Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I loved that truck and teared up when I sold it.
How I felt when I sold my 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. ?

But yeah, the market was on fire so I sold it for $2k more than I bought it 3 years ago.... Couldn't say no to that when I knew it's time was limited with the CT coming.

On the topic, I don't think the CT will have submersion issues, mostly because this comes up a lot and has been addressed by Elon more than once. Even salt water should be fine AT THE TIME, but will be very bad for it in the long run. That doesn't mean I think it'll be amphibious ?

If the CPU in a Tesla dies, it will not work any more. They're really just computers on wheels, not a car with an electric drive train. This is critical to how they work and also why legacy automakers are unable to do over the air updates likes Tesla can. Literally everything, except for physical parts, is software controlled and mutable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How I felt when I sold my 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. ?

But yeah, the market was on fire so I sold it for $2k more than I bought it 3 years ago.... Couldn't say no to that when I knew it's time was limited with the CT coming.
Exact same thing here. Bought my Tundra for $8k, sold it for $10k. Didn't quite hit the peak of the market, but I owned the truck for 3 years and put 18k miles on it and sold it for a profit. Can't beat that with a stick.

On the topic, I don't think the CT will have submersion issues, mostly because this comes up a lot and has been addressed by Elon more than once. Even salt water should be fine AT THE TIME, but will be very bad for it in the long run. That doesn't mean I think it'll be amphibious ?
I think Musk was talking about short term swims. The Toyota survived getting chained to a boat launch and sitting through a full high tide cycle where the vehicle was fully submerged.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
For the CT to be in this same pantheon, I would think it would have to be functional even after all of the computer tech has shutdown.
That's like asking for the Toyota to run without the engine or carburetor.

A Tesla will run with the touch screen broken. It won't be happy about it, but it can run.

-Crissa

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like ford will win, because it's gonna be damn heavy! #normalforce

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im sure people thought the same about there old analog, pushrod, carb'd trucks before they were mixed with electronics.

I really hope that Tesla lets us use open source/ mods to the vehicle in the future.
otherwise you have a potential still great, usable vehicle thats a brick becuase some proprietary , or expensive, module.
Sponsored