Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
So I have to wonder, does the CT get a boost in range?
IMO, I would think the CT would hit the original posted ranges provided by Tesla and not much more. My thoughts are that this new battery tech has been in the works for awhile now and that the pricing and specs was based on this battery tech being in production at CT release time. I know we all wish that all of a sudden our CT's are going to have 50% more range but I personal believe that is just wishful thinking. The CT at original pricing and specs is already at a competitive advantage.

What I would like to know is the correlation of the Plaid S 3x motors and the CT. A lot of old estimates of 800HP for the CT, could those HP #'s now be > 1100HP if the same 3x motor configuration is being used in the Tri-CT?

Come to think of it, with more battery reserves in the CTx3 can the motors be pushed harder like they did for some of the Model S's via OTA updates? Could we perhaps see ~1250hp or more? =)
Sponsored

Last edited:

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Question: $25,000 or $27,494 in three years for the affordable FSD car? Average inflation is 3.22%.
Just wondering...:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@Crissa
You are rigth, but if a (cyber)truck has been licensed in one EU Part, like more than a few million Full size trucks, e.g. F250- RAM etc.. roaming the streets here today, you can drive them throught out the rest of Europe.
That is called "Freedom of Movement for peopel and goods".
That doesn't apply to using vehicles. You still have to follow local laws which vary widths, axle weight, and emissions. Some towns are ban engine braking, others are baning ICE altogether. Most ban trucks of different sizes and configurations.

The licensing is a minimum standard, not a maximum.

The old cell design will be continued (in Freemont, China) for a while to fullfill the contracts with the supplyers.
China uses a different battery pack than the Fremont built cars, and they don't export the Chinese-built cars yet.

As far as we know, they are not, have no plans to export the Model Y to Europe. They're waiting for the factory.

That's why you can't get one now. So it's not an Osborne moment, exactly.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
My simpleton take-aways.
1) Elon is still a horrible presenter. So bad it's almost comical and entertaining in it's own way.
2) The new battery tech; chemistry changes, efficiently changes, affordability changes, tabless design, structural, etc is all awesome!
3) Agree 100% and love that keeps emphasizing that the machines building the machines are the real ingenuity and infinitely more difficult to perfect then building the vehicles.
4) Massive emphasis on recycling batteries to the point that most future battery materials will come from recycling, opposed to mining.

Things I wish would have been discussed.
1) Are they still on schedule for 3rd Qtr 2021 production of the CT? I have a bet worth literally singles of dollars on the line regarding production timeline!!
2) Eliminate our speculation on the "+" associated with CT ranges and new battery tech vs whether those ranges already had the new tech baked in. I personally still believe the advertised ranges are what is going to be delivered plus a vry minimal more specific amount. Meaning I don't think the production vehicle is going advertise a "+", it will just be 520 miles or whatever for the specific model.
3) How have they been testing the CT? On-road, off-road, towing, heat, cold, etc. He previously mentioned entering Baja...did they? The 500 already started and the 1000 is coming up.
4) Any design changes at all regarding the CT. I've seen comments on here and in other threads expecting a climate controlled bed area. It didn't hear that at all...other then that they said they would look into it. I have zero expectation of this happening, but it would be a nice bonus.
5) Movement on getting side view mirrorless design approved/laws changed, etc.
6) I've seen several comments hoping for a display behind the steering wheel. I wish this was addressed. I might get used it, but it doesn't mean I would prefer the solo center console display.
7) Any future FSD price bumps coming? Somewhat non-relevant to me, but curious.

Waresdom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevy Silverado
Country flag
My 2c from battery day:

1) I feel the stock market has no clue what kind of battery technology Tesla has come up with. I feel like it's a great time to buy.
2) The reveal of Plaid is cool and all but a majority of people can't afford it. They have 600k+ of CT orders. Why not give some info on the status of it. I couldn't believe there wasn't a question about where it was at. There was so many lame questions. The one question Elon did get about it was climate controls in the vault and he acted like he never heard of it. Are they even working on it! LOL
3) V2G - Not happening. I thought the guys from Now You Know were going to start crying when they said this wasn't in the plans. Then they try to talk themselves into it, like it will still happen.
4) Was it me or did it sound like a plea for help at the end for them looking for better engineers? Just got a weird vibe about that.

In the end I thought it was very informative and I definitely love the direction they are going. I sure hope this new tech is going to be in the CT. I can't imagine it not being, especially with Plaid coming out at the end of 2021 and I'm guessing with the new tech.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
IMO, I would think the CT would hit the original posted ranges provided by Tesla and not much more. My thoughts are that this new battery tech has been in the works for awhile now and that the pricing and specs was based on this battery tech being in production at CT release time. I know we all wish that all of a sudden our CT's are going to have 50% more range but I personal believe that is just wishful thinking. The CT at original pricing and specs is already at a competitive advantage.

What I would like to know is the correlation of the Plaid S 3x motors and the CT. A lot of old estimates of 800HP for the CT, could those HP #'s now be > 1100HP if the same 3x motor configuration is being used in the Tri-CT?

Come to think of it, with more battery reserves in the CTx3 can the motors be pushed harder like they did for some of the Model S's via OTA updates? Could we perhaps see ~1250hp or more? =)
I think almost certainly, that the powertrain in the Plaid MS and CT will be pretty much the same. Elon even called it the Plaid CT. A huge, heavy truck going 0-60 in 2.9 would need that kind of power to get there. The MS Performance is about 800hp, so that's the dual motor CT. All of the specs revealed for the CT weren't possible at the time with present tech, it was always planned that this new tech would be what allowed the CT to come in with that performance, range and price.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
4) Was it me or did it sound like a plea for help at the end for them looking for better engineers? Just got a weird vibe about that.
Naw, it was the same thing you heard listening to Google presentations a couple decades ago. It's pretty standard startup language.

4) Any design changes at all regarding the CT. I've seen comments on here and in other threads expecting a climate controlled bed area. It didn't hear that at all...other then that they said they would look into it. I have zero expectation of this happening, but it would be a nice bonus.
Elon said it would be possible as early as last year. It interesting they haven't solidified their body specs like that.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
the climate controlled bed would be super easy, and I didn't find the recruiting thing wierd. It's pretty common that finding good engineers, programmers etc. Of all types is something big game changing companies are always looking for.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
the climate controlled bed would be super easy, and I didn't find the recruiting thing wierd. It's pretty common that finding good engineers, programmers etc. Of all types is something big game changing companies are always looking for.
Yeah... they had me ready to change careers haha/.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Elon said it would be possible as early as last year. It interesting they haven't solidified their body specs like that.

-Crissa
I know he said it would be possible, but to me, that does not imply that they are working on it and will have it ready for production roll out. I don't think this is a priority for them at all and I'd be surprised if the production CT next year has this.

Some of the posts here seem excited to imply that it's happening. I don't know where they get that confidence from.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Hopefully they add a little insulation as well if they do this.

Okanoganjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3 motor
Occupation
Retired, now small business owner
Country flag
The Million Mile Battery was not specifaly mentioned in the presentation, or was it ?? I believe that it was, when Elon talked about making the battery pack a structural part of the vehicle. Something that is not easily removed and replaced. This to me is the Million Mile Battery that lasts the life of the car/truck. Thoughts?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Million Mile Battery was not specifaly mentioned in the presentation...?
It was not.

You should expect it will take time for them to test new chemistry to see if it will be the million-mile battery.

However! At a 500-mile range (the new S) and 2000 cycles (what they expect from their pack) that is a million miles.

So they're probably keeping this for a later announcement.

-Crissa
Sponsored