Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
...cut our water heating requirements.
I also use a GFX device to pre-heat the incoming cold water from the warmer outgoing drain water. It works pretty good for showers. Not so good for doing dishes. And no help for baths, but then I don't have a bath tub. (Local hot springs help out too at times. Everybody's situation is different.) Putting in GFX requires planning ahead of building or re-plumbing. It must be mounted vertically, so you need a drop in your drain pipe to make it work. Works because the drain water tends to wick to the sides of the pipe, rather than fall thru it's center.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I also use a GFX device to pre-heat the incoming cold water from the warmer outgoing drain water. It works pretty good for showers. Not so good for doing dishes. And no help for baths, but then I don't have a bath tub. (Local hot springs help out too at times. Everybody's situation is different.) Putting in GFX requires planning ahead of building or re-plumbing. It must be mounted vertically, so you need a drop in your drain pipe to make it work. Works because the drain water tends to wick to the sides of the pipe, rather than fall thru it's center.
I’d originally planned to recapture grey water and preheat the incoming cold water from the drains, but I was doing my own plumbing on this house and just ran out of time. Turns out when you do your own construction that happens a lot.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Also check out a sliding lockout bar, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/generator-lockout-kit/s?k=generator+lockout+kit which is simpler than a transfer switch box I think, or perhaps it's the same thing you were referring to.
Very different. A transfer switch looks like this:
Tesla Cybertruck V2G IMG_1718

The utility connects to, say, the upper-most set of lugs and the emergency source to the lower-most. Depending on the position of the handle either the upper set or lower set of contacts is closed allowing power flow to the panel through the center lugs (joined by the black vertical wires). Mechanical interlocks prevent both sets being closed at the same time and thus insure that the emergency source can not be connected to the mains.

mitch9

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Enphase is supporting V2H and V2G. They are using their microinverters to convert the DC from the battery to AC, and visa-vera (in their specialized EV charger). They have a gateway that isolates the power grid from the house, and integrates solar, generator, the grid, and their DC EV charger.. They also have their own batteries as well that can be added, but they are fairly pricey. We need Tesla to support the new UL standard for V2G/V2H, they say they are working with EV manufacturers, here is their link

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

Mitch
Sponsored