Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Will the CyberTruck have some UV-reflective layer roof/back glass? (The orangey-red color comes from a layer within the glass panels of the Model 3 which is designed to reflect certain wavelengths of light, including UV and others, and reflect the sun’s heat away from the interior.)

Tesla Cybertruck UV-reflective layer glass orange
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The transmissons of all glasses, except special ones, fall off pretty fast below, say 360 nm, The big pieces of overhead glass need to be tinted to some extent to prevent the cars from turning into little greenhouses. The glass in my X appears to be tinted neutral from inside. I never looked from outside. If it reflects orangy red light that means orangy red light isn;t getting in.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Never needed to tint mine and I live in mostly sunny-all-the-time Vegas.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Will the CyberTruck have some UV-reflective layer roof/back glass? (The orangey-red color comes from a layer within the glass panels of the Model 3 which is designed to reflect certain wavelengths of light, including UV and others, and reflect the sun’s heat away from the interior.)

orange.png
The newer glass on the model 3 is not as pretty when it is wet, it doesn't have that nice red color any more.

My Model 3 glass looked like the picture above. But, my back piece had an internal crack a year into ownership and was replaced under warranty last year. That piece is not as pretty when it is wet, it doesn't have the red shimmer. My understanding was that only the earlier versions of the model 3 (first year of production roughly) have that distinct red color. The newer glass doesn't have it.

But, it seems to work as well if not better for keeping the cabin cool, so whatever UV-reflecting layers they use seem to work reasonably well.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
they (Tesla) have been doin the full roof glass thing for a while now. I have faith it will be kosher
?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Glass doesn't pass UV and it doesn't pass infrared. What heats the cabin is visible light coming in, striking the seats, dash, floor, console.... and warming them which reradiate the heat as long wave radiation. Thus special glass that rejects UV and or IR isn't necessary. What is necessary is rejection of visible light. This is done by tinting the glass and Tesla tints the glass. To me it looks pretty neutral.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Glass doesn't pass UV and it doesn't pass infrared. What heats the cabin is visible light coming in, striking the seats, dash, floor, console.... and warming them which reradiate the heat as long wave radiation. Thus special glass that rejects UV and or IR isn't necessary. What is necessary is rejection of visible light. This is done by tinting the glass and Tesla tints the glass. To me it looks pretty neutral.
Not all automative glass blocks UV. It is typically only the windshield that provides the most UV protection:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-door-windows-dont-stop-uv-rays-idUSKCN0Y32WI

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/not-all-car-windows-protect-against-uv-rays/

https://uvaction.com/blogs/sun-protective-clothing/can-you-get-sunburned-through-a-car-window

I developed a patch of mild skin damage/ sensitivity to UV to the left side of my face by driving. Now I need to avoid exposing that area to the sun otherwise it flares up.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Take a piece of glass - any glass, put it in a UV spec and get back to us.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Take a piece of glass - any glass, put it in a UV spec and get back to us.
I hope you didn't mean to take such a condescending tone. Dr. Brian Wachler already conducted a study of automotive glass using a UV-A meter in the following article:

https://uvaction.com/blogs/sun-protective-clothing/can-you-get-sunburned-through-a-car-window

This article and the above 2 articles suggest that you can't just take any piece of glass. There are differences in levels of UV protection among the windshield and other automotive window glass which was my point.

Here's an additional medical left side cancer study:
https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(09)01501-1/fulltext

I've driven in Florida for 15 years, and my experience refutes your claim.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, but what do your spectrophotometer data show?

I've driven in Florida for 15 years, and my experience refutes your claim.
The experience of some layman who got sunburn refutes may claim which is based on measuring the absorption spectra of glass and plastic?

Last edited: