Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, 2017 Chevrolet Volt,
Occupation
Retired Web Programmer
Country flag
I read that the Tesla Semi will have the equivalent of five battery packs that can be charged simultaneously by connecting to five power sources. What is the possibility of having two charging ports per vehicle,, one on either side and two onboard chargers? Under normal charging the entire pack would be charged just as it is now. The second charger would be activated only when there are two supercharger connections available (separate not shared units) and the second charging port door is open on the vehicle. Internally a switch would separate the battery pack into two packs. Is this possible? Is it cost prohibitive? Could it be an option at purchase?
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I read that the Tesla Semi will have the equivalent of five battery packs that can be charged simultaneously by connecting to five power sources. What is the possibility of having two charging ports per vehicle,, one on either side and two onboard chargers? Under normal charging the entire pack would be charged just as it is now. The second charger would be activated only when there are two supercharger connections available (separate not shared units) and the second charging port door is open on the vehicle. Internally a switch would separate the battery pack into two packs. Is this possible? Is it cost prohibitive? Could it be an option at purchase?
Interesting.

First problem though is that I know of several superchargers around here where the cable won’t be able to reach the CT prototype charging port when parking as intended, let alone two cables.

OP
OP
mlhartley

mlhartley

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, 2017 Chevrolet Volt,
Occupation
Retired Web Programmer
Country flag
Interesting.

First problem though is that I know of several superchargers around here where the cable won’t be able to reach the CT prototype charging port when parking as intended, let alone two cables.
On the Out of Spec Motoring YouTube Channel, I've seen an extension cable in use.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I've asked this on Twitter many times, though I'm a small fry still no response. I've asked specifically for the Tri as it *may* have two packs. Thus it would make sense. Cables are plenty long enough for my application as I only park backwards.... Marks it for an easier get away ;-)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I think it is a likely case Tri-motor will have that option. I would like to see it on the other two as well. When towing heavy loads, CT will have to have more frequent stops and especially if you have something large behind you, other folks will want you out of supercharging station as soon as possible. If there are two charging ports in front of CT to connect to two circuits, it will definitely make it a more practical choice as a truck. Of course the looks you will be getting wouldn’t be that of admiration.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I've asked this on Twitter many times, though I'm a small fry still no response. I've asked specifically for the Tri as it *may* have two packs. Thus it would make sense. Cables are plenty long enough for my application as I only park backwards.... Marks it for an easier get away ;-)
I don’t know if it’s a Norwegian phenomenon but two superchargers close to me are reverse-to (backwards parking) but there are curb stones which you have to park a cm from and still pull on the cable to get it straight into the charge port.

Newer ones are made to be “drive-through” on the side though.

Considering the “double battery” mentioned above dual charging seems to be a clear possibility for the trimotor.
Sponsored

Last edited: