Touchscreen Gear Shift options?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Found a short on youtube, and while the clickbait part didn't interest me, I noticed something that I didn't already know about the touchscreen gear shift.

It's set so that you push up for drive, and pull down for reverse. This seems very puzzling to me, is there a way to swap drive and reverse in the options?

Tesla Cybertruck Touchscreen Gear Shift options? 1707500104413

Even tesla's own gear shifters do not work that way. The only logical assumption from anyone who has ever seen a tesla with stalks, would be to swipe down for drive, and it seems to not be that way. Can this be changed?

The short, for anyone who wondered.
Sponsored

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
There is not a way to change the swipe direction, and near zero chance they would allow customization of it for safety reasons.

I'm sure Tesla thought about this and debated internally before making the decision to make it swipe up for drive and down for reverse. To me it makes sense, but i could see how it might seem unnatural at first for some folks.

Last edited:

cybercoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYLR
Country flag
Found a short on youtube, and while the clickbait part didn't interest me, I noticed something that I didn't already know about the touchscreen gear shift.

It's set so that you push up for drive, and pull down for reverse. This seems very puzzling to me, is there a way to swap drive and reverse in the options?

1707500104413.png

Even tesla's own gear shifters do not work that way. The only logical assumption from anyone who has ever seen a tesla with stalks, would be to swipe down for drive, and it seems to not be that way. Can this be changed?

The short, for anyone who wondered.
I absolutely agree. when we got our refresh X, I couldn't wrap my head around why they were the directions they were. I wanted them to be opposite. took a couple of months before it became about as innate as the gear shifter stalk. now I'm almost as fast swiping on the screen (doing a three point turn or whatever) as with the stalk

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I think Tesla did it the way they did because when you fly a jet you push the throttle forward to go forward. That is the way it will work when we all have flying cars (Roads? We don’t need no stinking roads!). (Sorry, combo of Back to the Future and Blazing Saddles.) Same for a gas pedal, push it forward. The old standby of PRND used for a century is just wrong! Isn’t it amazing how many times Tesla has deviated from tradition and done the “right” thing?

OP
OP

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
The old standby of PRND used for a century is just wrong! Isn’t it amazing how many times Tesla has deviated from tradition and done the “right” thing?
If it wasn't for tesla's belief in FSD, I would have a hard time understanding why they makes it so jarring to go from a normal vehicle to one of theirs. The primary design constraint seems to be all human input is secondary/unneeded ("all input is error"). So if the turn signals, shifter, headlight/wiper controls, rear view mirror location, etc, are all a big adjustment for a driver... They don't seem to care. A driver isn't supposed to be needed (not my actual opinion, just obvious from the design language).

TeslaFANa

First Name
Fiesky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 model s, 2018 model x, 2024 cybertruck
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
You swipe the car in the direction you want to go it’s easy
I agree with yours and other opinions here, swiping down to go Forward would remind me of the old range rovers where you had push the window button down to roll the window up and vice versa.

Tesla Cybertruck Touchscreen Gear Shift options? 1000106311
Sponsored