$TSLA The sell-off continues-what's wrong?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I for one would of welcomed it.

I'm not sure why EM doesn't show more interest in Australia to be honest.
Could do Starship launches easier from our top end, could use existing mines here to make SS and batteries. Especially so if he wants to launch a thousand Starships to Mars, that means 3-4000 booster launches inside of 2 months or so to catch the Mars window. That's 70 launches a day!

Would Boco Chica support that many flights?
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
After reading rr6013 post in the closed thread, I think I am finally understanding Elon's purchase. It is more than allowing "free speech" . I think it is about having all the news and conversation on one platform. Liberals and conservatives flock to their respective sites to reinforce their views and stay loyal to these sites with doses of sensationalism. Somehow with the open AI algorithm I think Elon wants to tone down the rhetoric by bringing out the voice of the moderate. A SM company can't do that if they appear to take a side.

Elon is thinking a level above me as usual, he has a social goal, and will monetize twitter enough to achieve it. I am going to give him a little more credit than I have to date on this issue.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
After reading rr6013 post in the closed thread, I think I am finally understanding Elon's purchase. It is more than allowing "free speech" . I think it is about having all the news and conversation on one platform. Liberals and conservatives flock to their respective sites to reinforce their views and stay loyal to these sites with doses of sensationalism. Somehow with the open AI algorithm I think Elon wants to tone down the rhetoric by bringing out the voice of the moderate. A SM company can't do that if they appear to take a side.

Elon is thinking a level above me as usual, he has a social goal, and will monetize twitter enough to achieve it. I am going to give him a little more credit than I have to date on this issue.
A lot of EM's posts were about exactly that. Listening and understanding the other sides point of view to get closer to the truth.

One of his guiding principals is all man made designs are wrong, you can only make them less wrong. For that you need the right input, and sometimes that has to come from people who don't support your position, otherwise you would not make a change at all...

So being exposed to external, unbiased, sometimes unpleasant counter arguements is necessary to find common ground to move closer to the truth. You can't have that if its intentionally one sided or lost in the din.

Last edited:

papajamaliciousness

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Subaru Outback
Occupation
lawyer
Country flag
4/29/22. Elon sold $4 billion dollars worth of stock yesterday and the day before, that's like 6 or 7 million shares? I don't know why it is still close to the share price from yesterday. Possibly the buyers got tired and ran out of money buying up cheap shares yesterday. Buying opportunity for those who didn't run out of money buying yesterday. The last couple of days probably ruined a bunch of people with long margins.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

This would be awesome. Our society is more polarized today than EVER!!! To find a place in the middle ground where all sides can reside is a very lofty goal, but it's what is needed.
Here's an awesome video that discusses our polarization.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This would be awesome. Our society is more polarized today than EVER!!! To find a place in the middle ground where all sides can reside is a very lofty goal, but it's what is needed.
Here's an awesome video that discusses our polarization.

It's difficult to find middle ground when one side's position is 'They are a criminal, I provide no evidence, but I should get to harass people.'

While you can find a 'both sides' for this, only one side is committing hate crimes around it.

Which is why it's not a good topic.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's difficult to find middle ground when one side's position is 'They are a criminal, I provide no evidence, but I should get to harass people.'

While you can find a 'both sides' for this, only one side is committing hate crimes around it.

Which is why it's not a good topic.

-Crissa
United we stand, divided we fall.

The video I linked is from 6 years ago. Walls and division have increased.

Something needs to be done.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
United we stand, divided we fall.

The video I linked is from 6 years ago. Walls and division have increased.

Something needs to be done.

OK, do what?

One side that has a large population of U.S. voters is made up of haters, racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference in U.S. election.

How do you compromise ?

When you compromise with them you eventually give them everything they want but just over a longer time period.

They control most of the traditional media and also new media (social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc).

I see no way to even attempt to convince these people to turn away from their evil paths especially when most of them already claim to be christian but do not act christian.

Last edited:

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OK, do what?

One side that has a large population of U.S. voters is made up of haters, racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference.

How do you compromise ?

When you compromise with them you eventually give them everything they want but just over a longer time period.

