TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I think you overestimate your energy use, and electricity is easier to come by than gasoline... But there's no argument there aren't use cases for being able to carry more energy.

There are alot of bad arguments, tho.

-Crissa
I’ve shared before a personal anecdote of my wife’s model 3 losing 70% of its range on the worst day of the year here. That’s rare, but it does happen. For me I want one of my vehicles to be able to handle the worst case scenario without worry so I can get rid of gas. If I lived in a warmer climate a M3 standard range would be enough, as we have no issues in summer.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’ve shared before a personal anecdote of my wife’s model 3 losing 70% of its range on the worst day of the year here. That’s rare, but it does happen. For me I want one of my vehicles to be able to handle the worst case scenario without worry so I can get rid of gas. If I lived in a warmer climate a M3 standard range would be enough, as we have no issues in summer.
Yeah, but I could give the worst case of an ICE vehicle doing the same, sitting on a snowy hill, waiting for our turn for the chain-up area, burning gasoline without going anywhere.

Or having to burn range while warming up while your Y does it from shore power.

Your Model Y would be a champ there, barely wasting any range while I'm still burning miles of range out the tailpipe.

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I think you overestimate your energy use, and electricity is easier to come by than gasoline... But there's no argument there aren't use cases for being able to carry more energy.

There are alot of bad arguments, tho.

-Crissa
I broke it down in detail in the past. It's not an estimate. I know how far I drive to hunt and I know I fill up my 500+ mile gasoline tank while I'm there. I also know the closet SC is either about 90 minutes behind me or 60 minutes further up the road where I turn off.

I understand this is my use case. I also understand my use case and the reason so many of us want a 500+ mile range truck is not because we are over estimating our energy use.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I broke it down in detail in the past. It's not an estimate. I know how far I drive to hunt and I know I fill up my 500+ mile gasoline tank while I'm there. I also know the closet SC is either about 90 minutes behind me or 60 minutes further up the road where I turn off.

I understand this is my use case. I also understand my use case and the reason so many of us want a 500+ mile range truck is not because we are over estimating our energy use.
And we argued about it and I think you overestimated your energy use, because how wasteful idling engines are. Not to mention having a cabin which could supply power.

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And we argued about it and I think you overestimated your energy use, because how wasteful idling engines are. Not to mention having a cabin which could supply power.

-Crissa
You've never discussed idling directly with me, so your confusing our conversation with someone else. I don't spent much time idling. I don't hunt from or sit in the truck to keep warm. I start it about 10 minutes before I leave in the morning. Also, as I did mention, I'm not always at the cabin, and when I am, there is no access to a 240v. Best case would be a standard outlet and a 100' ext cord. Which is possible probably 4 or 5 days, so that's a fair point. How many miles could I get out of a 120v outlet after 10 hrs of charging?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You've never discussed idling directly with me, so your confusing our conversation with someone else. I don't spent much time idling. I don't hunt from or sit in the truck to keep warm. I start it about 10 minutes before I leave in the morning. Also, as I did mention, I'm not always at the cabin, and when I am, there is no access to a 240v. Best case would be a standard outlet and a 100' ext cord. Which is possible probably 4 or 5 days, so that's a fair point. How many miles could I get out of a 120v outlet after 10 hrs of charging?
I didn't. But there you go, you could get enough power to defrost your window from frozen solid eleven times over from one night's plug in. How much range you use would depend on what you're doing. If we take the assumption of 400 watts per mile, that's about 45 miles in a night. Dirt miles are usually less strenuous than highway ones, slow and steady wins the race against aerodynamic pressure, but sometimes scrabbling is energy intensive.

Your current truck probably uses about 1/10th of a gallon sitting at idle for ten minutes. Does it defrost from power it pulled from the wall?

-Crissa

...can you not modify the cabin to have better charging?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I didn't. But there you go, you could get enough power to defrost your window from frozen solid eleven times over from one night's plug in. How much range you use would depend on what you're doing. If we take the assumption of 400 watts per mile, that's about 45 miles in a night. Dirt miles are usually less strenuous than highway ones, slow and steady wins the race against aerodynamic pressure, but sometimes scrabbling is energy intensive.

