Cybertruck needs to have vehicle to home charging (V2H)

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
We saw on the prototype that it will have an area in the bed for hooking up things to the air compressor and to a 120/240v inverter. If they use the built in charger in reverse that could provide up to 11.5kW of power, enough to drive a generator panel at least and way more than a fridge and furnace and wifi needs. Plenty of back power in case of an outage.

If you want something like Ford has where the home has a way to pull directly from the battery it will be VERY expensive, make the truck unusable as a vehicle while powering the house, and mean the feature won't be with you on the road so you can't power your RV or Worksite from it. Perhaps it will have 120/240v outlets AND access to V2x, but it would be the first Tesla to offer that, so I don't know that I would say TESLA NEEDS TO have it

Perhaps every Tesla made so far is only one software update away from supporting V2x, so it could be we just need a protocol that can be supported by all EVs

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
We saw on the prototype that it will have an area in the bed for hooking up things to the air compressor and to a 120/240v inverter. If they use the built in charger in reverse that could provide up to 11.5kW of power, enough to drive a generator panel at least and way more than a fridge and furnace and wifi needs. Plenty of back power in case of an outage.

If you want something like Ford has where the home has a way to pull directly from the battery it will be VERY expensive, make the truck unusable as a vehicle while powering the house, and mean the feature won't be with you on the road so you can't power your RV or Worksite from it. Perhaps it will have 120/240v outlets AND access to V2x, but it would be the first Tesla to offer that, so I don't know that I would say TESLA NEEDS TO have it

Perhaps every Tesla made so far is only one software update away from supporting V2x, so it could be we just need a protocol that can be supported by all EVs
IIRC the specs for the new wall chargers have the capability to reverse flow into the house.. SOOO assuming you have a solar wall hooked up to your distribution center and a newer wall charger.. and they build the options into the app for the solar wall/tesla .. you SHOULD eventually be able to power the house via solar wall from the tesla.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
Please be specific with your words "Wall Charger"? "Solar Wall"? "Distribution Center"?

I can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to say.

Perhaps you mean "Wall Connector" & "PowerWall", only the specs for the new Wall Connector do NOT specify that they can reverse flow into the house, so again, no idea.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Any such feature would require special hardware and installation on your house side, similar or the same to what you would need for a Powerwall/solar implementation.

I understand the appeal of having a backup power solution, but vehicle to home charging is more complex then the vehicle simply supporting it. In my opinion, this sort of feature is far from a "need" simply because it will be only used by a very small percentage of owners. If such a system would increase the cost to manufacture the truck in a meaningful way I would prefer it not be a standard feature as very few owners would make use of it.

I think on the Ford, you need to spend roughly 10+k for equipment and installation to get Vehicle to Home setup in your home.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's a need because it will balance the grid in the future, and has the ability to replace 99.99% of generator usage.

And I don't know about you, but when I'm driving my car I don't need as much backup power at my house.

Like, not running the TV or the heat while I'm not there, certainly not using the oven or lights... and my refrigerator and network run 24 hours on my 3kWh LFP pack. Plenty of time to use the vehicle as a vehicle.

-Crissa

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
Can Tesla implement a V2x solution? Sure, they've proven they have the engineering know-how. Is it practical and/or cost effective? That remains to be seen.

Just as an example, here is one safety feature that would be needed for a genuine hard-wired V2x solution to be approved for installation (there are other requirements, of course)...

There would need to be a way to disconnect the utility to house connection so that in case of a utility outage, the vehicle will only feed the house main or backup panel and not back feed the grid and cause a safety issue for utility workers that are troubleshooting the grid. With the way that many homes are wired currently, that is not a trivial requirement to implement...

Since I can count the outages that I've experienced at my home on one hand over 10+ years, I would much rather have the ability of pulling 40 amps from a 240v connection in the bed of the truck. I would be able to do that at home if there's ever an outage and manually connect what I need to be backed up via extension cords, or I can do it away from home and power jobsite tools, etc. That is a much easier solution to build into the truck and wouldn't require all of the utility interconnection stuff...

I guess we'll see which direction Tesla goes...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There would need to be a way to disconnect the utility to house connection so that in case of a utility outage,
You need that for any backup system, vehicle or no. It comes on every UPS and backup power brick, it's not like a complex part.

And sure, you have reliable power. But most rural buyers don't. Texans don't. Californians don't. People in hurricane and bomb-cyclone areas don't. People in wildfire regions don't. You know, places where it's handy to have a truck.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Since I can count the outages that I've experienced at my home on one hand over 10+ years,
Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Even without growth or change to renewables, grid keeps getting older and many/most utilities have not kept up with maintenance.

Climate change will cause change in usage pattern while also cause more stress on grid equipment (power plants, lines, transformers, etc). Even without incidents like floods, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc, just the extra heat in weather means many types of equipment must be run at lower % of rated capacity.

In the future there may be more interruptions in coal or natural gas supply chains.
Remember in Texas cold snap a couple years ago it was the fossil fuel thermal plants and nuclear plant that did not deliver the expected capacity.

There is chance you will have more frequent outages & longer outages in the future than you had in the past.

There are many reasons to suspect the grid will be become less and less stable for a period of times until the transition of the grid to mostly renewables & batteries is complete (see presentations by Tony Seba).

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
And sure, you have reliable power. But most rural buyers don't. Texans don't. Californians don't. People in hurricane and bomb-cyclone areas don't. People in wildfire regions don't.
We don’t (currently) have battery backup or solar. We have no disconnect (shy of the main breaker) . We are in California, and in the past 6 years we have lived in this house, I can count our power outages on two fingers. And if you only count outages that last more than 5 minutes (the time it would take me to run out and plug in the vehicle), you can count those on the thumbs of your left hand and still have thumbs left over. (e.g. None) So I’d say some of us here in California DO have reliable power. In fact, I’ve lived in CA my entire life to date. I don’t recall a single time that MY house has suffered a power failure for more than an hour or so.

Go easy on us out here.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We don’t (currently) have battery backup or solar. We have no disconnect (shy of the main breaker) . We are in California, and in the past 6 years we have lived in this house, I can count our power outages on two fingers. And if you only count outages that last more than 5 minutes (the time it would take me to run out and plug in the vehicle), you can count those on the thumbs of your left hand and still have thumbs left over. (e.g. None) So I’d say some of us here in California DO have reliable power. In fact, I’ve lived in CA my entire life to date. I don’t recall a single time that MY house has suffered a power failure for more than an hour or so.

Go easy on us out here.
Well, we do have more reliable areas, true.

But the point stands that an automated feature could be used to stabilize the grid, wither by displacing household use or by actually feeding to the grid itself in peak need.

I really want this feature. I spent more days without power this last year, than the past ten. and in the middle of the worst cold we've had in decades. Tromping out into the snow to start the generator was not how I envisioned my winter vacation.

And that's counting the weeks we were out do to red flag weather since 2020.

-Crissa

CyberJagg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Chevy Express
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
You need that for any backup system, vehicle or no. It comes on every UPS and backup power brick, it's not like a complex part.

And sure, you have reliable power. But most rural buyers don't. Texans don't. Californians don't. People in hurricane and bomb-cyclone areas don't. People in wildfire regions don't. You know, places where it's handy to have a truck.

-Crissa
Here’s an automatic transfer switch.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck needs to have vehicle to home charging (V2H) IMG_9251
Sponsored