The Jeff Dahn interview: One-on-one with Canada’s foremost lithium-ion battery expert

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a long read.

Tesla Cybertruck The Jeff Dahn interview: One-on-one with Canada’s foremost lithium-ion battery expert JeffDahninterview-800x500

From his renowned research lab at Dalhousie University, the NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair speaks exclusively to Electric Autonomy on lithium-ion battery progress, vehicle-to-grid integration, hydrogen and more

According to Professor Jeffrey Dahn, Canada’s reputation for turning out top talent, innovation and products in battery technology is polling worldwide at an all-time high.

Dahn would know. He is a lithium-ion pioneer and the NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair. His name is synonymous with battery technology.

“I think Canada is pulling way above our weight in lithium-ion battery R&D and beyond lithium-ion R&D,” says Dahn in an exclusive, wide-ranging interview with Electric Autonomy Canada. “We are in a very good place in the moment, I have to say — and it’s only going to get better.”

That prediction is just one of many things Dahn discusses in his interview. Among the others:
  • He lifts the curtain on what he believes could be around the corner in the lithium-ion battery space including the prospect of a million-mile and $100/kWh battery
  • Besides that battery’s obvious benefits for EV makers and EV drivers, Dahn explains why it’s also significant for utilities keen to scale up vehicle-to-grid charging
  • Dahn tells us what 10 years of working in hydrogen fuel cells earlier in his career taught him about their likely role in electric transportation.
  • He shares his thoughts on why Canada is a natural place to build a lithium-ion battery plant — and why it isn’t

Canadian talent on the battery stage

The word “boast” doesn’t seem to exist in Dahn’s lexicon, but he’s proud to stand by his research. To Dahn, the future lies in lithium-ion batteries and much of it is due to the work coming out of labs around the world, including his.

Last October, Electric Autonomy Canada exclusively reported Tesla acquired Richmond Hill, Ont.-based company Hibar Systems Ltd. Hibar specializes in precision pump dispensing equipment used in battery manufacturing.

Tesla has yet to comment publicly on the news. But the reveal generated intense public interest about the under-tapped potential Tesla was seeing and investing in, in Canada.

“There are some very good labs and researchers across the country,” says Dahn. “Batteries are going to get smaller, cheaper, longer lasting.”

Dahn rattles off names of his colleagues — Xueliang (Andy) Sun at Western University, Zhongwei Chen and Linda Nazar at University of Waterloo, the Hydro-Québec research team and E-One Moli Energy research teams. All esteemed, decorated and celebrated researchers in their own right — people he admires.

Significant successes

While there is natural competition in the race to the best battery, Canadian researchers and developers champion each other’s successes. And they have been significant. The world’s first alkaline and lithium batteries were invented by Canadian Lewis Urry, in 1954. In 1977, the world’s first rechargeable lithium-metal battery was commercialized in British Columbia by Moli Energy Ltd. — the company of Dahn’s early mentor, Rudi Haering.

Since then innumerable Canadian talents have gone abroad to work at leading global tech companies.

And then there is Dahn: a rising star in Canada’s battery labs for 15 years before setting up his own shop at Dalhousie in 1996 where, as a professor in both the departments of physics and chemistry, he heads the Jeff Dahn Research Group.

In 2016, he formed an exclusive research partnership with Tesla “to develop lithium-ion batteries with longer lifetime, higher energy density and lower cost.”

Dahn said at the time of the announcement, “Our goal is to do something useful.”

By his own account Dahn and his group have achieved at least one of those aims — longevity — as outlined in a paper his team published in 2019.

The promise that a long-lifetime, or million-mile, battery holds for the EV sector is huge. If and when a lithium-ion battery is developed that hits the $100/kWh price point, that is when cost parity between EVs and internal combustion vehicles will be achieved, say experts.

“What you are going to find is that as manufacturing becomes more and more scaled over time, at the same types of volumes as internal combustion vehicles, the costs of EVs are going to come quite a bit down,” says Dahn.

In April, Tesla founder Elon Musk dropped major news to analysts about how “scaled” production could become: his company is eyeing premises for a Terafactory for Cybertrucks in Austin, Tex.

Hydrogen fuel cells versus lithium-ion

To those who don’t know Dahn’s history it may seem like he holds a singular preoccupation with lithium-ion. Not so.

Dahn spent a decade in the fuel cell space trying to riddle out just that question: is lithium-ion the best? How does it stack up against another magic fuel source: the hydrogen fuel cell? The answer, he found, comes down to math. And it doesn’t favour the fuel cell.

Dahn’s calculus starts with the type of energy used to make hydrogen in the first place: fossil fuels or green.

“As soon as you say the only source of hydrogen that you’ll accept is hydrogen that comes from the electrolysis of water by solar or wind … that’s about 70 per cent efficient,” he says. “And then you have to take the hydrogen and compress it into tanks. And that’s about 90 per cent efficient. Then you have to run a fuel cell, which is only about 55 per cent efficient.”

“By the time you multiply those three efficiencies together, from the solar panel or windmill to the wheels of the car, it’s about 35 per cent efficient. And if you compare that to a lithium-ion system, you are about 95 per cent efficient,” says Dahn.

“The fuel cell has this fundamental limitation of an efficiency problem. As soon as you say you can’t use fossil fuels and everything is coming from solar and wind then the fuel cell doesn’t look very good.”

Long-range transportation

That’s not to say there isn’t a place for hydrogen fuel cells at all.

“The only reason to use a fuel cell might be for extremely long-range transportation like long-haul trucking where people are going 1,000 kilometres per day,” says Dahn.

Trucks that aren’t stopping for food or bathroom breaks make more sense for hydrogen fuel than road-trippers who can plug in during pit stops.

As for the solid-state batteries in R&D at the Volkswagen labs, Dahn is interested in the developments, but isn’t sure they will be catching up to lithium-ion’s 40-year head start anytime soon. “The [lithium-ion] cost is decent and the performance and lifetime is very good — the safety record is far better than a gasoline-powered car,” says Dahn.

“Whether something better can come along, I don’t know. It remains to be seen what kind of performance those types of solid state batteries can deliver and at what cost.”

Are we there yet?

There are thousands of online discussions speculating about what battery heights Tesla will reach by their upcoming Battery Day — currently scheduled for Sept. 15, after multiple delays. Tesla watchers are on tenterhooks.

But as yet there is no official confirmation about what, exactly, will be announced.

As part of the terms of this interview Dahn was explicit: he could not discuss Tesla and his work for them nor could Electric Autonomy Canada bring it up. Both sides adhered to the agreement.

Dahn is firm in respecting Tesla’s privacy. He refrains from discussing the specifics of his work (demurring, for example, when asked what his April 2020 patent application “Method For Synthesizing Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum Electrodes” means for battery advancement).

But his guiding principles — the creed by which he conducts his research — offer a peek behind the curtain. “We have three major goals: reduce the cost of lithium-ion batteries, help improve the lifetime and improve the energy density,” says Dahn. “Everything we do addresses those three goals.”

But have they done it?

“I think the $100/kWh is very attainable,” says Dahn.

And the long-lifetime or million-mile battery?

Well, Dahn writes it himself in his paper, “We present a wide range of testing results on an excellent moderate-energy-density…We conclude that cells of this type should be able to power an electric vehicle for over 1.6 million kilometers (1 million miles) and last at least two decades in grid energy storage.”

And since then Dahn has only seen further real-life proof that a long-lifetime lithium-ion battery exists in the now.

“I know there are companies that manufacture things like that at this time,” says Dahn. “We’re not far off. Some lithium-ion batteries are there.”

Vehicle-to-grid solution

That last statement doesn’t simply unlock the potential around price and longevity the million-mile battery offers to EV makers and drivers. It also points to ways in which the million-mile battery could also be the Rosetta Stone for a green energy future — through vehicle-to-grid energy transfer.

“I mean how often do you drive a million miles? Probably not very often,” says Dahn. “And you need a really long-lifetime battery if you want to tie into the grid.”

Here’s the situation. For utilities to be able to bring solar and wind energy online at the scale needed to replace fossil fuels, the grid needs to add a huge amount of electricity storage capability — to ensure electricity is available when it’s needed, not just when the wind is blowing or the sun is shining.

To illustrate the magnitude of the storage needs, Dahn points to the province of Ontario which consumes, on average, 500 gigawatt hours per day. “You would need to take world production of lithium-ion batteries in 2022, buy every single lithium battery produced in 2022, site them in Ontario and then you would have enough electricity storage to power Ontario for one day,” says Dahn. “One day. It’s just massive.”

“What’s that battery going to look like [to achieve that all over the world]?” Dahn asks rhetorically. “I don’t know. Do we have enough resources to create energy storage at that level? I just don’t know.”

What he does know is that plugging a multitude of cars with million-mile batteries into the grid when they are parked at home or business “is an important part of the puzzle.”

“You’ll sign up with a utility to let them use your car to store and deliver energy within certain limits,” says Dahn. “In doing that kind of approach you are putting discharge cycles on your car without ever moving. This is why you need a really long-lifetime battery if you want to tie to the grid.”

Vehicle-to-grid won’t be feasible everywhere, cautions Dahn. “It works in the case where people are going to be connected. Then you can do it. I feel like it’s going to be a reasonable majority of people who are like that.”

Recycling and manufacturing

The longevity of the million-mile battery — remember Dahn’s 2019 paper says they’ll have the potential of lasting two decades — also raises the prospect of “second use” of these batteries for full-time energy storage once the car expires.

While Dahn concedes that he doesn’t have a lot of expertise in battery recycling, “it appears there are paths forward for economical recycling, which is a good thing,” he says.

“Where do internal combustion engines go? You recycle a lot of the metals from those, that’s for sure. There is no reason you couldn’t do the same for batteries as well.”

The mention of recycling and end-of-life battery opportunities also brings the discussion full circle, to the production of batteries in the first place. It’s an area where many Canadian policy makers, OEMs, politicians and labour leaders argue this country needs to get in the game to expand our stake in the battery supply chain and to foster more domestic EV manufacturing.

Given Dahn’s bullishness on our battery R&D talent and capabilities, does he see an opportunity here? His answer, at best, is a qualified ‘yes.’

“To produce lithium-ion batteries, a couple of things are important,” says Dahn. “One of them is access to abundant clean and inexpensive power. So, a place that has hydro-electric power, like Quebec or B.C. where it’s inexpensive, these would be good places to site a lithium battery plant. [Another] is access to the materials that are necessary. Quebec has lithium graphite, Ontario has nickel, so there is a lot of the minerals that are needed in Canada. Then there is the talent pool and probably we can supply that from the output of all the university work.”

The problem? “You want to make the vehicles where the market is, too, and the Canadian market is small.”

The road ahead

Despite the global focus on his lab, Dahn isn’t phased by the celebrity swirling around him for the last four years.

With so much achieved and so much yet to be discovered, he isn’t taking his eye off the prize. It’s still critical to focus on the science and cultivate a work environment that churns out the technology of tomorrow.

“I think Thomas Edison maybe said it best. He said it’s 99 per cent perspiration and one per cent inspiration,” says Dahn. “I tell my students that, when you are in research, if you have four or five eureka moments in a year, that’s a good year.”

Dahn dedicates his energy to research and teamwork, two fluid and perennially challenging goals with no set finish line. When pressed to cite a highlight of his 40 years in the business, the legacy Dahn is most proud of is that of his students.

“I’ve been fortunate to have some really fantastic graduate students and post-docs over the years. I now have people from Tunisia, Estonia, Thailand, China, USA, Canada, India. It’s kind of nice to have that big cultural mix. Everybody brings a different way of doing things to the table. It’s really a pleasure to be able to have them in the lab. It makes it fun.”

But for Dahn, what’s next?

“I have this history of helping or setting up a research partnership with only one company at a time. What I want to be able to do is help more local start ups in Nova Scotia,” says Dahn. “When I retire that will be my goal: to help more local companies.”

And what is the most valuable piece of advice he has for the next generation of researchers — the thousands of students Dahn has taught directly and the millions more around the world who will be picking up the research torch in the coming years?

“You have to love what you do. That’s the most important thing for a researcher,” says Dahn. “If you aren’t loving what you are doing you should not be researching.”

