Virtual Tesla trip planning idea

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I've only been in a Tesla once but was amazed at the ease of planning a trip. All i had to do was tell it to drive to NY and within seconds it's displaying my route across the country with all of the places I need to charge. This is amazing!!! My Soul ev has nothing like it. It takes the worry out of knowing what destinations are possible and which are not.

I would love it if Tesla had a way to do this virtually online. Pick your car, pick your tires, solar/no solar roof, trailer/no trailer and it would show your the plan. Maybe even a Compare button. It wouldn't be that hard, the cars already do it.

This would help me know which model of CT I need to live the life i want to in it.
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I've only been in a Tesla once but was amazed at the ease of planning a trip. All i had to do was tell it to drive to NY and within seconds it's displaying my route across the country with all of the places I need to charge. This is amazing!!! My Soul ev has nothing like it. It takes the worry out of knowing what destinations are possible and which are not.

I would love it if Tesla had a way to do this virtually online. Pick your car, pick your tires, solar/no solar roof, trailer/no trailer and it would show your the plan. Maybe even a Compare button. It wouldn't be that hard, the cars already do it.

This would help me know which model of CT I need to live the life i want to in it.

"ABRP" is a A Better Routeplanner and it has the CT in it's listing. It really is a better routeplanner.

While I agree that the Tesla supercharger planner is nice, the maps can be stupid (see below). Also, power consumption appears to be estimated based on normal usage. YMMV (pun intended).

Here's a couple of examples of dumb maps:

Tesla Cybertruck Virtual Tesla trip planning idea PXL_20201210_205013861.MP

The above picture wanted me to go into the delivery entrance of Home Depot and suggested that I change two lanes at the intersection to pull a U-turn all because it can't see the main entrance.

Tesla Cybertruck Virtual Tesla trip planning idea PXL_20201113_194638763

This one decided the shortest route was a Pike's Peak hill climb of stop signs and switchbacks when there is a major thru road to the south. I took the route and all the annoying chatter about turning just to see and it was worse than it looks. I suspect this was because the map was old as the thru road has been active for several months.

OP
OP

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
"ABRP" is a A Better Routeplanner and it has the CT in it's listing. It really is a better routeplanner.

While I agree that the Tesla supercharger planner is nice, the maps can be stupid (see below). Also, power consumption appears to be estimated based on normal usage. YMMV (pun intended).

Here's a couple of examples of dumb maps:

PXL_20201210_205013861.MP.jpg

The above picture wanted me to go into the delivery entrance of Home Depot and suggested that I change two lanes at the intersection to pull a U-turn all because it can't see the main entrance.

PXL_20201113_194638763.jpg

This one decided the shortest route was a Pike's Peak hill climb of stop signs and switchbacks when there is a major thru road to the south. I took the route and all the annoying chatter about turning just to see and it was worse than it looks. I suspect this was because the map was old as the thru road has been active for several months.
Thanks, i will have to play with that!

OP
OP

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
Kind of interesting. A 1,700 mile trip with a single, double and tri motor takes 15 stops, 15 stops, 7 stops. It's alpha on the range but the extra range from single motor to dual gets you nothing on this trip.

A 2900 mile trip across country showed a difference from single to dual. 27 stops single, 22 dual, 13 tri. So i guess it depends on what chargers are available on the route.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
Stops isn't a measure of how long it takes, though.

-Crissa
True, I assume the total charging time would be the same for all versions. However i'd rather stop for 60 minutes and have a meal than twice for 30 mintues.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
True, I assume the total charging time would be the same for all versions. However i'd rather stop for 60 minutes and have a meal than twice for 30 mintues.
Well, if the EVSE supply rates are the same. There are times one car could pass by a less-good charger.

I don't know if I'd rather stop once or twice... Depends on what I'm driving and what the stops are like. On a motorcycle, I want lots of small stops. In a Cybertruck? Probably want fewer, longer stops.

But longer stops start incurring tapering, too.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
Well, if the EVSE supply rates are the same. There are times one car could pass by a less-good charger.

I don't know if I'd rather stop once or twice... Depends on what I'm driving and what the stops are like. On a motorcycle, I want lots of small stops. In a Cybertruck? Probably want fewer, longer stops.

But longer stops start incurring tapering, too.

-Crissa
I should mention it took me some time to fully read and understand what "a better route planner" was telling me. Model type can make no difference all the way to a huge difference. It depends on where you are driving and what is available. For instance, from my house to Reno was almost 1:30 difference from 2motor to 3m. 24 min extra charging and 49 min extra travel time as one part had 2m at a limited speed.

My house to San Antonio was much more dramatic. with 4.5 hours of travel time saved from single to triple motor.

Things to consider.... does adding solar change things? Fast charging rates matter on long trips. Just compare the kia niro to the 1m CT. They have roughly the same range but kia's charge slower and the a trip across the country took 6 hours longer in the kia.

So in summary, it depends on where you live, where you are going, what type of trips you make and of course personal preference. I ordered a 2m but i might upgrade. Just a matter of justifying it to myself.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Solar would lower the usage of power per hour, but over a day, not usually enough to change the massive amount of power you're pulling while driving.

The biggest problem is that Superchargers are not on every route, in every combination of hops, either.

Still, the bigger the battery, the longer you spend charging. At this very moment, the larger battery makes a difference... But it's one small moment in history when there are enough chargers that range makes a difference. In two years? It won't, really.

-Crissa
Sponsored