First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
f290d0db-b2fd-458f-a6b3-8fa859e35ec2-jpeg.jpg

Anybody who has thought about it for 5 seconds KNOWS that these will be destroyed by any curb.

They will be completely destroyed churning in sand or mud.

They will be completely destroyed by rocks when off-roading in the first 5 minutes.

For an "indestructible" truck, obvious weaknesses have got to GO!

Let's see better options from the creative crowd.
How bad do you drive that you curb your tires?

On all the other scenarios you mention you are completely right, but in those scenarios you could simply remove the covers and leave them at home or store them in your frunk and you’ll have the metal wheels underneath that are plenty useful.

Personally I really like the look of the wheel covers shown on the CT prototype and would love to have them come standard like the covers that come standard with the LR M3 and MY. I’ve only once hit a curb with my rear tire and that was when I was still in my teens and was trying to learn how to parallel park. Learned my lesson and learn to use my side mirrors effectively.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
"How bad do you drive that you curb your tires?"
- when my wife drives my truck (her cars a bit smaller than my 2500, and she curbs her car too
- when you cant see the curbs in the snow, granted a bit more padding but still
- when I purposefully go over curbs - sometimes its needed

but like I said above, 99% of the time I won't have the covers on so no harm no foul.....and bet the CT rims cost a lot less than wife's GLE

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
"How bad do you drive that you curb your tires?"
- when my wife drives my truck (her cars a bit smaller than my 2500, and she curbs her car too
- when you cant see the curbs in the snow, granted a bit more padding but still
- when I purposefully go over curbs - sometimes its needed

but like I said above, 99% of the time I won't have the covers on so no harm no foul.....and bet the CT rims cost a lot less than wife's GLE
With low profile tires on a car you aren’t used to it’s fairly easy. I’ve done it twice on my Model Y when it was new.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
How bad do you drive that you curb your tires?

On all the other scenarios you mention you are completely right, but in those scenarios you could simply remove the covers and leave them at home or store them in your frunk and you’ll have the metal wheels underneath that are plenty useful.

Personally I really like the look of the wheel covers shown on the CT prototype and would love to have them come standard like the covers that come standard with the LR M3 and MY. I’ve only once hit a curb with my rear tire and that was when I was still in my teams and was trying to learn how to parallel park. Learned my lesson and learn to use my side mirrors effectively.
He really is driving over curbs. But it’s not bad thing!

Anyone unfamiliar with Goodyear Wrangler AT(all-terrain) tires is in for a revelation. Take a good look at the dominant “castle” engineered sidewalls. Castle’s are designed to grab and lift the tire as humans use toe holds to elevate. Castle’s meet the wheel cover *spokes* to guide and protect alloy wheels from impact, abrasion and dent.

The fun part is that Goodyear rubber compound is really grippy-soft. They bite curbs, rocks and things gently like a LABRADOR Retriever. You won’t and don’t know you’ve bitten a curb until your vehicle is already up and atop. Its so easy and harmless that you stop trying to protect rims and maneuver over curbs as the defacto safest order of all things truck.

Cybertruck owners will get snide bad driving tagged by the unknowledgable or Karens. But wide vehicles get against the curb tightest when they get up against them. No one wants a CT side-swiped. Curbs will be bitten, rolled atop and dropped off onto paving in every effort to leave ass little exposed to traffic possible. It’s the absolute easiest way to keep curb damage off the covers and tire sidewalls.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
It's ballistic kevlar and goes with the bullet proofing the body.

I intend to put holes into them so it can shoot back. :devilish:

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
With low profile tires on a car you aren’t used to it’s fairly easy. I’ve done it twice on my Model Y when it was new.
Trucks definitely help in that regard. My OCD won't allow it on my other vehicles...I have a 20 M3P (and it's also lowered 3/4" additional on coil overs) - has the oem 20's with very minimal sidewall and have to worry about driveway angles, etc too - so I'm very aware / alert, etc...probably a bit of luck as well! I'm more worried about the inevitable pot holes that are going to eat one of my rims, the oem 20's aren't known to be very robust, I assume CT Rim's will be more robust as is fitting of a truck with such capabilities

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cybertruck owners will get snide bad driving tagged by the unknowledgable or Karens. But wide vehicles get against the curb tightest when they get up against them. No one wants a CT side-swiped. Curbs will be bitten, rolled atop and dropped off onto paving in every effort to leave ass little exposed to traffic possible. It’s the absolute easiest way to keep curb damage off the covers and tire sidewalls.
Bad driving is bad driving. I don’t care if you crawl up on a curb, but I see sloppy truck drivers parked with 1 tire in planters all the time and it’s just bad driving. Similarly truck drivers who park their truck with a tire 10 inches into the next stall.

One of the downsides to owning a big truck is your parking is more limited and you need to be more careful.