Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also a CT3 that does 20-80 carries more dead weight than a CT1 that does 20-80, provided battery chemistry remains the same.
A tri-motor double battery still goes twice as far as a single-motor single battery. 60% of 200 (120) is still more than 60% of 100. (60)

And cycles are measured in the thousands. It's not like you're using 100% every day. And if you are, well, you're using 100% every day, you're still getting your money's worth.

-Crissa
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Lots of talk about battery longevity, but nothing about performance. So, to add to the conversation I have a Model 3 Performance and I notice that maximum acceleration is only achieved at over 80% SOC, with 90-100% being very savage indeed. Based on the typical voltage curves for these batteries, I would be surprised it the CT was any different.

That said, I still charge to 80% and rarely drop below 20% unless I am on a long trip, and then only for short periods outside that range.
yeah, m3p here too, I charge to between 80-85% so I get "some" full power most drives...that being said my car sat a lot this winter (I drive my truck in winter) and while I think I need a rebalance to occur, I'm showing 279mi vs new 299mi's eg 7% loss...and I only have < 10k miles....granted it's still pretty cold in CO right now which always shows on low side of mileage

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
A tri-motor double battery still goes twice as far as a single-motor single battery. 60% of 200 (120) is still more than 60% of 100. (60)

And cycles are measured in the thousands. It's not like you're using 100% every day. And if you are, well, you're using 100% every day, you're still getting your money's worth.

-Crissa
Of course. No one would pay more for CT3 if it was not better overall. I simply pointed out one advantage of CT1; 40% of battery you don’t use in CT3 weighs more than 40% of battery you don’t use in CT1 (on most of most people’s trips). So on the same trip, CT1 should be more efficient (I understand CT3 has additional more efficient motors but that adds to weight too). Just trying to help CT1 reservation holders survive the wait.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The following sounds like BS because I've lost the link and can't produce the evidence, but...
I think it was 2016 when I read about an "informal" study done somewhere in Northern Europe.
They ran various charge profiles and temperatures on various battery chemistries.
The one that stood out was nickel-cobalt lithium type cells that were cycled from 40% to 60%. They stopped the test at 30,000 cycles with the cells still at over 90 percent capacity.
Sweet, in the CT DM That would easily give me 60 miles a daily usable range. My current roundtrip commute is only 15 miles :D

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Can any Tesla owners tell me if you can schedule your car to charge to 90% only on Friday night but 70% every other night? And just override the schedule when you need to?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can any Tesla owners tell me if you can schedule your car to charge to 90% only on Friday night but 70% every other night? And just override the schedule when you need to?
Not currently.

You can set a time for it to start charging (say if you want to charge off-peak rates) or

You can set a time point for it to be done charging by, say, if you were going to leave in the morning. It then figures out when to start charging from, and pre-warms the cabin, too. (This reduces sit time at 100% and keeps the battery the right temperature.)

When you set these, it asks how much you want to charge to.

-Crissa

Texas Bart

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012Civic, 2018 Accord Turbo,2023 Civic
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These will be lithium-ion. The closer to 50% you can keep it, the further from 0% and 100%, the better.

Shallow charging and away from uneven heating is best for cycle life.

-Crissa
NOT more than 80% if you want your million mile battery.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOT more than 80% if you want your million mile battery.
Well, we don't know, really. There hasn't been enough testing.

Some indications seem that it's time at the extremes that bothers it, more than just going there at all. Or that it's uncontrolled temperature excursions while there. Most likely, it's a combination of tiny factors.

But you'll never have a million mile battery if you never use it.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
But you'll never have a million mile battery if you never use it.
I haven't even driven that many miles in my lifetime yet. Willing to bet most members of this forum have not either.

at the rate I drive I'll be about 100 years old.. driving the same amount every year until then.. dang.. the pandemic really set me back! I need some long road trips to catch up!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I haven't even driven that many miles in my lifetime yet. Willing to bet most members of this forum have not either.

at the rate I drive I'll be about 100 years old.. driving the same amount every year until then.. dang.. the pandemic really set me back! I need some long road trips to catch up!
Just go pick up your CT and keep on driving till you hit 1 million miles. I'm sure you'll have a ton of adventures doing it. And you will be able to brag that you are the first person to hit 1 million miles in a vehicle.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I feel like I'll be 100 years old by time I get my CT!!!!

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I’m curious about this too. With ICE the general advice was to keep the tank topped up especially if not driving very much. I tend to drive enough though that I just fill up when I get below 1/4 tank and happen to be conveniently near my favorite gas station. Right now though that station is getting upgraded so it is closed. Luckily I’m not driving much because of the pandemic.

Anyway, I’m going to have to learn new patterns with my CT. If we truly get the new batteries discussed at battery day, I’m not too worried about wearing out my battery. But it would be good to at least know what the ideal charging pattern should be.
The reason you keep an ICE gas tank full depends on your location, if you live on planet earth, humidity is in most places in the northern latitudes. If the tank is less than full, the humidity forms condensation at the top of the tank due to gasoline has a cooling effect like a glass full of water and ice on a hot humid day, the water is not soaking to the outside of the glass but all the moisture in the atmosphere we breath. Hence that's why you want to eliminate all that space at the top of your gas tank.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
The reason you keep an ICE gas tank full depends on your location, if you live on planet earth, humidity is in most places in the northern latitudes. If the tank is less than full, the humidity forms condensation at the top of the tank due to gasoline has a cooling effect like a glass full of water and ice on a hot humid day, the water is not soaking to the outside of the glass but all the moisture in the atmosphere we breath. Hence that's why you want to eliminate all that space at the top of your gas tank.
Is this a thing? Granted, I don't live in a humid place, but iv never heard of this being a problem

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is this a thing? Granted, I don't live in a humid place, but iv never heard of this being a problem
It is, but it's rarely a problem in modern cars. The ethanol in modern gas also makes it easier for the water to be ingested by the engine as it settles to the bottom.

-Crissa

Vrakpant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover 109, Ford Transit Custom
Country flag
Confirming this is a thing. Every pre-flight inspection of an aircraft includes a fuel check. drain tank slightly to check for water, sediment and correct fuel grade. The space inside your tank that is not currently occupied by fuel is air. Air has moisture and will condensate (change form from gas to liquid) when cooled. (during the night or in winter). Easiest way to avoid it is to keep tank full.

Musk.Have.Cybertruck.News.Soon.Or.Will.Implode

Cheers.
Sponsored