Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Maybe as an add on for when you want to go camping?
I'm thinking a contractors roof rack anyway. Adding a 3 panel that folds out from that would be great. How about as a rental option?
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I would prefer some sort of option for an attachable panel rather than one that folds out.

Obviously this wouldn't really work while driving, I wouldn't want to use it while my truck is parked anywhere else that is away from home or a friends house since it could easily be damaged by a bad driver. So at that point I would be limited to while i'm at home and if it's not charging while i'm driving, or while at work, or running errands, I don't really have much use for it. If someone works from home or likes to stay home on weekends, this could be beneficial for them. As for myself, I usually only stay home on bad weather days, which also wouldn't benefit me for solar charging.

I also really like the storage in the sail pillars because it's not just additional storage to me but it's not storage that i'm commonly going in and out of. I might be alone on this but I really like to have my vehicles really organized; if I have something in my truck that stays in my truck, I like it to be out of the way. I would probably keep my frunk empty for groceries and other shopping bags, under the bed would be for cables and an emergency kit, the sails depending on their size could probably fit some basic tools, a tire repair kit, and other items I would like to keep with me on the road. The more storage available that isn't the bed lets me keep the bed free of small items that might roll around.

However, if Tesla added some way to plug in additional solar panels to work with the cover solar panels, I would consider it. You would keep the storage and be able to use the additional panels at home or take them with you while camping.

My biggest concern with the fold out is damage. I'm no expert in solar energy but i'm assuming to go from 15 to 30-40 you would need double or more than double the original surface area (the entire cover). so those would have to be some pretty big fold out wings. The bigger the wings, less force would need to be applied to the end to cause damage.
I would like to see them utilize the roof for solar. Maybe those transparent cells or even something that could be opened above the glass, like the tonneau cover but it would roll out over the glass. That would almost double the area for panels without having to have something that unfolds to the sides.