Tesla Cybertruck The Jeff Dahn interview: One-on-one with Canada’s foremost lithium-ion battery expert JeffDahnEffect2-800x500
Jeff Dahn with a student in his Dalhousie-based lab. Source: NSERC

In the second of our feature series on the NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair, we focus on the cluster of lithium-ion battery expertise building around Dahn’s lab at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia and his extended impact on the next generation of Canadian researchers and developers

Lithium-ion batteries are critical to the future of green energy and Nova Scotia is going all in to support and grow its cleantech economy — in significant part by harnessing the power of an industry champion.

“We recognize Jeff Dahn is a significant force in the battery world,” says Suzanne Fraser, investment attraction executive at Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI), a business development agency.

“Everyone in the international space knows who he is.”

For 40 years, Jeffrey Dahn, a Dalhousie University physics professor and the NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair, has been immersed in lithium-ion technology. As detailed in the first article in this series, based on his exclusive interview with Electric Autonomy Canada, Dahn’s reputation as an industry pioneer was a steady build until 2016, when he was catapulted to international name recognition after signing an exclusive five-year R&D contract with Tesla.

Lasting impact

In a 2017 TEDx talk, Dahn estimates one in 10 electric cars on the road uses chemistry that comes out of his lab. Much global credit is owed to Dahn for advancing technology and establishing lithium-ion as a viable energy storage option.

But back in Nova Scotia, there are signs — and expectations — that Dahn will have an even greater, lasting impact on his home soil.

Through his work at Dalhousie, Dahn is not only developing and testing new methods of energy storage and publishing world-famous papers on his findings, but attracting and mentoring the best and brightest minds from around the world — the next generation of lithium-ion researchers. Beyond the classroom, spin-off companies, partnerships and contracts with international technology leaders are also taking root.

“Everything we’ve done is really only possible because of the opportunities from Jeff…to this day [he] still refers customers to us who come to him with questions. We couldn’t be here without him, frankly,” says Chris Burns, a former Dahn student and the co-founder of Novonix, a company in suburban Halifax formed out of Dahn’s lab to develop battery testing equipment.

It may not yet be common knowledge across Canada, but Nova Scotia is undergoing a transformation from Canada’s crown jewel for seafood, ships and Alexander Keith’s to a globally recognized battery research and development cluster. Call it the Jeff Dahn effect.

Helping local companies

Dahn — who first moved to Nova Scotia at age 13 when his family emigrated from Bridgeport, Conn. — is always looking ahead to what’s around the next curve, both for himself, professionally and the industry. As we reported in our previous article, Dahn says his goal is “to be able to help more local start-ups in Nova Scotia. When I retire that will be my goal: to help more local companies.”

In fact, as the example of Burns and Novonix shows, that work is already well underway. Dahn is committed to building an industry in Nova Scotia that will retain the talent that passes through his lab and the other nine university and 13 college campuses in the province.

“There are some very good labs and researchers across the country,” says Dahn. “I’m proudest of my students who have gone off and done really well. I think that makes me the most happy, to tell you the truth.”

“If you combine those two things together: ‘I have to work more and think more’ and ‘It has to be right,’ you have a pretty good scientist there.”
Jeff Dahn, NSERC / Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair
On the Jeff Dahn Research Group lab website there is a list of former students. It’s a wall of fame for graduates of Dahn’s program that tracks their careers.

Research scientists, Tesla engineers, CEOs, professors — the possibilities appear limitless.

Thousands of students around the world vie for the opportunity to join the lab. Today there are currently 18 students from six countries — just a snapshot of the international appeal the lab enjoys.

“It’s really nice to get a cross section of people from all over the world,” says Dahn. “I’m taking on people who are passionate about the type of research that we do, who are really creative, think outside the box and think of things that I don’t think of.”

Dahn works closely with his protégés, helping guide their research, hone their methods and chase their passion.

The key, Dahn says is to nurture precision and grit in each of the students. “If you combine those two things together: ‘I have to work more and think more’ and ‘It has to be right,’ you have a pretty good scientist there.”

So far Dahn’s lab boasts two direct spin-off companies situated in the Halifax area: Novonix and DPM Solutions, a company that designs custom research equipment.