Your current truck probably uses about 1/10th of a gallon sitting at idle for ten minutes. Does it defrost from power it pulled from the wall?

-Crissa

...can you not modify the cabin to have better charging?
Not my cabin so I can't modify it.
My truck avg is right at 15 MPGs day to day. It averages more like 9 when I'm hunting. It's lots of slick roads with mix of mud, snow, ice and ruts Chains are not always used but they are put on every year at some point.

I want to clarify what I think your saying. I use 1/10 gal x 7 days idling. So 7/10 gallon total = about 12 miles lost idling.

If I could charge at the cabin you believe with a 120v outlet I could get back roughly 45 miles per night.

Is that what you're saying?

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My truck avg is right at 15 MPGs day to day. It averages more like 9 when I'm hunting. It's lots of slick roads with mix of mud, snow, ice and ruts Chains are not always used but they are put on every year at some point.

I want to clarify what I think your saying. I use 1/10 gal x 7 days idling. So 7/10 gallon total = about 12 miles lost idling.

If I could charge at the cabin you believe with a 120v outlet I could get back roughly 45 miles per night.

Without knowing the battery size and range of the Cybertruck, this is just a rough guess, but you would probably get 2 to 4 miles of range per hour of charging on a 120v outlet.

I have done it on my Model 3 on road trips to rental houses, and it has worked ok. Obviously not as fast as 240v, but its not nothing if you can have it plugged in overnight. It might be enough range to get you to nearby super chargers at least depending on the length of your stay.

That said, its all about individual use cases, and an EV is not always going to be a great fit for everyone if they regularly travel to areas without good reliable charging infrastructure.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Yeah, that sounds about right. But that's a gallon you wouldn't have to bring since you could get it from the wall many times over.

That's some shameful amount of fuel consumption. I've only ever had that bad with full chains and snow.

...And if it's not your cabin and it can't be altered, well, there are people with cabins willing to make EV-ready.

-Crissa

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag

We typically do an annual vacation with our 2018 Model 3 and while there we only charge off a standard three prong outlet in the garage. We consistently get a whisker under a 5 mph charge rate. So IF the charging rates were identical, I would think you'd also get 48-49 miles of charging in 10 hours. We do not know the recharge rates on the CT. I doubt it will do worse. Any chance the CT will trickle charge better than the M3?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's some shameful amount of fuel consumption. I've only ever had that bad with full chains and snow.
Which part? The 15 or the 9? Tis life with a full size truck and 35" tires....and I still get over 500 miles per fill up. And those fill ups take 3-10 minutes. Pros and cons to both sides still. But still leaning E for my next truck.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We typically do an annual vacation with our 2018 Model 3 and while there we only charge off a standard three prong outlet in the garage. We consistently get a whisker under a 5 mph charge rate. So IF the charging rates were identical, I would think you'd also get 48-49 miles of charging in 10 hours. We do not know the recharge rates on the CT. I doubt it will do worse. Any chance the CT will trickle charge better than the M3?
It will likely get as much energy as the Model 3 (I am also a 2018 Model 3 owner), but because it is a bigger and less efficient vehicle, if you translate that to miles it is less miles per hour. We don't know the efficiency, but I would assume between 2 to 4 miles per hour, probably around 3 if I was to guess.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which part? The 15 or the 9? Tis life with a full size truck and 35" tires....and I still get over 500 miles per fill up. And those fill ups take 3-10 minutes. Pros and cons to both sides still. But still leaning E for my next truck.
...And yet you're ignoring just how many gallons you have to carry extra that you wouldn't have to with an EV.

That's the problem. You think you need that range, when in actuality, you don't. You waste so much energy that's right there.

Over a week, 40 miles a night is half that tank of gas.

-Crissa
Sponsored