Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Not having ever owned a car with a full glass roof, what’s that like? Does your head get hot? Do feature in the car get hotter due to sun exposure? Anyone know the coatings Tesla typically uses on their roof glass. Low E, Solar ban etc.?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not having ever owned a car with a full glass roof, what’s that like?
Well... I personally don't have one, but my mom and a couple friends do.

Does your head get hot?

No. The glass coatings reduce the IR by significant amount.

Do feature in the car get hotter due to sun exposure?

Yes, but not noticeably. The coatings reflect more IR than. black-painted car would, but more gets in than an opaque roof would. It's actually pretty insulated compared to metal, too, but less than, say, an insulated panel. Steel actually lets through alot of heat, along with its thermal mass, and there's not alot of space for insulation in the ceiling of a vehicle cab.

Anyone know the coatings Tesla typically uses on their roof glass. Low E, Solar ban etc.?

That I don't know. Tesla uses pretty advanced glass.

-Crissa

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Not having ever owned a car with a full glass roof, what’s that like? Does your head get hot? Do feature in the car get hotter due to sun exposure? Anyone know the coatings Tesla typically uses on their roof glass. Low E, Solar ban etc.?
We own a model 3 with a glass roof. If I don't look up, I forget it is glass. The cabin is very comfortable and the light is not actually significant. I do enjoy looking through the roof. But, it isn't an issue in the winter nor in the summer. The cabin can get hot inside, but it really isn't any different than any of the cars that I have had that have solid roofs. Lastly, Tesla doesn't let the cabin or the car get hot. The heat pump/ air conditioning will maintain the cabin and battery temperature automatically. I can control the temperature level, but there is a maximum that the car will allow.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
We own a model 3 with a glass roof. If I don't look up, I forget it is glass. The cabin is very comfortable and the light is not actually significant. I do enjoy looking through the roof. But, it isn't an issue in the winter nor in the summer. The cabin can get hot inside, but it really isn't any different than any of the cars that I have had that have solid roofs. Lastly, Tesla doesn't let the cabin or the car get hot. The heat pump/ air conditioning will maintain the cabin and battery temperature automatically. I can control the temperature level, but there is a maximum that the car will allow.
Agree with the above. One simply does not realize the roof is glass. Quite possibly it could be argued this is superior to something like an F150 with a "moon roof".

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I get much hotter from the windshield.

Back passengers love it.

Some companies make automatic shades that look built into the headliner and provide a clean way to shut it if you're not into it.

Might take a while to come out for CT
Sponsored