Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
For Tesla owners, the problem is very real. It’s called “ICE-ing,” which involves parking in front of a Supercharger station to block electric vehicles from being able to recharge.

As for why truck owners want to protest clean energy, that that remains unclear. But they do seem to take a great deal of pleasure in ICE-ing Tesla owners out of their required fuel source. The act is such a problem it’s actually been banned in nine states — Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Washington — and several other US cities.

A YouTuber familiar with the ICE-ing trend, decided to see what would happen if he took matters into his own hands. So he hooked up a tow strap to his Tesla Model X — a car that once pulled a semi up a snowy hill in one viral video — and attempted to pull the 5,104 pound Chevrolet Silverado 1500 out of the way. This, of course, wasn’t an actual instance of ICE-ing, as he’d borrowed the truck from his sister for the experiment. Before starting, they’d engaged the emergency brake on the Silverado to simulate the experience of pulling a parked vehicle.

Unsurprisingly, the Model X was able to pull the truck out of the way with relative ease.

Towing an ICE vehicle out of the way

Tow 1.png
Tow 2.png
Tow 3.png
Tow 4.png
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Are superchargers unattended? Parking an ICE in a supercharge space is trespassing. Have it towed.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Some Super Chargers have lounges and attendants. Some are at Tesla Service centers. Some are at WaWas or CheckRites or Royal Farms... Many are in the parking lots of freeway reststops or shopping malls. I would not consider most of them "attended".

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most are not attended.

Yes, it is trespassing, and towing is allowed.

In some states, it's also an infraction, requiring a fine and/or impounding the vehicle.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Ii am sure you all saw the Teslarati posting about the truck pulling a trailer that ICEd 7 supercharger stalls. Several people talked about putting cameras on superchargers or calling the police, but I suspect that the police are more sympathetic to the ICErs than to the EVers. Since they were pulling a classic Mustang, I figure the quick solution was to slash 2 of the trailer tires. Yes, that makes the stalls unusable for longer but what is important is that it leaves the trailer stranded for an indefinite amount of time and that is how you strike back in a manner they won't soon forget. And in that time you can anonymously notify the authorities about the infraction. No, I am not sympathetic to this kind of behavior.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ii am sure you all saw the Teslarati posting about the truck pulling a trailer that ICEd 7 supercharger stalls. Several people talked about putting cameras on superchargers or calling the police, but I suspect that the police are more sympathetic to the ICErs than to the EVers. Since they were pulling a classic Mustang, I figure the quick solution was to slash 2 of the trailer tires. Yes, that makes the stalls unusable for longer but what is important is that it leaves the trailer stranded for an indefinite amount of time and that is how you strike back in a manner they won't soon forget. And in that time you can anonymously notify the authorities about the infraction. No, I am not sympathetic to this kind of behavior.
Slashing tires!!!
Sounds like a way for you to get yourself jailed or killed by the ICEr's buddies in the police force.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Slashing tires!!!
Sounds like a way for you to get yourself jailed or killed by the ICEr's buddies in the police force.
It would have worked in that one situation because the supercharger is off the highway and they had gone for burgers. A quick slash of the inflators and drive off with no witnesses. Seconds. You could take out one of the truck tires if worried about pursuit.

Anyway, this is just a fantasy. I am too much of a wimp to do anything like this, or anything else. I am the guy that writes to senators, governors, presidents and makes suggestions for how to fix big problems, and I whine a lot like this. Its sad, really.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Follow Eddie Murphy’s advice, keep bananas handy.

I do not condone any such action, watch Beverly Hills Cop, and am appalled if you consider doing so.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The image of the truck blocking 7 stalls looked to me like a guy parking his truck/ trailer in the only empty place available to park a big ass truck/ trailer. Seems like people with trucks and trailers often feel they have the right to park wherever the hell they want because there is often nowhere for them to park.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The image of the truck blocking 7 stalls looked to me like a guy parking his truck/ trailer in the only empty place available to park a big ass truck/ trailer. Seems like people with trucks and trailers often feel they have the right to park wherever the hell they want because there is often nowhere for them to park.

I bet you the police would pull up right quick if you parked at a gas pump and blocked it to charge your EV using the electric outlet there.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Anytime there is change that some people can't or won't adapt to there will be tools that do things to start something.
The Pilot truckstop near me has a supercharge area.
They placed it close to the Wendy's in the store so the terminally lazy and stupid regularly park in the charger spots to avoid walking 50 or 60 feet from the regular parking area.
I have a set of J hooks (used by wreckers to attach to the suspension of a disabled vehicle to pull it onto a rollback with a winch) that I will carry in my CT.
Since the CT will be 4WD and prob weigh six grand it should have no issue removing a vehicle blocking a charge.
If the owner wants to get ignorant about it we can do that dance too.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I feel like this is rare enough that it gets people's attention. Even when I drive past the chargers in central California, which is where things like this are most likely to happen, I only see open spots.

I look forward to using them in the near future.
Sponsored