Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
No, not assuming that at all.

1. You finance the panels, the batteries, and switching.
  2. You provide the real estate and use your existing utility hook up.
  3. Tesla brokers the power, you get paid, Tesla gets a brokerage fee.
It's essentially like Uber for power, only Tesla is selling you the equipment *at a profit* instead of you using your own. Tesla is perfectly happy sharing the profits you earn. Since you financed it, it's only fair right?
Musk has said on numerous occasions that VPP is not about making money, it is about doing what is best for the World’s energy needs. I believe him!
Sponsored

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
The mane of the company is Tesla for a reason…?
And to think, I was just joking. Tesla himself was ahead, only, his concept of generated lightning bolt was called by the press death ray.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Musk has said on numerous occasions that VPP is not about making money, it is about doing what is best for the World’s energy needs. I believe him!
If you ask Musk, everything about Tesla (and SpaceX) is altruistic.

Seems like they are making a lot of money doing what's best for the world's energy needs.

That is only half-cynical. I'm ok with Tesla making money, if they didn't, they wouldn't be where they are right now. Fundamentally, you can't do what Tesla does unless you make boatloads of money.

The problem is how can you tell when it's profit for a good cause or just profit taking? Is there a difference if the company is doing what you want it to do?

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
No, not assuming that at all.

1. You finance the panels, the batteries, and switching.
  2. You provide the real estate and use your existing utility hook up.
  3. Tesla brokers the power, you get paid, Tesla gets a brokerage fee.
It's essentially like Uber for power, only Tesla is selling you the equipment *at a profit* instead of you using your own. Tesla is perfectly happy sharing the profits you earn. Since you financed it, it's only fair right?
Actually it is more than fair………how many reading this for the first time thought that the cost of owning a 135 kHw big battery Tri motor could be subsidized? Or any EV for that matter. It is just that the TrI motor may end up profitable?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Actually it is more than fair………how many reading this for the first time thought that the cost of owning a 135 kHw big battery Tri motor could be subsidized?
This is the great thing about Musks master plan, not only do they profit on this deal coming and going, their customers are smiling while it's happening.

Like a symbiont or parasite that injects endorphins into the host to keep it happy.

It is just that the TrI motor may end up profitable?
Don't hold your breath. Even if you left your truck parked all day long I doubt you'd break even.

I can imagine in 30 years people leaving their old beat up Cybertruck collecting dust in their garage or yard, using it's 70% capacity battery to help pay for rent.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess you misunderstood my answer. I was clearly answering your question:
I was purposely doing this step by step to see if I could get people to reason. You can lead the horse to water but you can't make it think. So I'll shoot the horse and hope to kill this thing off.

It was a trick question. I hoped at least a few people would realize that. The answer is that there is nothing on a dcbel box that you can plug into an existing Tesla vehicle that would let you transfer energy from the car's battery to the grid or your house or anywhere else.

The other hose on the dcbel box is the hose that would be used for V2H/G when and if it becomes available for Tesla vehicles. Right now you can reserve with either a CCS or CHAdeMO connector. CHAdeMO is currently bidirectional capable. There are experimental programs in place where CHAdeMO vehicles, in particular the Nissan Leaf, are being used to send power from V2X. The dcbel box is not compatible with any other vehicle. The words from the horse's mouth (forbear, A.J., forbear...) are "As a rule of thumb, electric vehicles with an AC J1772 or CCS charging port manufactured prior to 2022 do not allow for bidirectional power flow. Once these standards are formally revised, dcbel hardware can integrate the bidirectional charging protocol changes via a small over-the-air update."

So another misleading "could, would, should, might..." from fantasy land. Someday perhaps...

Last edited:
OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If you ask Musk, everything about Tesla (and SpaceX) is altruistic.

Seems like they are making a lot of money doing what's best for the world's energy needs.

That is only half-cynical. I'm ok with Tesla making money, if they didn't, they wouldn't be where they are right now. Fundamentally, you can't do what Tesla does unless you make boatloads of money.

The problem is how can you tell when it's profit for a good cause or just profit taking? Is there a difference if the company is doing what you want it to do?
That is a totally different topic….Capitalism is good. We simply live during a period that fact has been badly distorted by politics. You only make a profit when you make something the people need. You are assuming profit can be miss used….and it can. Our Government is the perfect example of that. Often people have no idea of the risk involved to start a business, unless they have tried. Musk is the perfect example……on the edge of being dead broke after investing everything he had on Tesla. His reward now has nothing to do with money. I know I have been their.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
………how many reading this for the first time thought that the cost of owning a 135 kHw big battery Tri motor could be subsidized? Or any EV for that matter. It is just that the TrI motor may end up profitable
Quite a few. Several here have posted that they have a dozen CT's reserved only one of which they plan to drive. The others will be put into Robo Taxi service and the revenue from their operation will more than pay for the one they will keep for their own use.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I was purposely doing this step by step to see if I could get people to reason. You can lead the horse to water but you can't make it think. So I'll shoot the horse and hope to kill this thing off.

It was a trick question. I hoped at least a few people would realize that. The answer is that there is nothing on a dcbel box that you can plug into an existing Tesla veghicle that would let you transfer energy from the car's battery to the grid or your house or anywhere else.

The other hose on the dcbel box is the hose that would be used for V2H/G when and if it becomes available for Tesla vehicles. Right now you can reserve with either a CCS or CHAdeMO connector. CHAdeMO is currently bidirectional capable. There are experimental programs in place where CHAdeMO vehicles, in particular the Nissan Leaf, are being used to send power from V2X. The dcbel box is not compatible with any other vehicle. The words from the horse's mouth (forbear, A.J., forbear...) are "As a rule of thumb, electric vehicles with an AC J1772 or CCS charging port manufactured prior to 2022 do not allow for bidirectional power flow. Once these standards are formally revised, dcbel hardware can integrate the bidirectional charging protocol changes via a small over-the-air update."

So another misleading "could, would, should, might..." from fantasy land. Someday perhaps...
This reminds me of a story I read in a 1957 National Geographic magazine. It was about the last remaining GillyGaLoo bird on Easter Island. Somewhere along the genetic history they had developed a bad habit.. A scientist watch the hatching of last egg. He feed and nursed for months until it was able to fly. As he watched the bird took flight heading straight out 200 miles into the ocean. Then it started making ever decreasing concentric circle. 50 mile radius, 40, 30, 10, 5, 0……..ending up with his head up his ass…..?

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So now you have both feet in your mouth and your head where the sun don't shine. Why are you advertising this?

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This is the great thing about Musks master plan, not only do they profit on this deal coming and going, their customers are smiling while it's happening.

Like a symbiont or parasite that injects endorphins into the host to keep it happy.

Don't hold your breath. Even if you left your truck parked all day long I doubt you'd break even.

I can imagine in 30 years people leaving their old beat up Cybertruck collecting dust in their garage or yard, using it's 70% capacity battery to help pay for rent.
Look at the bright side…..it won’t be rusty.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

The trick is to get in the VPP grid game with you EV battery power early. If you watched the YouTube video on posted the guy that, lives in Mass., has 4 Power Walls in his home and he is on a program selling 60% of his power wall reserve for peak power demand. He said he receives checks for over $2,000/yr. The TriMotor will have the equivalent of 10 power walls. The power is automatically recharged during period of low rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So now you have both feet in your mouth and your head where the sun don't shine. Why are you advertising this?
Your just too quick for me…?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have 4x TM CTs on order (#52k), 2 for home battery storage. I'm offgrid, but CTs are cheaper than Powerwalls for the same capacity but come with free cybertruck bodies attached with wheels...win win. ?
Sponsored