First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
SOURCE Sawyer Merritt on twitter:

The Cybertruck has been delayed to late 2022. "Production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023". This is per a company wide conference call with employees.

[Admin addendum: Elon did add this about the Cybertruck: "It will be a special project. Like a glitch in the Matrix. Like if Neo had a car."]

So there you have it folks. Volume production will begin in 2023. If you are 100,000 and above for your place in line, start thinking 2024, or later, the further down the list your spot is. :cry::cry:
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
Was watching it live, I know its a bummer but I've been prepared for it personally. I don't know about others, while bummed I'm stilled not depressed just because I was expecting a cumulative delay of around this time. If it goes considerably beyond this, that would then surprise me.

We are all in different boats, I'm fine with the delay because I currently drive a truck that has years of life left in it. But I can imagine for people who are buying their first truck or are on their last leg of their current vehicle this is a real bummer.

In the long term, this wait will be forgotten soon after we each take delivery. But that's just my opinion. Who knows

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Was watching it live, I know its a bummer but I've been prepared for it personally. I don't know about others, while bummed I'm stilled not depressed just because I was expecting a cumulative delay of around this time. If it goes considerably beyond this, that would then surprise me.

We are all in different boats, I'm fine with the delay because I currently drive a truck that has years of life left in it. But I can imagine for people who are buying their first truck or are on their last leg of their current vehicle this is a real bummer.

In the long term, this wait will be forgotten soon after we each take delivery. But that's just my opinion. Who knows
In 2019 when Elon announced the Cybertruck, he hinted December 2020 as the date for the start of production. Now it really looks like the average buyer will have to wait until 2024. (Assuming no more delays) 2024 is a long ways away.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
In 2019 when Elon announced the Cybertruck, he hinted December 2020 as the date for the start of production. Now it really looks like the average buyer will have to wait until 2024. (Assuming no more delays) 2024 is a long ways away.
I mean this in all honesty, did he hint at late 2020 for early production? I don't remember that.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Just gives me more time to save up that down payment and maybe buy some more Tesla stock.
I just hope the Nissan van can hang in there until they build mine. I average 20k miles a year and keep it maintained so there is hope.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Drives me crazy when people keep saying it's delayed "Again".

It was originally due out the end of this year. They quietly changed the production start date until "2022". It was never "Q1 2022" or "1st Half 2022", it was just 2022. The date hasn't been moved a dozen times or even twice, it's been changed once. They just left it up to speculation when it was going to hit.

If this is true, it's not exactly surprising. Since they changed the date they've dropped a few hints that it will be towards the end of the year. I'm definitely bummed but not surprised. When they changed the date to the very vague "2022" I'd already braced myself for this.

Maybe if they've finally settled on a date that means they know what they need to do to work around the issues around the 4680?

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Still kind of hoping that it means I can get it before harvest of next year. I'm about 2600 for the dual motor trim, but they'll probably prioritize the tri motor trims. So much for tbeing able to exploit the truck shortage.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I, for my part, am driving a tired f150 with deep rust issues and over 250,00 miles. I don't know what to do now. I'm bummed. Not slit-your-wrists bummed, just bummed. Elooon!

Migizi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
prius XL
Country flag
Anticipating delays, I purchased a Model Y to tide me over until my Cybertruck would be ready.
SO GLAD I did.

I'm enjoying the Model Y :cool:- but unfortunate so is my wife :sneaky:

I'll be trading her in when the Cybertruck is ready [ the model y, not the wife :rolleyes: ]

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
the problem here is that Rivian is almost ready and GM and Ford will be before Tesla. people in need of a truck and still puzzled about CT's appearance will go for another brand at this point. this is no good news for us Tesla shareholders. As a future CT owner, however, I am ok with any delay that makes CT better.
Sponsored