Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Then you're not using the Boston Dynamics' motion!

Right now is an interesting time, because new technology is dipping into availability and cheapness while established makers have kept prices high because some insurance will pay it.

The new styles of walkers and supports coming out, keeping or allowing people more vertical, as well as going out where the terrain is more rough... it'll be pretty exciting.

We have a family friend who's been in a chair since he was little, and he always had ultra-light ones he used in endurance competition. After seeing those, I have constantly wondered at why for the last decade chairs remained so expensive (and poorly designed) when their parts weren't actually so expensive.

Hopefully that'll change.

-Crissa
Unfortunately I don't see prices changing downward in any way. You are correct, when devices are labeled a medical need, and are paid for by insurance and other sources. The manufacturers will take advantage of that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
The "skateboard" idea was more to accommodate an optional offroad/urban crawl capability rather than to use it to slide battery capacity in an out of a vehicle.
Ok. Describe how you envisioned that please.
Was it slotting into the battery/floor as I described previously, just not sharing capacity?
Or something else I'm not visualising?

Because the way Cybertruck appears now, I don't actually see any way to get a wheelchair/optional offroad/urban crawl vehicle inside the cab. Driver position, or otherwise. The traditional way of lowering the floor for clearance is probably out of the question on CT.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Ok. Describe how you envisioned that please.
Was it slotting into the battery/floor as I described previously, just not sharing capacity?
Or something else I'm not visualising?

Because the way Cybertruck appears now, I don't actually see any way to get a wheelchair/optional offroad/urban crawl vehicle inside the cab. Driver position, or otherwise. The traditional way of lowering the floor for clearance is probably out of the question on CT.
I have a 23 yr old daughter in a wheelchair, and what I've been hoping for, is to use the tailgate ramp to access the bed of the truck. Then, a mid-gate could give you access to the rear passenger area.

OP
OP

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
I have a 23 yr old daughter in a wheelchair, and what I've been hoping for, is to use the tailgate ramp to access the bed of the truck. Then, a mid-gate could give you access to the rear passenger area.
I've been hoping for the same kind of access. Fingers and toes crossed for mid-gate. Its absence would be mid-gate-gate.

Lets hope they submit the future Cybervan design to community input as they did with Cybertruck. The delays have provided ample opportunity to incorporate user desired functionality.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I've been hoping for the same kind of access. Fingers and toes crossed for mid-gate. Its absence would be mid-gate-gate.

Lets hope they submit the future Cybervan design to community input as they did with Cybertruck. The delays have provided ample opportunity to incorporate user desired functionality.
Cvan is the true form factor able to accommodate special needs. Cybertruck is so performative to be anachronistic to the special constructions. I’ve cut into the exoskeleton, built-on top, underneath and stuck things where they should go and exoskeleton teaches at every turn that Tesla have designed Cybertruck to the minimum.

Anything other than bolt-on, you are not dealing with Cybertruck but some other vehicle. I have hope that the rocker-to-B-pillar transition box is still available and pray exoskeleton above wheel wells remains open. Everything else on Cybertruck is Einstein minimalist.

Having owned a Eurovan, anything less is compromise.
Sponsored