage at each spec.

But the F150:

Front head room40.8 in.
Front leg room43.9 in.
Front shoulder room66.7 in.
Front hip room62.5 in.
Rear head room40.4 in.
Rear leg room43.6 in.
Rear shoulder room66.0 in.
Rear hip room62.6 in.

As far as interior, the Rivian is decidedly mid-sized.

The R1T’s 4-foot-6-inch bed, is plainly mid-sized territory - shorter than a Tacoma’s smallest bed, and at least with a Tacoma you can opt for a 6’ long bed instead. Because the back seat area is also significant cargo room for trucks, the Rivian again is plainly mid-sized territory; even with its gear tunnel’s 11sqft of room, it doesn’t match the F150’s “cabin” cargo area, or a Tacoma’s ability to be fitted with a long bed. That really leaves the frunk, which differentiates the Rivian from any ICE truck’s cargo abilities, but compared to any BEV it’ll come up in BEV mid-sized terms (it’s materially smaller than the Lightning frunk, and the CT will almost certainly eclipse even the Lightning.)

In all, even with the Rivian’s frunk, an argument could be made that it’s still decidedly mid-sized in cargo aspects because again the Tacoma comes with a longer bed standard or can be fitted with a long bed.

Rivian is a decidedly mid-sized truck in functionality, but a short though otherwise full-size exterior dimensioned truck for no good reason.

Maybe it’s hard, afterall, to build competitive trucks.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
Lol wut.

The Cybertruck is still a full sized pickup, it's only 5% smaller overall than the prototype, which was absurdly huge.

That picture comparison doesn't actually show the proper dimensions since it's on a wide angle.
"which was absurdly huge." Nope, I disagree. The original CT dimensions were pretty much the average of the dimensions of the big 3 (Ford, Chevy, Ram) regular half ton pickups. Among people who use trucks for work that is "the standard"/normal size and is not "huge." Those trucks all have beds made the same size for a reason - a truck bed that width has the most usage cases for people who use the trucks for work.

I get that many here don't use their truck and don't plan on using the CT for actual work. But, if Tesla makes a truck that does NOT have a bed size comparable to the competition they'll be sending a message to the entities that use a truck for work that it isn't competing in that market.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla goes with a Rivian sized truck they will be discarding one of the largest truck buying segments in the US:
Don’t worry.

It’s still within a couple inches in every direction of the OG.

The 4x8 sheet of plywood is the gold standard trucks go by. It’ll pass.

CyberJustice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
"which was absurdly huge." Nope, I disagree. The original CT dimensions were pretty much the average of the dimensions of the big 3 (Ford, Chevy, Ram) regular half ton pickups. Among people who use trucks for work that is "the standard"/normal size and is not "huge." Those trucks all have beds made the same size for a reason - a truck bed that width has the most usage cases for people who use the trucks for work.

I get that many here don't use their truck and don't plan on using the CT for actual work. But, if Tesla makes a truck that does NOT have a bed size comparable to the competition they'll be sending a message to the entities that use a truck for work that it isn't competing in that market.
You realize Cybertruck has 100 cubic feet of exterior storage while an f150 has 67 cubic feet.

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
the real question above this is : will the cybertruck be for the worldwide market ? If yes, it should be a mid size truck, if it’s only for north america, tesla should keep the full size.

No thank you. I want a full size truck. As I have posted here before, I parked next to a Rivian at a charging station. I was taken back by how small the RT 1 was. Once you have experienced a full size truck and especially a super crew. Why would you want to travel any other way. I can fit 5 full sized adults in in comfortably for long haul trips.

I am seriously hoping it is full sized and not mid sized. I do not want that compromise. I cannot believe Elon wants a cute mid sized truck. He wants a bad ass truck that will fulfill the needs of a broad spectrum of users types.

IMG20230217101312 (1).jpg
Sponsored