zerox

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 MY (FSD) & 23 Maverick XL & Tesla Solar
Country flag
I think Cyber Trucks will be offered in two rooftop variations. Solid metal and Glass rooftop.
A glass rooftop could be cool. But when it gets super hot, I have experienced intense inside Model X and other cars with large glass rooftops.
What will you guys choose?

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 10.41.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 10.46.22 AM.png
I would not hesitate if they give the option as of with ventilated seats for Y & 3. South Florida heat is unbearable My Maverick cabin is extremally cooler then our Model Y. Glass can supposedly block 99% of UV light but remember the UV light transform into heat onto the glass as infrared heat. Any day in summer you could easily feel the burn if you dare to touch the glass in the middle of the day.

Everybody else on different parts of the world I understand but in Florida it gets super hot and that infrared radiation you totally feel it on your head.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would not hesitate if they give the option as of with ventilated seats for Y & 3. South Florida heat is unbearable My Maverick cabin is extremally cooler then our Model Y. Glass can supposedly block 99% of UV light but remember the UV light transform into heat onto the glass as infrared heat. Any day in summer you could easily feel the burn if you dare to touch the glass in the middle of the day.

Everybody else on different parts of the world I understand but in Florida it gets super hot and that infrared radiation you totally feel it on your head.
You know that metal does the same thing, right?

And you can solve it by adding insulation? So... Add insulation.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

-Crissa
That's my thoughts on this whole deal. Aftermarket, aftermarket, aftermarket.

When Tesla produces these beasts in massive numbers. Aftermarket businesses will take your money, to solve any issues you have.

zerox

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 MY (FSD) & 23 Maverick XL & Tesla Solar
Country flag

-Crissa
Obviously you have not try it in Florida. We have the flimsy stuff aftermarket POS one below our glass on the Model Y, again nothing compares to the automaker's insulation (embedded into the roof like on our Maverick). Theory dictates you need insulation but you need distance, like when they insulate your roof, you know right? It's standard practice for the fluffy stuff not to be a film but about 16" it's the standard here to get some tangible R value. So please don't tell me some 1/16" reflective stuff it is going to do the same job as about 1" of insulation material specially designed for it that they install in regular car roofs. Indeed, have you try it? Theory is beautiful but you have to try it. It does not work. Experience people. You need to experience it. Next time you come to Florida Turo one and try it. We talk after that.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Obviously you have not try it in Florida. We have the flimsy stuff aftermarket POS one below our glass on the Model Y, again nothing compares to the automaker's insulation (embedded into the roof like on our Maverick). Theory dictates you need insulation but you need distance, like when they insulate your roof, you know right? It's standard practice for the fluffy stuff not to be a film but about 16" it's the standard here to get some tangible R value. So please don't tell me some 1/16" reflective stuff it is going to do the same job as about 1" of insulation material specially designed for it that they install in regular car roofs. Indeed, have you try it? Theory is beautiful but you have to try it. It does not work. Experience people. You need to experience it. Next time you come to Florida Turo one and try it. We talk after that.
Please don't confuse insulation with IR filters, two completely different things. Most aircraft windscreens are coated with a pretty heavy duty IR filter. If you think Florida is special when it comes to sunlight, move it 51,000ft closer to the sun.

And just for the record, I've rented 3's and Y's in Florida, Texas, Nevada, SoCal, and Hawaii. I have been amazed that I've never felt heat from the sun. (not like I do on our BMW)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You also need to learn how to read before you post more of your rubbish.
like that any good tint (and many other manufacturers) has IR ā€˜coatingsā€™

Maverick but pickups are known to be big hot houses due to the fact that manufacturers do not coat all that cab glass with infra-red reflecting coatingsā€¦
That his 1990ā€™s F-150 isnā€™t a good comparisonā€¦

Our F-150 is a living hell should you park it in the direct sun, much hotter than our Model 3's with their specialized glass coatings.
That many non-European, non-ā€˜higher endā€™ cars have IR blocking (eg the Mach E, for one)

What makes Teslas and some higher end European cars different, is they add special coatings that block almost all infra-red light.
And that he regularly misstates the basic physics of thermo and hot cars (you covered that one)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
And much cooler sub-zero ambient temperatures at altitude. Although it's less dense as well because of that, the convection of heat is still better, but there is also heat from skin friction to consider at those speeds. So the heat balance is quite different to a slow highway speed vehicle. Lots of factors at play.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
And much cooler sub-zero ambient temperatures at altitude. Although it's less dense as well because of that, the convection of heat is still better, but there is also heat from skin friction to consider at those speeds. So the heat balance is quite different to a slow highway speed vehicle. Lots of factors at play.
Yep, all true. However, I'm not talking ambient heat. I'm talking about feeling heat from direct sunlight. We don't feel "the warmth of the sun" at altitude. And we don't have 85-90% of the atmosphere filtering the energy. Additionally, the filter keeps the cockpit from getting to extremes on the ground, in the summer, in Phoenix, Miami. Vegas, Atlanta, Houston, El Paso, Cairo, wherever.

