Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have no idea how any of this works, but didn't you just basically say...

I can't use this money you gave me for the taco I promised you, but here have a half uncooked tortilla. Ok NOW I can.

So they can get at the money np, and have a free loan.
Well, they can only take the cost of the tortilla, but not the full price of the taco. So the rest sits in the bank and the SEC eyes it suspiciously so they don't treat it like a piggybank.

-Crissa
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla’s famous build a machine to build machines mantra presages cheaper BEV. EV’s sweetspot is south of its current pricing. Majority of car owners can’t afford to buy $40k USD cars, cheaper TCO be damned. This Golden EV Age will sunset as vanilla EV cars priced in the $22—32k range blossom in a hunt for the bottom market.
The average cost to buy a new vehicle in the USA rose above $40,000 starting late last year and continuing into 2021. And most of those were ICE vehicles with their higher TCO. Apparently, enough people can afford $40K+ for a new vehicle to cause the average to rise above that price.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The average cost to buy a new vehicle in the USA rose above $40,000 starting late last year and continuing into 2021. And most of those were ICE vehicles with their higher TCO. Apparently, enough people can afford $40K+ for a new vehicle to cause the average to rise above that price.
No, it means the average purchase price was over $40,000. Whether they can afford the vehicle is way different.

30 years ago the average car loan was 36 months. Today it is 60 months, but more are opting for 72-80 month loans. They cannot afford the vehicle, they are getting loan payments they can afford. Big difference. Most of the time they owe more money than the vehicle is worth.

Now think what are the top 3 best selling vehicles in America. They are trucks and the luxury and cost of those trucks is growing more and more. No surprise to me the average purchase prices is now over $40,000.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it means the average purchase price was over $40,000. Whether they can afford the vehicle is way different.
Haha! I was going to add that disclaimer but didn't because I thought it was obvious.

So, in this case, "afford" means "able and willing to buy". Whether it's "affordable" in the sense you are interpreting it is up to your personal definition of "affordable".

But in the context of the discussion, I would say "able and willing to buy" is the applicable definition. And that is the definition measured by the average selling price statistic.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Good point! True. BUT. What is good for the top 6% and bankers is not good for humanity. Using just traditional car metrics is too narrow sightglass to see future.

Millennials are the generation to determine the next legacy, Gen-X notwithstanding(Thx Elon&Jeff). So little is known about Millennial values and how they might steward the planet. But unlike post WWII BabyBoomer’s, Millennials have yet to achieve touchstones of influence - wealth, power and voice.

Even $30k USD cars exceed their earnings, employment stability and savings to afford today’s avg. cars. Few have entered homeownership and it looks out of reach given current US housing nationwide.

Globalisation has been an exercise in lifting all nations out of poverty. This leveling of the postwar field of play resulted in lowering labor costs, out sourcing and tilting wealth toward the 1%. Currently, upper 6% easily afford the avg. US auto. Banks own the remainder. What an uneasy future citizenry that fortells.

Viable transportation, sustainable housing and affordable food supply are the core essentials to attaining a future functioning economy for Millenials. Lowering costs of transport, housing and food security are Globalization’s legacy impacts. Failure to meet the needs of our future leaders in any one of these fundamental areas have adverse impacts across the globe for earth legacy.

Building de-carbonized transport pipelines on electrons for people beyond 6% is TSLA strategy. Moving electrons instead of energy density weighted fuel enables distributed energy, production and disaggregation of petroleum fossil fuel industries. It’s to provide mere mortals the means of energy production, distribution and to participate in its profits. Going forward TSLA can enable further disruption to cost constraints to extend reach to buy transport itself beyond 6% by other means.

Robotaxi, I see as just one means to reducing cost of ownership and pathway to individual BEV affordability. IF TSLA cannot reduce its retail, it can increase the ability of its products to do work. Solar panels, powerwalls and BEV all come together to form an economical means to affordability, pathway to sustainability and viable economic alternative to wealth creation. Robotaxi enables powerwall, provides a means to solar array begets a private BEV.

Your assertion remains that the outright buy below the $40k USD average awaits technological breakthrough not yet envisioned. Can Robotaxi drop BEV avg. retail price? Powerwall offsets? Solar disounts?

Globalisation insures 1% remain the wealth class, 6% upper class. Tesla’s thereafter are sales constrained into a class of martgage loan buyers. Will Bankers create a million mile loan? That’s where Millennials are headed if housing and food security are trumped by lower wages.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your assertion remains that the outright buy below the $40k USD average awaits technological breakthrough not yet envisioned. Can Robotaxi drop BEV avg. retail price? Powerwall offsets? Solar disounts?
Not asserting that at all. I was simply refuting the notion that $40K is too high for the average new car buyer to afford.

EV prices will naturally continue to decline with volume of production and constant improvements in the production processes of batteries and vehicles. The car industry was stuck in a rut. Tesla is showing them they need to be lean and mean if they want a chance at being able to compete.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Well, they can only take the cost of the tortilla, but not the full price of the taco. So the rest sits in the bank and the SEC eyes it suspiciously so they don't treat it like a piggybank.

-Crissa
That's not how any of this works, either from a sale of a car, FSD or Tesla Tequila, Tesla manages its cash and not SEC. Tesla can spend FSD or any cash available as they please. Now if Tesla were to include those amounts as revenue/net income on their financial statements without actually delivering to the clients, then SEC would be all over them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's not how any of this works, either from a sale of a car, FSD or Tesla Tequila, Tesla manages its cash and not SEC.
I didn't say otherwise.

Tesla can spend FSD or any cash available as they please. Now if Tesla were to include those amounts as revenue/net income on their financial statements without actually delivering to the clients, then SEC would be all over them.
That is what I said. So it sits in a bank account and the SEC eyes how much they grab out. Cash is fungible, so there isn't a specific physical pile, but there is an entry on their savings.

-Crissa

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I didn't say otherwise.

That is what I said. So it sits in a bank account and the SEC eyes how much they grab out. Cash is fungible, so there isn't a specific physical pile, but there is an entry on their savings.

-Crissa
That's what you actually said "Tesla cannot actually access the FSD monies until they release features" - I am saying yes they can. If by saying money you don't mean cash and cash equivalents, I don't know what you mean.

You're still wrong saying that SEC eyes Tesla's bank account - it doesn't

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's what you actually said "Tesla cannot actually access the FSD monies until they release features" - I am saying...
They can't. It would bring criminal investigations.

There's no reason to quibble between can't steal and won't steal. They cannot do this if they want to remain a company.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
dont they make up what costs what, so they can just say the recent features cost x amount of millions to roll out?

i dont even remember why this was brought up

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
dont they make up what costs what, so they can just say the recent features cost x amount of millions to roll out?

i dont even remember why this was brought up
Well, yes. But they have to hedge their numbers, lest a court says no, you haven't put out 90% of the features so you can't have 90% of the monies.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Inflation is evident everywhere, except on those things people rarely buy.

More money chasing less goods is inflation ( another way is goods cost more or the currency loses its purchasing power) and the Central Banks are going BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in an unprecedented feverish pitch.

Many people say the various worldwide Central Banks are criminal rackets that cook the books and outrightedly manipulate stats, but what's new?

CT prices will increase, just how much is the question.

By the by, BUY SILVER and GOLD!

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dude, the Model 3, which Elon says costs more to build than the Cybertruck, has dropped thousands of dollars in price since release (for the same configuration).

Why are you stuck on this weird concept that the Cybertruck will rise in price?

-Crissa
Sponsored