RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Despite all the noise, I still believe that the title of this thread is correct and we will see significant Cybertruck production in 2023. I really like the Rivian design and available features and even the Ford Lightning is a nice enough pickup, but I will wait for the crazy looking, hard to build, segment disrupting and truly brilliant Cybertruck.

As a retired person it is mostly about the charging infrastructure because I will be using this vehicle as my daily driver and, as my road trip transportation choice. Charging at home is essential and makes any EV workable with certain limitations. No one ... I repeat no one is serious about a dedicated charging network except Tesla. I have used the Supercharger network extensively and it works beautifully for virtually any road trip. That fact makes the Cybertruck the only viable truck style EV for now and the foreseeable ... IMHO
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Despite all the noise, I still believe that the title of this thread is correct and we will see significant Cybertruck production in 2023. I really like the Rivian design and available features and even the Ford Lightning is a nice enough pickup, but I will wait for the crazy looking, hard to build, segment disrupting and truly brilliant Cybertruck.

As a retired person it is mostly about the charging infrastructure because I will be using this vehicle as my daily driver and, as my road trip transportation choice. Charging at home is essential and makes any EV workable with certain limitations. No one ... I repeat no one is serious about a dedicated charging network except Tesla. I have used the Supercharger network extensively and it works beautifully for for virtually any road trip. That fact makes the Cybertruck the only viable truck style EV for now and the foreseeable ... IMHO
I’m sure we’ll see some production in 2023. How much remains to be seen.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I predict the continued shortage of computer chips and brand new assembly techniques/tooling are going to hamper volume production. Manufacturing a monocoque exoskeleton made from 3mm thick stainless steel has never been attempted before.

The Cybertruck is going to be stuffed with new technology according to the CEO. I predict volume production, 250k per year, won't kick in until 2024-2025 at the earliest.

I highly recommend reading Power Play by Tim Higgins. It gives a behind the scenes look at how difficult it is to manufacture a brand new vehicle and details all of the stumbles within Tesla. For example, the book talks about how Tesla crammed hundreds of Model 3 assembly robots inside the Fremont factory and even installed hundreds of them upside down. Crazy!

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck, the apocalypse sled, must be pinnacle independence by design brief from technological architecture to its ground up-blank slate build. Otherwise, its just another OEM car like every other make or model.

How did we get to chips up our seat cushion? It’s at the point a car can’t even be used much less sold without. I’d be looking to a chip shortage to get chips out of this OEM detrimental reliance on silicon. WTF is a chip doing under your ass performing heat treatment? Seriously, its a bi-pole switch. Get over computer ad infinitum; its Iridium fallacy in play.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Cybertruck, the apocalypse sled, must be pinnacle independence by design brief from technological architecture to its ground up-blank slate build. Otherwise, its just another OEM car like every other make or model.

How did we get to chips up our seat cushion? It’s at the point a car can’t even be used much less sold without. I’d be looking to a chip shortage to get chips out of this OEM detrimental reliance on silicon. WTF is a chip doing under your ass performing heat treatment? Seriously, its a bi-pole switch. Get over computer ad infinitum; its Iridium fallacy in play.
Huh?

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag

As a retired person it is mostly about the charging infrastructure because I will be using this vehicle as my daily driver and, as my road trip transportation choice. Charging at home is essential and makes any EV workable with certain limitations. No one ... I repeat no one is serious about a dedicated charging network except Tesla. I have used the Supercharger network extensively and it works beautifully for virtually any road trip. That fact makes the Cybertruck the only viable truck style EV for now and the foreseeable ... IMHO
I think Tesla owners who haven't used other charging infrastructure often don't appreciate how significant the improvements have been in the other charging networks. I have a Tesla and non-Tesla. While Superchargers are still better I take the Tesla on a road trip first because it is more comfortable than the Bolt but not because of charging infrastructure. Tesla's advantage is ease of much more than distribution of chargers. EA covers the interstates and actually has some location advantages over Tesla on the Oregon Coast, at least driving the route I need to drive. The gap is not really that big and as EA begins to get plug and charge for some cars, the gap will begin to close.

That being said, I know in some parts of the country Tesla has a huge advantage in terms of locations as well. I've seen enough people road trip with non-Teslas to know that much of the country it isn't the problem it used to be.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… actually has some location advantages over Tesla on the Oregon Coast, at least driving the route I need to drive. …
Can confirm Supercharger support or Oregon Coast is not great.

That said, we are able to use L2 chargers to fill in much like you can in the Bolt. It’s what we‘re doing this weekend and have done in the past.

Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 1645644136059

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yep! There are just enough superchargers on the coast to drive up 101. Eureka, Bandon, Crescent City, Seaside. There are a bunch more at places to stay and eat. Just pick places for meals/events/sleeping that have a place to plug in, and you'll never even think about range anxiety.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yep! There are just enough superchargers on the coast to drive up 101. Eureka, Bandon, Crescent City, Seaside. There are a bunch more at places to stay and eat. Just pick places for meals/events/sleeping that have a place to plug in, and you'll never even think about range anxiety.

-Crissa
My problem is I don’t usually go up and down the coast, we usually pop in from the east out to the coast and the cities where we hit the coastline don’t have chargers. Staying in Yachats and it’s 40+ miles north to Lincoln City or 100+ miles south to Bandon and nothing between. There is are at least a couple EA chargers between.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My problem is I don’t usually go up and down the coast, we usually pop in from the east out to the coast and the cities where we hit the coastline don’t have chargers. Staying in Yachats and it’s 40+ miles north to Lincoln City or 100+ miles south to Bandon and nothing between. There is are at least a couple EA chargers between.
There's chargers in Eugene and Riddle. It's just your fault for coming through Elkton/Reedsport and threading the needle.

It's not like there aren't plenty of places to charge in Yachats with a destination charger. Plug it in when you have dinner or shopping. I love the little deli-cafe there.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There's chargers in Eugene and Riddle. It's just your fault for coming through Elkton/Reedsport and threading the needle.

It's not like there aren't plenty of places to charge in Yachats with a destination charger. Plug it in when you have dinner or shopping. I love the little deli-cafe there.

-Crissa
. I left Eugene with a full charge. Not sure why I would go through Reedsport.

We are going to hit the L2 at city hall. But that means parking the car for 3-4 hours to get it juiced up. Destination chargers are neat when they are where you happen to be but a bit of a headache otherwise.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
. I left Eugene with a full charge. Not sure why I would go through Reedsport.

We are going to hit the L2 at city hall. But that means parking the car for 3-4 hours to get it juiced up. Destination chargers are neat when they are where you happen to be but a bit of a headache otherwise.
I guessed you lived nearer to Medford from your quips? Hmm. ^-^ Full up from Eugene and you should be able to get there and back twice!

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guessed you lived nearer to Medford from your quips? Hmm. ^-^ Full up from Eugene and you should be able to get there and back twice!

-Crissa
Started with 80% not 100% oops my bad. Add 2 bikes to the back and get to the hotel with 100 miles range left. Overnight, freezing temps, quick run to fish and chips… down to 75 miles range. Run into town at lunch to top off at the charging station at City Hall… the J1772 charger isn’t working, battery down to 68 miles.

No problem, I’ll run up to Waldport and hit the free L2 there and sip coffee for a couple hours.

It’s broken too. 50 miles. Range and ~15 miles from the hotel.

Florence is now 35 miles south Lincoln City is 30 miles north but further from the hotel…. Fuck.

So now I’m 45 miles from the hotel. About an hour drive.

Oregon can really use a reliable Tesla charger in either Newport or Florence… a bunch.

Now… would be good
Sponsored