IR energy that passes through the glass will strike a non-transparent object and that object absorbs the heat. But if you can stop the IR before it enters the cabin, then you prevent the warming.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
It's not a mounting problem, it's a radio frequency propagation problem. The antenna works better with a metal plate underneath it. Look up Rf groundplane.
Listening in l can imagine a 'CT Convoy'
'Cause we got a mighty convoy'
'Rockin' through the night'
'Yeah we got a mighty convoy'
'Ain't she a beautiful sight'
( C W McCall - Convoy )
Breaker Breaker

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag

-Crissa
I can see 'Clouds' through the CYBRTRK Armour-glass. They look just like 'Sheep'
Should make for good 'insulation'
Ewe know what l mean.......(!)

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You made me laugh. Criticism is motivation for improvement. I have more invested in TSLA stock than in cars but I consider my insight very important. You can ask Alex at Tesla Fort Myers about me as I've been there multiple times, picking up the 2022 Model Y and fixing amount of problems with the 2020 Model Y (FSD), driven Model 3's, X's and S's while fixing stuff on the 2020 MY. I do not see why the need to call me a liar when I'm just putting my opinion and experience out there. As a first impression as a new user on this forum I have to say you are not welcoming at all. Forums used to be more friendly. I'm an adult, I do not really have much time for this. Sorry but it is true. I hope you guys would understand and not try to fanatically hate any uncomfortable opinion out there. I take it as information which Tesla uses a lot as we all know.

Oh just to clarify, here I found how to add an image from my security camera, sorry about the resolution I try to include T logo and Maverick has the plastic on the bed so it should be enough for any untrusty mind out there to believe.

Tesla & Maverick.png
Thanks for posting the picture, and apologies for not believing that you actually owned a Model Y. Please note that I make a real distinction between not believing someone simply because they made a claim without any supporting evidence, and actually calling them a liar (I didn't know whether you were telling the truth or not). The reason I didn't automatically believe you was because I had no evidence that what you claimed was true, no post history, nothing, and I've seen a lot of people claim to be owners when it was later shown to be an empty claim. So don't take it personally. I figured if you were an owner, you would provide some kind of evidence.

I've posted a number of times on the three forms of heat, and, yes, radiant heat is radiated from the glass, even with the best coatings. I wonder if some of the newer models have coatings that are not as effective as those Tesla used in 2018 Model 3's? Because I'm 6'04" and the roof is a lot closer to my head than in a Model Y and, even in 110-degree desert heat I do not feel it through my baseball cap. And the interior of our Model 3's, parked in the sun, are all noticeably cooler than our F-150 (without any glass on the roof). The IR rejecting coatings on our Model 3's are on the exterior side of the roof glass, you can see it when it rains as the roofs turn a yellow-orangish color. It works really well!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Glass Roof only, Tesla will never make a metal roof.
I've owned a Model3 for 5 years and the heat does not enter from the glass roof, as it blocks 99% of UV. The heat comes in from the other windows.
+1. We have 2 Teslas, an M3 and an MY and they heat up on hot days but not from the overhead glass. That said, I suspect that Tesla keeps working on their glass all the time (like they do everything else) and that the overhead glass in the Cybertruck will likely be better than even in the Model Y. I cannot say much about a 5 year old Model 3, but I think that the glass in my 2022 Model Y is better than our 2019 Model 3.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I can definitely see the logic, especially for work trucks, of having a non-glass roof. There was a time when someone here (sorry bud, I forgot who) was adamant that the roof (and doors) should be removable. There is obviously logic for that too. And then there are all the other uses of Cybertrucks for which a glass roof might not make sense: police, fire, EMS, military, etc. I expect that there will be an aftermarket way to replace the rear glass, but I find it hard to believe that Tesla will offer a non-glass option on the stock Cybertruck. I have 3 reasons:

1. Tesla never said anything about this as an option and they mentioned several options during the unveiling.
2. Tesla is not big on options. They have a limited number of trims and an even more limited set of options. They 'learned their lesson' with options on the Model S.
3. I suspect that the Tesla mantra of simplicity in manufacturing would apply here. Let the aftermarket suppliers do this and let Tesla focus on manufacturing efficiency.

That is all I can think of in my stream-of-consciousness way of thinking. I am sure there are other good arguments both for and against.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Come to Florida now? Nope. I have been there though, and I have driven there, and my takeaway was that it is a very humid ('and' hot) place during certain times of the year. That said, we have no influence on Tesla here. We are just future Cybertruck owners like yourself. Generally speaking, if someone has a problem with the published specs (few) and features they go with one of the traditional OEMs and their trucks. I bet that the Silverado will be a great truck, and the Rivians are great. And there will be more and more truck options (and SUV options) going forward. Each person has their requirements and makes choices based on them. It is unlikely that wishing for a non-glass roof will make it appear.
Sponsored