A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, I think we'll see more and more of this. Unsurprisingly enough there is an association of convenience store operators and they are aware that there is as much potential to mine custom from BEV drivers as from ICE drivers. These people do not make their money from the sales of gas. They make it from the goodies you buy in the shop adjacent to the pumps. As it takes longer to charge a BEV than to fuel an ICE machine currently this means more opportunities for them and they know it. WaWa is now installing Tesla super chargers at some of their locations, Electrify America has many at Walmarts etc. An enterprising fellow in Takoma Park, MD took out his gas pumps and installed charging stations.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I’ve given AJ credit in the past as well, he does help.
We probably should be cautious, he might get the big head. ( wink wink)

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Most Nissan Dealers and Charge Point have ChaDemo chargers. They are not as fast as a SC. It's faster than a 220. I have charged S, X, and 3 at Nissan and ChargePoint

Adapter.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Primer on electric vehicle charging. How long does it really take? IMG_9348
Tesla Cybertruck Video: Primer on electric vehicle charging. How long does it really take? IMG_7588

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Don't know what to say about about getting one of these. CHAdeMO is clearly dying out but CHAdeMO chargers are going to be around for a while. The new EA stations typically have 5 or 6 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. Hence I guess I would advise those waiting for a CT to hold on to see if a CCS to Tesla adapter compatible with the North American production cars becomes available (they exist in Europe), If it does, get one of those,

I don't really think a CHAdeMO adapter is that useful in the US. There are so many SC terminals that you probably will seldom if ever use a CHAdeMO but there may be times when one is handy or even a life saver. I have used one once in the US,

Now Canada is a different matter. The SC network doesn't cover the whole country but in those places where it doesn't reach there seems to be a 50 kW charger with one CCS and one CHAdeMO in every medium sized town. If you drive around those parts of Canada I'd say a CHAdeMO adapter is indispensable.

Looking over my DC charging records I find that 28% of it was done at CHAdeMO stations at an average rate of 36.6 kW. The remaining 72 was done at Super Chargers at an average rate of 72.9 kW i.e. twice as fast. Yet the average charge time at a SC was 28 minutes while the average time at a CHAdeMO station was only 11 minutes longer. Note that fast DC charging was only 16.5% of my total charging.

Other drivers in other places with other missions may have appreciably different experience and opinions.

[Edit] Another interesting aspect of CHAdeMO in Quebec is that the charging network, Circuit Electrique, is owned by Quebec Hydro so clearly they get a good rate on the electricity they buy. The result is that a kWh from Circuit Electrique costs less than one from Tesla (unless, of course, you have free charging).

Last edited: