Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Niche==cult?
tl:dr
JEEP rescued Stellantis in Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge sedan market collapse. RAM was a distant third rate truck whose 1st rate engineering enabled Stellantis to bridge the workhorse platform to SUV market with new fit and trim attention and quality improvement - now a #1 rated truck. At the end of the day there is something there connecting with buyers in both instances Jeep and Rivian.

It teaches niches can grow, bridge and platform onto category killer status. Stellantis makes prescient plays, timely EOL’s and shuffling its deck still for future of BEV. Its latest luxury Peugeot sedan strident design queues translate into EV seamlessly, albeit conventional chassis. Stellantis is a classic darkhorse in this automotive reshuffle that could accelerate out of rescued auto mfgr niche into EV player worldwide.

Rivian innovation and ability to walk before it talks speaks to people’s sense of “ShowMe”, as Tesla has so effectively done. Where Stellantis is a nimble adversity at-scale player Internationally, Rivian‘s scrappy upstart success fielding working functional prototype vehicles needs Sales to lift it to scale hurdles Tesla famously described as “production hell”. Pullout modular stowage units while hugely innovative and brand discriminator isn’t secret sauce wheel motors might prove to be. A technology like “axial flux” motors could significantly change Rivian’s calculus against unitary drivetrain EV design, i.e. Tesla, FORD. Rivian is definitely a watchlist mfgr. Failing that its cults and niches.
yes my point being if it is like a Jeep niche it will eat into the SUV market much more so than the truck market.... especially as the EV Wrangler is taking as long as the E150 to move past CGI existence.
Sponsored

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I don't care for any other trucks brand, I will wait for my CT. The long I wait, the more money I save to pay for it. Waiting for my dream truck is no big deal even though I want it yesterday. Why does it matter which truck comes out first. I will have mine in the end.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Very very Sadness!!
Hindsight reveals the Musk genius.

His apocalypse vehicle, impulse to act AND insight to lock-up all the future he could for Tesla gave Elon more than a conviction. The $100,000,000USD treasure chest enabled Elon to set the direction to a Tesla autonomous and robotics future.

Just WOW

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
il faut savoir attendre. plus on attend, plus on peut avoir des améliorations de "derniÚre minutes".
A mon avis cela ne pourra qu'ĂȘtre profitable pour nous !
It'll DEFINITELY turn heads driving around Paris! And you don't have to worry about people opening their doors into your Cybertruck and leaving dents in yours. ;-) TRES bien!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian‘s scrappy upstart success fielding working functional prototype vehicles needs Sales to lift it to scale hurdles Tesla famously described as “production hell”.
Has it?

How many trucks has Rivian manufactured to date?

Rivian has certainly gotten to market on time, but they haven't gotten one truck out the door, let alone the 10s of thousands of Model 3s Tesla was struggling to get out the door at the time of "Production Hell".

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One question
..where are any of these companies building manufacturing plants at the scale and speed of Tesla Giga plants that will allow them to complete ?
It is going to be very interesting watching the other auto companies trying to catch up to Tesla in terms of scale at this point.

By the time Giga Berlin and Tera Tesla are fully online, Tesla will be cranking out 2-3 million vehicles a year. 5,000+ Cybertrucks per *week*. Ford is planning less than 1,000 F150 Lightnings per week in 2023 and less than 375/ week in 2022.

Last edited:

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Has it?

How many trucks has Rivian manufactured to date?

Rivian has certainly gotten to market on time, but they haven't gotten one truck out the door, let alone the 10s of thousands of Model 3s Tesla was struggling to get out the door at the time of "Production Hell".
Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 1631046351814

i’ve gotten to see the Rivian a few times when I was in Santa Cruz and also Scotts Valley. In Santa Cruz it was pretty cool cause I went to my favorite ice cream shop and there it was in the parking lot and everyone was kind of looking at it and I was watching it from a far trying to read everybody’s faces. It’s plates were out of state. my wife and I were wondering if it was just out in Santa Cruz and that area for marketing purposes? i’m gonna be very honest when I saw it, I actually thought it looked worse in person than it does in the photos. Like huh? No way! I’m so happy I picked a Cybertruck?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I've said it several times in these forums. Tesla has yet to meet a target release date. Everyone was like "oh the Ct will be different"

nope.
The Model Y was on time.

Not that that changes the fact that the Cybertruck is not.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Though since the Model Y, the Model S Plaid was moved back a few times, and the Model X Plaid is still in delay mode. Clearly we're back in Musk time.
Sponsored