The cluster building up around Dahn’s lab and the labs of other notable Dalhousie researchers — including professors Mark Obrovac and Lukas Swan — have helped lure companies like battery maker Salient Energy to relocate from Ontario to the Atlantic Coast and helped to attract the attention of international power players like Apple, GM and Panasonic.

Novonix, meanwhile, which Burns co-founded with David Stevens, another of Dahn’s former students, now holds contracts with companies in over 15 countries — including Tesla, Samsung and Microsoft. Beyond its founders, the company has an additional five Dahn mentees working in their lab, including Dahn’s son.

The making of a mentor

Dahn comes by his mentoring skills and passion for teaching honestly, having spent his life working his way through the ranks of battery research; starting as a student, climbing to a lab head and working with everything from lithium metal to lithium-ion to hydrogen fuel cells.

He got his first break in the battery industry at age 21; taken under the wing of Rudi Haering, a University of British Columbia professor working to commercialize the rechargeable lithium-metal battery.

“In the 1980s there were no rechargeable lithium batteries or lithium-ion batteries and a lot of the materials and components you’d need weren’t available,” recalls Dahn. “[For example] we started out using the wick-able membranes from disposable diapers as separators.”

Dahn’s relationship and eventual employment with Haering, who was later named an Officer of the Order of Canada, yielded two important discoveries: the thrill of innovation and the value of a great mentor.

The two keep in touch to this day.

When asked for his impressions of Dahn, Haering tells Electric Autonomy Canada: “Jeff’s work at Moli Energy, NRC and Dalhousie is world-renowned. He is one of the world’s most respected scientists in the field of Li-ion batteries…even [in 1980] it was clear that Jeff was outstanding.”

A nucleus to build around

The potential to leverage the Jeff Dahn effect to build a lasting battery cluster in the Halifax area is by now top of mind for the Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI).

By pairing that hub with the province’s overall academic and R&D expertise as well as Canada’s preferred market access, it also hopes to entice more manufacturing to move to the province to really cement the industry as an end-to-end provincial mainstay.

“What happens when you get a nucleus that’s so strong in terms of their skill and expertise…you end up at this place where they grow and nurture people who grow and become their own entities and have their own expertise,” says Laurel Broten, CEO and president of NSBI.

The result is a self-fulfilling prophecy: “Others around the world say, ‘Hey, I want to be in that zone and near that expertise,’ and it just begins to grow,” says Broten.

“[For example] I spoke with a company who partnered with Novonix to pilot their cells,” adds her colleague Fraser. “Because of that partnership they are now interested in locating some R&D here and they are exploring Nova Scotia as a potential place to manufacture their battery cells as well. R&D is kind of a good way for them to dip their toe in the water and then we hope they scale here as well.”

“Every time I speak to a battery company and say, ‘Have you ever heard of Nova Scotia?’ they say ‘Oh, yes, we know about Nova Scotia because of Jeff.'”.

Ironically, part of their selling job is still about raising local awareness of Dahn’s story and influence.

“We want to make sure people locally understand the significant impact he’s making globally to the development of lithium ion batteries,” says Fraser.

Keeping talent at home

Part of that is highlighting Dahn’s initial pursuit of Tesla in 2014. He singlehandedly “brought the relationship to Nova Scotia,” recalls Burns. Ultimately, Tesla expanded its reach into the province. They opened a research centre in Dartmouth in 2016 and have relationships with local labs — like Novonix — to test research coming out of the adjacent Halifax cluster.

That investment, in turn, has led to the creation of good R&D jobs with high-profile companies — the ones that students would have previously chased to California — which helps Nova Scotia retain the talent they teach.

It’s a realization of one of Dahn’s goals: stemming the national brain drain by creating opportunities that allow Canadian researchers to find good jobs at home.

“All these kind of direct links are ways Jeff really supports the people around him and the people who come up through his lab,” says Burns.

“He’s the reason we’re here, the reason all these things have started up here and the reason that momentum has really been gained here. He’s a really modest guy and would shy away from this, but at the end of the day it all does tie back to his influence on the industry and his ability to bring these types of opportunities or help create these types of opportunities here in Atlantic Canada.”

Source : Electric Autonomy Canada
Sponsored