They control most of the traditional media and also new media (social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc).

I see no way to even attempt to convince these people to turn away from their evil paths especially when most of them already claim to be christian but do not act christian.
My goodness. Look for viewpoints outside of MSNBC, NY Times, CNN, etc. and seek professional help.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
OK, do what?

One side that has a large population of U.S. voters is made up of haters, racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference.

How do you compromise ?

Hmmm, like Zardoz said. We all need to understand that there is ALWAYS more than one perspective of virtually anything. Like Obama said in the YouTube video I posted further up in this thread. When "we" shut down other perspectives, and only listen to people with our own prospective. It isn't healthy.

This all started with some observations about why Elon may want to buy Twitter. There's a good possibility he wants to make Twitter into a town square that attempts to not take sides, and allows us all to have access to opinions in a more open environment.
This would explain why Elon wasn't interested in starting his own social network. He sees Twitter as broken, but worth trying to fix.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My goodness. Look for viewpoints outside of MSNBC, NY Times, CNN, etc.
I did not get my viewpoints from those places and especially not the FTFNYT !

What do you suggest I use?

Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Hannity, OAN, Russia Today, Federalist Society, etc.

and seek professional help.
You must have mistaken me for some one in the large population of U.S. voters made up of haters, racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference in U.S. election.

> How do you compromise ?

Notice you posted not one thing on how to compromise to them without it actually being capitulation.

These are people who talk a lot about the importance of the ten commandments & Bible but then spend little time actually practicing the teachings of Jesus.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We all need to understand that there is ALWAYS more than one perspective of virtually anything.
Nope, don't believe it because it is not true.

There is NOT ALWAYS more than one perspective. Trends always eventually end does not mean another always starts. The sun has existed for many billions of years does NOT mean the sun will ALWAYS be there.

In addition there are times like now when the other perspective is held by racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference in U.S. election.

Are you saying compromise with insanity, ignorance, bad-faith, racists, misogynist, etc?

Like Obama said in the YouTube video I posted further up in this thread. When "we" shut down other perspectives, and only listen to people with our own prospective. It isn't healthy.
It is only unhealthy if the other perspectives are in good faith and held by civilized sane people.

Right now there are not enough good faith civilized sane people spread around in enough U.S. states to overcome anti-democratic features of the U.S. Constitution and many state constitutions.

The U.S. Supreme Court has been subverted, the U.S. Senate is teetering on the edge (see what happens this Nov.).

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Nope, don't believe it because it is not true.

There is NOT ALWAYS more than one perspective. Trends always eventually end does not mean another always starts. The sun has existed for many billions of years does NOT mean the sun will ALWAYS be there.

In addition there are times like now when the other perspective is held by racists, misogynist, forced-birthers, homophobic, traitors / seditionists , selfish, christian theocrats, fascists/authoritarians ( against democracy), many want democrats dead, etc and a lot of ultra-wealthy and are OK with Russia/Putin state interference in U.S. election.

Are you saying compromise with insanity, ignorance, bad-faith, racists, misogynist, etc?

It is only unhealthy if the other perspectives are in good faith and held by civilized sane people.

Right now there are not enough good faith civilized sane people spread around in enough U.S. states to overcome anti-democratic features of the U.S. Constitution and many state constitutions.

The U.S. Supreme Court has been subverted, the U.S. Senate is teetering on the edge (see what happens this Nov.).
Whew, sorry you feel that way. It comes off like, "if you're not with us, you're against us". And that's kinda closed-minded. We've all been wrong many times in life, and with a closed loop, not allowing for that possibility, is unhealthy and is what has caused a lot of our division. My personal opinion is that I see good arguments that get taken out of context by people on each end of the outer edges. And that, somewhere in a constantly moving middle, isn't a bad place to be.
A friend once told me something about a contract negotiation with one of the unions in Hollywood. He said, "after a good/fairly drawn up contract, neither side is happy". Both sides had to give in. Like you said, political fortunes swing back and forth, and it doesn't help when either side takes advantage, and doesn't try to work with the other, or listen to their perspective.
Sponsored